Pass Rusher in the 1st round......is it the best option? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pass Rusher in the 1st round......is it the best option?

I agree that it could be improved. I just feel that the improvements needed are more in the secondary, specifically the Clemons, Smith, and Bell spot. No hands, no play making ability.

The fact that Von Miller is an OLB, which is an important and difficult position, and is so highly rated, would make me think twice before drafting any offensive player. But I think I'd still take Mallett.

I agree with drafting Von Miller, but if Kerrigan runs a 4.7 I would spend the 15th on him as well. I think he would make a seemless adjustment to OLB in the 3-4, but if he doesn't have the athleticism needed, he would be just as lame as Mike Vrabel was this year.
All the smarts and intangibles in the world don't help if you just can't get there. However, didn't I see Kerrigan cut Locke off in the senior bowl today? A slow guy would not have made that play, and he made it easily.

I would also acquire Mathias Kiwanuka in FA. Risky because of his injury history, but a seasoned veteran who played both LB and DE for the Giants. A healthy Kiwanuka could turn out to be one of the best situational pass rushers in the NFL, in the mold of Bertrand Berry.

I would also look to acquire Shaun Rogers. Collapsing the middle of the pocket on 2nd, and 3rd and long is severely underrated.

In the new age of the NFL, making QB's like virgin hymens, the defensive pass rush must be prioritized. Pressures and hits must become just as valueable as sacks.

Misi is going to be a great football player but I would give him a year to transition from DE/OLB to ILB. Takeo Spikes would be an affordable acquisition to give Misi a little time to become the next Urlacher.

Von Miller wouldn't have fell to the 15 spot before the Sebior Bowl showing. He was a top 10 pick the moment he declared.

You dudes not watch college football at all? This dude is insane. He's probably the third or fourth best player in this year's draft behind Patrick Peterson, Nick Fairley, and Da'Quan Bowers.

Von Miller wouldn't have fell to the 15 spot before the Sebior Bowl showing. He was a top 10 pick the moment he declared.

You dudes not watch college football at all? This dude is insane. He's probably the third or fourth best player in this year's draft behind Patrick Peterson, Nick Fairley, and Da'Quan Bowers.

Yeah i was just saying he is the best of a good class of pass rushers, Houston and the rest are all potentially very good pickups, though with quinn i am not sure because he missed the season. And lke some have said getting that pass rusher wold allow us to either have depth at OLB or move Misi and improve 2 position with one move.

So your argument is right and Miller will probably be gone, the only reason i said was because he weighed in smaller than expected but then went into beast mode and made himself a lock for top 10.

Von Miller is your pick at #15............

Von Miller is your pick at #15............

Von Miller will never make it to 15. The OP is right that we're gonna be in a tough spot at 15.

I see these players being gone.

QB: Gabbert, Newton
WR: Green, Jones
DT: Fairley, Dareus
DE: Bowers, Quinn
CB: Peterson, Amukamara
LB: Miller

Those 11 are probably a lock to be off the baord with Newton just needing a good combine. After that, I'm not even so sure Mark Ingram makes it to our pick. I wouldn't put it past DET to scoop him up. Jahvid Best didn't prove that he can be a featured back. And so many teams are running two RB systems that, Ingram could go just about anywhere outside the top 10.

There are a few more pass rushers who will compete for that top 15 and Ryan Mallett could still improve his stock. The other guy who could be top 15 (and particularly make sense for us) is OT Derrick Sherrod. He's more of a RT but at least he had a good showing at the Senior Bowl (much better than Solder and Castanzo). Finally, we could also look at Baylor NT Phil Taylor. He dominated at the Senior Bowl but has off field concerns.

Anyway, I still doubt we pick at 15. I see us trading down.

I'm afraid they'll trade down and take Kaepernick (who I think is getting too much hype now). I'd rather we trade down and take Christian Ponder, Leonard Hankerson or Mikel Leshoure.

With the 30th worst offense and investing so much in the D already. I never considered going defense again with the 1st pick. Dolphinator530-why do we have to hope for a CBA if we want to trade down-am I misreadin your 2nd paragraph? A CBA does not need to be in place to trade draft picks, just to trade player.

This had me scratching my head as well. What does the CBA have to do with our ability to trade draft picks up or down?

Von Miller will never make it to 15. The OP is right that we're gonna be in a tough spot at 15.

I see these players being gone.

QB: Gabbert, Newton
WR: Green, Jones
DT: Fairley, Dareus
DE: Bowers, Quinn
CB: Peterson, Amukamara
LB: Miller

Those 11 are probably a lock to be off the baord with Newton just needing a good combine. After that, I'm not even so sure Mark Ingram makes it to our pick. I wouldn't put it past DET to scoop him up. Jahvid Best didn't prove that he can be a featured back. And so many teams are running two RB systems that, Ingram could go just about anywhere outside the top 10.

