"Parcells Guys" an overused term? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Parcells Guys" an overused term?

Dolfan_Noles

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bill seems to be bucking the trend of what everyone expected us to do.

All that I heard from everyone (fans, media) for weeks before free agency was a couple of things:

a) Don't expect Parcells to make a splash in free agency. He will bring in a couple of his guys, then build through the draft.

b) Parcells will only sign under-the-radar guys that will fit in to his sytem.

c) Don't expect us to spend much money on any one guy.

d) Parcells will not touch anyone with character issues.

I have to say that while some of these things turned out to be the case (Justin Smiley, Jason Ferguson fit the mold), a lot of it was just flat wrong.

I don't think that anyone saw us making a run at a guy like Ernest Wilford or Josh McCown. I don't think that anyone would have predicted that we would trade a pick for Ferguson (remember, building through the draft) or that we would bring in Starks (character issues), or throw money at Calvin Pace. I am pretty surprised overall just because of all of the information that was out there prior to free agency. I also would never have seen us making a run at Michael Turner.

I love the way that it's unfolding though! I would be exstatic if we were able to bring in Walker and Pace today. Wilson would just be icing on the cake. What's up with the lack of updates from PFT, Rotoworld, and the like this morning?

I agree with the points about "Parcell's guys". Lets be honest, if we sign Calvin it is a "bigger" contract, but certainly attainable and a need at this point for the Defense the Dolphins will be running. McCown is the better young QB in the FA pool, Randy Starks has some potential left to grow as a player at 24, and Smiley and Ferguson are just overall great additions. Ernest Wilford, although not the best WR FA, is a good posession guy and with a lot of picks in this year's draft, we can draft another wide receiver in round 3 or 4.

'Parcells guys' is a term which has got borderline annoying, yes. People seemingly knowing exactly who Bill Parcells would and wouldn't pick are a bit farcical. The shock when a 'non-Parcells guy' is brought in is kind of irritating too eg. 'Ian Gold? He's not a Parcells guy!'

Also, asides from anything, don't Jeff Ireland and Tony Sporano get any say in what guys are brought in? If Jeff Ireland doesn't have some responsibility getting players, what's he getting paid for at this point?

Did you watch Parcell's press conference?

He said miami will have players that fit the size and system.
Parecell's found 'parcell's guys' in the GM, Head Coach, and assistants... now he is finding it with players.

I guess we could start using the term 'Miami's Guys', 'Ireland's Guys'

I dont know why so many people thought that we wouldn't be a big player early in FA. If you look at Parcells history, he usually will jump right out of the gate, get the guys he wants at the price he wants and then call it a day.

Based off of what hes done in the past you can expect him to pick up a few more guys, and then lay low untill the draft.

Bill seems to be bucking the trend of what everyone expected us to do.

All that I heard from everyone (fans, media) for weeks before free agency was a couple of things:

a) Don't expect Parcells to make a splash in free agency. He will bring in a couple of his guys, then build through the draft.

b) Parcells will only sign under-the-radar guys that will fit in to his sytem.

c) Don't expect us to spend much money on any one guy.

d) Parcells will not touch anyone with character issues.

a) By splash in free agency people mean Samuels, Faneca, Briggs etc

b) How many of the guys that we have signed are not under the radar?

c) So far he is spending market value previous regimes would have paid smiley what the jets paid faneca

d) He did sign Owens...

Thats what he did. He completely transformed the defense signing any and all guys who have played in or fit the 3-4.

And why is Wilford not the type of player he was wanting. He's a big physical possesion guy?

McCown was signed because we had one QB on the roster and we had to get a guy who could come in and start. Wasnt much to choose from.

Smiley is an OLman.

All of these signings are Parcells guys in that they were necessary to fit the 3-4, or a need (QB, WR, OL). The only question against what you said was the character issues of Starks. Everything else was pretty much what was being speculated and pretty much expected. Complete transformation of the front 7 requires signing alot of new guys.

Back
Top Bottom