Pat Kirwan mock draft 5/2/14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat Kirwan mock draft 5/2/14

Horrible!!!!

Who's horrible, Kouandjio? Maybe for trend followers who don't realize that his knee checks out fine. He dominated on an unbelieveable Alabama OL the last few years- devastating drive blocker who is good in pass pro and looks tailor made for RT in the NFL. Elite prospect coming out of high school elite player at Alabama at a severe need position for us. Don't believe the recent negative hype, I doubt that NFL front office execs are. Check out the drive blocking here at 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ftjlxQUD0

That's what we need. The recent superficial fad is that Koundjio isn't a 1st rd pick. I'm not into superficial fads, and I'm not buying it. Too much evidence to the contrary.

Kouandjio is the likely pick...If I were picking I would take care of the o-line after round 1 if the top 4 are gone...but if they are sold on Kouandgio's health, its a good need pick.

Kouandjio didn't dominate squat last year. There's discussion his knee was a problem, or that he was giving up his own good positioning to assist his brother at guard. Either way it puts a question mark on him. At 19 if you aren't sure about a guy then you pass.

I still think the team can still fill their offensive line needs in R2-R4. I see Kouandijio as a guard, where I think he will be very good. He is too slow IMO to play tackle. The Dolphins may have a shot an an elite talent at #19 or could trade down perhaps with a team like San Francisco and get more picks.

Kouandjio didn't dominate squat last year. There's discussion his knee was a problem, or that he was giving up his own good positioning to assist his brother at guard. Either way it puts a question mark on him. At 19 if you aren't sure about a guy then you pass.

Watch more tape. He was nearly a consensus All American last year, granted he had a better year in 2012. he gave up 1.5 sacks on something like 300 snaps last year before the bowl game, had a bad bowl game and now there's the typical overreaction. One of the best and most prominent orthopedic surgeons in the world says that his knee checks out fine, that's good enough for me. Dude is a much needed mauler in the running game and he'll be fine in pass pro at RT. DJ Fluker was the #11 pick last year and Kouandjio is the better player.

I still think the team can still fill their offensive line needs in R2-R4. I see Kouandijio as a guard, where I think he will be very good. He is too slow IMO to play tackle. The Dolphins may have a shot an an elite talent at #19 or could trade down perhaps with a team like San Francisco and get more picks.

I'm just not buying that. I'd have some questions as per quickness at LT but at RT he'll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2TJ8KDsDA8

As a sidenote I was just thinking about Cordy Glenn who was taken 1 pick before Jonathan Martin in 2012, that would have solved our RT problem right there.

Here's some film of Koundjio going against Virginia Tech, which I think gives a good lookk at him as a mauling run blocker and good pass protector. I like this clip because it lets me see not only Koundjio but antoher of my favorites, VT DE James Gayle #99. At 1:10 you can see him make a nice inside move from his LDE position and then he uses his speed, quicks and tracking ability to put good pressure on the QB. What I particularly like is his footwork, those quick feet while in pursuit of the QB remind me of Tank Carradine from FSU and now the 49ers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ftjlxQUD0

My preference is still for Misi to suck it up and go to MLB, Dion Jordan to go where he belongs at OLB and draft James Gayle and put him right onto the DE rotation with Wake and Vernon. Also on the play before you can see a pretty interesting MLB Jack Tyler shoot up a middle gap and blow up a running play at 1:00. He might be one to watch in later rounds, as might be a MLB who I'm becoming a fan of, Preston Brown from Louisville.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mosely (beast mode) or Cooks (another Desean jackson) would be the pick in that mock.
No way we are taking the 3rd or 4th best player at a position at #19. We are not that desperate and Hickey look for other oline options in round 2-4

I don't know which is worse, the jests landing Ebron or us landing the 5th or 6th best OT with injury issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Jimmie Ward to the Ravens is a great pick. I had the Ravens in a mock and made the same call. His cover skills are the best of any FS prospect since Earl Thomas (imo). I feel like he's going higher than people think.

It doesn't matter where Kouandjio is ranked in a deep OT draft class, what matters is how good he is or isn't. The 4th ranked OT could easily go #12 overall, that's how it goes. As to the injury reports, edumacate yourself:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ews-says-no-issues-with-cyrus-kouandjios-knee

Whatever makes you feel better, bubba. A reach is a reach. The draft is deep, but also top heavy. Kouandjio isn't in the same league as Robinson or Matthews. Hell, not even Lewan. Martin brings versatility that K doesn't. Then you add the very real potential of injury issues, not only with his knee, but also the fact that he's played for Alabama against SEC opponents, and you have a reason why he's a reach at that spot. The draft being deep means you can get similar talent with similar risks later on. After Martin, there's a drop off.