There are a few more pass rushers who will compete for that top 15 and Ryan Mallett could still improve his stock. The other guy who could be top 15 (and particularly make sense for us) is OT Derrick Sherrod. He's more of a RT but at least he had a good showing at the Senior Bowl (much better than Solder and Castanzo). Finally, we could also look at Baylor NT Phil Taylor. He dominated at the Senior Bowl but has off field concerns.

Anyway, I still doubt we pick at 15. I see us trading down.

I'm afraid they'll trade down and take Kaepernick (who I think is getting too much hype now). I'd rather we trade down and take Christian Ponder, Leonard Hankerson or Mikel Leshoure.

How do you figure Sherrod's more of a RT prospect?

Yeah 15 isn't looking real good right now, unless teams reach for some of the quarterbacks which will probably happen. I don't think Miami is in the best trade down position either, but you never know what other teams might do and who slides if those top four qb's go faster than expected. As to Miller, I think he vaulted himself into the top 10 with his senior bowl performance. Ryan Kerrigan is an interesting prospect and seems like the type this front office would like. We do need another pass rusher for sure so I agree with you there, but I think Mark Ingram may end up being the best talent on board.

Every year there is some defensive phenom who gets the hype. Last year it was Eric Berry is a must, or you are an idiot. This year it's Von Miller, end all be all solution to defensive problems. Brandon Graham opposite Wake. Odrick was compared to Ngata. Soliai couldn't cut it. Oh lord, spare me please!

Well if you want to trade down you need to start praying that a new CBA is stricken here in the next 6 or 8 weeks. Which will be hard considering that I dont think the sides are very interested in speaking with each other for a few months and probably wont come to a deal until right before the season if at all this year.

And Mallet is not our best option, he has to many flaws and runs a wide open 1 read system at Arkansas. While he can go through multiple reads he is not great at and i do not think the Dolphins are high on him.

Like grey said, Quinn, Houston, Miller would make our D scary and you can get speedy skill players in rounds 2 (through player trades) and 3 along with FA to boost the O
What's the scouting report on Houston? Is he considered a 1st rounder?

Yeah 15 isn't looking real good right now, unless teams reach for some of the quarterbacks which will probably happen. I don't think Miami is in the best trade down position either, but you never know what other teams might do and who slides if those top four qb's go faster than expected. As to Miller, I think he vaulted himself into the top 10 with his senior bowl performance. Ryan Kerrigan is an interesting prospect and seems like the type this front office would like. We do need another pass rusher for sure so I agree with you there, but I think Mark Ingram may end up being the best talent on board.

IF WE COULDN'T TRADE DOWN, I know Kerrigan would be a solid pick but I'd really rather go offense - either Mark Ingram or Leonard Hankersom or Mikel Leshoure.

Yeah 15 isn't looking real good right now, unless teams reach for some of the quarterbacks which will probably happen.

Like Seattle?

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I don't think Miami is in the best trade down position either, but you never know what other teams might do

Lets hope Philly gets anxious and really wants Solder or Sherrod. Reid & Co have been known to move up i.e. Graham last yr. The phins could then acquire Kendricks from Wisconsin & a 2nd round pick.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
Ryan Kerrigan is an interesting prospect and seems like the type this front office would like.We do need another pass rusher for sure...

Agreed, but, Mayock hit the nail on the head when he said Kerrigan is a 4-3 LDE. If Edwards leaves in FA Minny could grap him.

If Miller is gone, Ayres (UCLA) should still be on the board.

What's the scouting report on Houston? Is he considered a 1st rounder?

In the midst of a breakout season at Georgia, Houston is propelling himself up NFL Draft boards at a rapid rate. The outside OLB/DE showed signs of things to come with seven sacks in 2009, but nothing could have predicted this. Through nine games as a junior, Houston has a whopping 15.5 tackles for loss (10 more than any other player on the team) and nine sacks (6.5 more than any other Bulldog). He also has a ridiculous 35 quarterback hurries (23 more than any of his teammates). For good measure, Houston has added a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. Houston has good size at 6'3'' and 258 pounds. He looks like a defensive end, and that's exactly what he might play at the next level in a 4-3 scheme. In a 3-4 defense he can set up at rush linebacker. Houston has been clocked as fast as 4.64 in the 40-yard dash, but he will want to improve on that if he wants to establish himself as a sure-thing first-rounder. Prior to this season he looked like a third-rounder at best. If he continues at this pace and leaves early, a first-round selection is possible.

So not only has he had experience in a true 3-4 system he has excelled. If he has good workouts he will easily be a 1st rounder

Back
Top Bottom