Overview of FO moves in three areas QB, OL & WR | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overview of FO moves in three areas QB, OL & WR

Alxphins

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I understand all the discussion about it just being minicamp and that it is too early to make judgments and I agree with that. However, biases aside (I believe) this is why I am nervous about this season and refuse to give our Front Office anythin better than an incomplete for the offseason:

1.) Quarterback situation: We have Feilder an average Quarterback who plays well at times but makes, in my opinion, too many mistakes in critical situations, tends to play poorly in the 4th quarter (low QB rating). Not consistent enough but can win games if the defense is playing well. Also injured too often.

Then there is Feeley truly an unknown. Could be good but, I think, it is impossible to tell. Pros - Went 4-1 as an Eagle q-b (played well but did not dominate in those situations) Cons - Could not beat out Koy Detmer as the 2nd string QB (which is the one things that kills me when I really think about it.) and limited experience. Overall I just don't know what to make of his stint in Philly because I heard that during his 4-1 run the Philly defense played out of its mind and gave up something like 6 points a game.

Sage - unknown, good potential but no experience

2) O-line - This is the biggest question mark for me. One solid pick up in James. I think Wade Smith will get better. Vernon Carey is a solid pick. Then we have Mckinney who I can't help but think of in terms of getting beat constantly by Chris Horvan that year we played Minnesota up there. But I think that is short sighted on my part and I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Then the right side we try to fix with an injured free agent pick up in McIntosh and a dubious performer in St. Clair. They could end up being good pick ups but I think they can be busts just as easily. I know in life there are no sure things, but I am pretty confident James will be solid as will Smith. I simply do not have that level of confidence in anyone else (Carey only because he is a rookie and might take a little time). In my opinion this front office always try to make the "super find" by signing someone who is not expensive but "could become great" (Charlie Rogers - bust, Darius Thompson-bust, A.J Feeley - to be determined, St. Clair - to be determined, McIntosh - to be determined) and while that has happended the odds are usually against you when you do that.

3. Wide Receiver - David Boston could be great or could be a head case. I think this is a good pick-up but again it is the same MO, get some one that is good but only if we can get him on the cheap. May turn out to be great but if he does not mark my words you will hear this from the Front Office -- "atleast we did not give up much to get him". If no Boston relying on unknowns again with potential.

To sum it up I just think the philosophy of the Front Office to try to constantly get "deals" without overspending has been debilitating to our offense. I would rather give up more and get a someone who is more of a certainty. We owe it to this defense. Just think if we would have signed Woody (and not signed McIntosh and St. Clair) our line would be Smith, James, McKinney Woody, Carey. That sound alot better to me.

Anyway I have a friend who is a Bears fan and he told me the year we hired Wanny, that we would be sorry because while he is a good coach, he is a horrible personnel person and he does not know it and while he is a very nice guy he just does not make good decision in all aspects of running a football team outside of coaching. His words were "In a few years the Phins will be a mess." I hope he ends up being wrong but he looks pretty prophetic right now.

Alxphins

While I can't say I disagree with your Fiedler comments, I addressed your QB comments here:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=503250&postcount=96

So, I won't repeat myself.

The only other sticking point in your analysis IMO is your comment about signing Woody. It's my understanding that we WERE in fact ready to throw a nice bankroll at him... he just didn't want to play here. I fail to see how that is our FOs fault.

The only other sticking point in your analysis IMO is your comment about signing Woody. It's my understanding that we WERE in fact ready to throw a nice bankroll at him... he just didn't want to play here. I fail to see how that is our FOs fault.

I see it as their fault. They had no business offering Woody that much money in the first place. We got a guy who can make just as big an impact at guard and be twice the leader Woody is, for literally half the price. And I'm not just saying that as a miami homer. James is the genuinely better leader, and though Woody has superior skills, at guard they would be wasted in a position where a more incomplete player like James can make almost as big an impact.

Thanks for your comments regarding Feeley they were insightful. As for Woody you may be right that he did not want to sign here, but my point is that our effort was so limited that we could not even get him to visit. Also, I am bothered that there have been a few O-lineman we have not wanted to "overpay for" -- Turley, Woody (I know we offered Tait a boat load so I will not include him here) and Welbourne (did not trade for him because he would cost too much) and a number of gambles we made (relying on Dixon and Nails to regain their forms after injuries rather than spend money). If we would have signed just one of these guys I would be happier, because each of them is a proven, good consistent player at the very least, we cannot say that about anyone that we signed other than James.

Anyway I truly do hope my angst is misplaced and I am wrong, then I will happily admit it! I know when the season is about to statrt I will have convionced myself that we made all the right choices.

I've only heard positive things about Sage this season. Is he a career backup or may we see him take a shot at first spot some day?.

touborg said:
I've only heard positive things about Sage this season. Is he a career backup or may we see him take a shot at first spot some day?.

I guess the jury's out on Sage... he looked OK in TC/PS last season, but not good enough to move up the depth chart.
Some of Wanny's comments lately, may lead one to believe that the competition is open between all 3 QBs... but that's making an assumption, based on indirect comments... so... who knows? :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom