Owusu | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Owusu

Once a fumbler, always a fumbler.
The position should be wide open, and looking to upgrade from Grant.
He shows flashes of potential, but the NFL trash heap is loaded with guys like that.
If he doesn't hold onto the ball, all his good plays are wiped out.
Punt or kick off return fumbles are HUGE and momentum changers.
It cannot happen. Period.

He shows flashes of potential, but the NFL trash heap is loaded with guys like that.

Not so true.

I remember Tiki Barber was a notorious fumbler early in his career, Coughlin came in and fixed that **** and Tiki became a top notch RB.

Probably other instances too, but cant think of any off the top of my head. I'm not saying its easy to fix, but it can be fixed if the player has the right mindset and is open to coaching.

He had 254 catches in college so obviously he can catch but the guy only averaged like 12.9 yard per catch in college. Not a lot for a 4.34 guy.

I hope Grant can hold onto the ball because he has great big play potential.
I do know that Gase will cut him if he cant.
Hoping for the best for him and our team.

So, Adrian Peterson was a fumbler. He got over it. There was a time when some people actually preferred Jamaal Charles to Adrian Peterson ... and the fumbles were part of their reasoning. IMHO, fumbles are important, and while fixing them can be taught, it must be proved that it is learned and implemented ... like with Ajayi last year ... he learned and implemented ball security. I'm all for seeing if Grant can learn and implement it too, because his stop-start lateral agility and instant acceleration remind me of Barry Sanders. No, I'm not saying he is as good as Sanders ... but honestly, no other NFL player that I can remember has that sort of ability to stop on a dime, then instantly accelerate, or change directions so insanely quickly since Sanders.

I definitely would not give up on Grant yet. And, as Adrian Peterson showed ... once a fumbler may not always be a fumbler. There are some exceptions to that rule.

Owusu moves well for a guy his size. He's got pure upside.

If he can develop, he'd easily step in for either Parker or Stills. The same cannot be said for Carroo.

If Miami is willing to carry a WR on the roster with as limited skills and production as Carroo, they might as well carry one that has real NFL upside.

People talking Grant on the hot seat. Well, getting real, perhaps the only 3 Miami WRs that shouldn't be on the hot seat are Parker, Landry and Stills. Carroo made less plays than Grant, and Grant's more at risk? Doesn't sound right, imo. Just because you massively hurt last year's draft and this year's draft by trading three picks for a player that no one else wanted [at that level], don't double down on stupid.

Take the players with the best skills. And if you're doing to develop a person low on the depth chart, choose one that can fill multiple NFL caliber positions.

LD

LD loves to swing for the fences which is great as you need stars to win. Just how many stars?

Miami wins too many 4th Q games to risk giving the opponent excellent field positioning due to the punt returner being stupid (which is why Landry is put in). You gotta have a guy you can depend on - not just to catch the punt, but to make smart decisions near the endzone.

LD loves to swing for the fences which is great as you need stars to win. Just how many stars?

As many as possible, lol.

And more than we've had to this point. To this point, in the last decade, Miami Dolphins have been content to get *starters.* Nevermind if your *starter* would be third string on another team. And fans have fallen into the same trap: oh, look, we got a starter! Gradually, some fans have wakened from the stupor and starting analyzing players FAR ahead of management. To wit, even Gase, a vast improvement on what has been, wasted HALF A YEAR because he couldn't determine that Dallas Thomas was a huge liability as a player. Even if a starter. And more, even Gase, an improvement, pulled a classic Miami Dolphins blunder by getting high on a player that no one else valued that highly, giving up three draft picks (messing up this year's draft chances and hurting other positions) for a player that is 4th or 5th on a depth chart and not a difference maker. Didn't help team in slightest. Why? The historical Miami fallacy of investing major draft resources in LOW CEILING, fairly dumb, non-athletic players.

Basically, good times take multiple chances at every possible position -- where the guys you're developing have real upside. Miami hasn't done that for years. They've taken nondescript starters that would be backups on other teams, and then gotten backups that can't challenge those nondescript starters. Just happy with "able to get by in spot duty" players.

At some point, that has to change. I've been banging that drum for years. Often getting mocked for it. And fans wonder why the product on the field never excels. Surprised and shocked that Miami can't challenge for divine titles anymore, where playoff success is a dream.

Well, it's not rocket science. You get the best skill position players possible. And provide best unit play possible. And get real coaches.

LD

Yes I have noticed that point in your threads for quite awhile. So my questions to you even though I feel like this is one of the best drafts I have seen from us in awhile did it fit your criteria of obtaining the players we need to take the next steps and how much of a footprint do you think Gase had on this draft

Owusu measured 6'3" 221, ran a 4.37 in the 40 and had an almost 40 inch vertical jump. He has the triangle numbers of a top notch WR but was a big time underachiever at Stanford.

Yes I have noticed that point in your threads for quite awhile. So my questions to you even though I feel like this is one of the best drafts I have seen from us in awhile did it fit your criteria of obtaining the players we need to take the next steps and how much of a footprint do you think Gase had on this draft

I'm not sure how much of a footprint that Gase had on this draft, except to say that this draft felt different -- it had none of the "I don't know what I'm doing, so let me trade up for a player that's not a playmaker" vibe. Players were taken where slotted for decent value, for the most part. This draft felt different, but it's too early to say if it will bring better results.

As far as did this draft fit my criteria of what it takes to build a successful team, I'd give it a C+ or a B-. Miami started off in the same ole same ole by drafting Harris in the 1st. Wrong foot, big time, imo.

Then, Miami was missing two draft picks on the back end, where lost value could have been made up. I'm counting Carroo against this draft, btw. This could have been a team-changing, future-changing draft IF Miami had the two additional picks on the back end, and had traded down in the first for an extra second or third. They could have picked up better upside DE (tho more raw), and added potentially three more players in rounds 2, 3 and 4. IF they had done that, and filled with quality playmakers and upside players at DL, LB, S or more OL, wow! THAT's how you build a team in the draft.

Everyone looking at this draft in terms of "Don't you like the players brought in?" is missing some of the point. The point is this: IF the right thing had been done last year, they'd have had two draft picks in round 3 and 4, higher than the comp picks. And IF they had done the right thing in trading down from Harris (a player that's low-level athlete and so sloppy that its gonna take two years of development to turn him into an average DE), they'd have had another additional pick in round 2-3. Spend those kinds of picks on developing players with upside at positions of need, and that's how you build a team over time that will compete for division titles and eventually super bowls.

Miami has its QB. Miami has its coach. That's two huge elements of need right there.

the problem is: does Miami have a top ten D? And a top ten OL? Those are almost necessary, to consistent super bowl runs.

No, Miami doesn't have those last two things. And jury is out if Miami has a front office ever capable of gaining those things, across an entire team.

LD

Owusu measured 6'3" 221, ran a 4.37 in the 40 and had an almost 40 inch vertical jump. He has the triangle numbers of a top notch WR but was a big time underachiever at Stanford.

Insane upside.

IF he has any THERE there, a good coach and decent QB can take that upside and find a big time playmaker. Not only does he have those numbers, he moves well in short space (better than Parker, for instance). If he can be helped with the game between his ears, lookout.

A lot to like on taking chances with upside players.

LD

Interesting and I agree. This draft felt different but a little light in pants the first couple of days. Harris a talented, raw player with lots of drive, McMillan a hard nosed player more run dimensionable than I would like,l and Tankersley kind of boom or bust. The last day was a bit more exciting given the upside of the players based on the round they were taken.

I'm not sure how much of a footprint that Gase had on this draft, except to say that this draft felt different -- it had none of the "I don't know what I'm doing, so let me trade up for a player that's not a playmaker" vibe. Players were taken where slotted for decent value, for the most part. This draft felt different, but it's too early to say if it will bring better results.

LD
The three most famous words on this forum, "could'a, would'a, should'a". It's easy to sit there behind a keyboard and quote what you would've done after the fact. It doesn't impress me. The draft is nothing if not dynamic, it's not a static thing. Maybe the past FO was inadequate, that doesn't mean this new one is. The moment you think you're smarter than the professionals you lose all credibility.

Back
Top Bottom