A medical report saying a player is A-OK being released just before a draft? Never seen one of those before. Agents and schools will do whatever they can to pump up the value of their players. There's a real life edumacation for you, free of charge.

Whatever makes you feel better, bubba. A reach is a reach. The draft is deep, but also top heavy. Kouandjio isn't in the same league as Robinson or Matthews. Hell, not even Lewan. Martin brings versatility that K doesn't. Then you add the very real potential of injury issues, not only with his knee, but also the fact that he's played for Alabama against SEC opponents, and you have a reason why he's a reach at that spot. The draft being deep means you can get similar talent with similar risks later on. After Martin, there's a drop off.

A medical report saying a player is A-OK being released just before a draft? Never seen one of those before. Agents and schools will do whatever they can to pump up the value of their players. There's a real life edumacation for you, free of charge.

Do you have any idea of who Dr. James Andrews is and what his international reputation is? If he's not the most renowned orthopedic surgeon in the world, he's up there.

"Andrews, the team doctor for the Washington Redskins NFL franchise, has consulted with or worked on a Who’s Who of professional athletes in the United States, including Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Michael Jordan, Jack Nicklaus, Adrian Peterson, Albert Pujols, Bo Jackson, Roger Clemens and many more."

http://www.realvail.com/vonn-switches-surgeons-acl-repaired-dr-jim-andrews/a484

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Andrews_(physician)

Not that long ago Koundjio was considered a solid top 20 pick. What changed more than anything are the whims of perception, and that doesn't concern me. Dude is a solid, solid football player that imo is tailor made for NFL RT. Better player than teammate DJ Fluker who was the #11 overall pick in 2012.

As to your education, now maybe now you've learned that Dr. Andrews isn't some backwoods doctor who's going to sign off on an injury to make a coach, player or agent happy. Look at the pressure that he put on Shanahan as per the RGIII situation- Shanahan took his own counsel instead of listening to Andrews and it cost him his job and RGIII another reconstruction.

As to Lewan, it wasn't long ago that Kouanjio was considered his equal or better. Lewan has excellent straight line speed but a choppy kickslide, and Koundjio is the better power player. I don't know at all that I would take Lewan over Koundjio, especially for RT. All the new opinions of Kouandjio are of a flavor of the month/ go with the crowd mentality that don't examine what's really going on beneath the surface. False knee rumors and he ran a slow 40, bfd. All the new opinions are good for a chuckle, and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any idea of who Dr. James Andrews is and what his international reputation is? If he's not the most renowned orthopedic surgeon in the world, he's up there.

"Andrews, the team doctor for the Washington Redskins NFL franchise, has consulted with or worked on a Who’s Who of professional athletes in the United States, including Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Michael Jordan, Jack Nicklaus, Adrian Peterson, Albert Pujols, Bo Jackson, Roger Clemens and many more."

http://www.realvail.com/vonn-switches-surgeons-acl-repaired-dr-jim-andrews/a484

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Andrews_(physician)

Not that long ago Koundjio was considered a solid top 20 pick. What changed more than anything are the whims of perception, and that doesn't concern me. Dude is a solid, solid football player that imo is tailor made for NFL RT. Better player than teammate DJ Fluker who was the #11 overall pick in 2012.

As to your education, now maybe now you've learned that Dr. Andrews isn't some backwoods doctor who's going to sign off on an injury to make a coach, player or agent happy. Look at the pressure that he put on Shanahan as per the RGIII situation- Shanahan took his own counsel instead of listening to Andrews and it cost him his job and RGIII another reconstruction.

As to Lewan, it wasn't long ago that Kouanjio was considered his equal or better. Lewan has excellent straight line speed but a choppy kickslide, and Koundjio is the better power player. I don't know at all that I would take Lewan over Koundjio, especially for RT. All the new opinions of Kouandjio are of a flavor of the month/ go with the crowd mentality that don't examine what's really going on beneath the surface. False knee rumors and he ran a slow 40, bfd. All the new opinions are good for a chuckle, and that's about it.

Cool story. I know who Dr. Andrews is and I'll even buy that the surgery wasn't botched. What I won't buy is that his knee isn't going to cause him problems through his career. Hey, if 2014 was all we were drafting for, sure, sign me up. That's not the case though.

So, there are a few strikes against him IMO, with the biggest one being that I have no interest in drafting straight up RT at 19. Martin is a minor exception due to his versatility, but even then I'm not a huge fan, more indifferent.

As for Lewan, I also have no interest in Incognito Jr, not that he would fall to us anyways.

Back
Top Bottom