Pat White, the deep ball and other options | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat White, the deep ball and other options

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was watching this video and thinking that defensive coordinatiors are going to have their hands full with Pat White this year. Specifically, with Chad Pennington's arm strength limitations, I'm wondering if we'll be seeing more of him than expected. He throws a great deep ball, which will open up things for Teddy Ginn. He can obviously run, so good luck to CB's and Safeties in terms of providing both run/scramble support and covering Ginn deep. Then you have Ricky Williams as a consideration with an option pitch and you have to account for Ronnie Brown, with some of the best hands in the NFL among RB's, either going in motion or sliding out of the backfield. Then you have Fasano and Martin at TE to contend with, and add in Patrick Turner and the shiftiness of Bess/Camarillo.

The halfback option pass always seemed under used to me, and now with this wildcat, single wing formation or whatever you want to call it, I can see why the Fins made their move with White- it has to be the right guy running the show- Ronnie Brown wasn't it. Any defensive weaknesses can be exploited now and how do you cover everyone if the right guy can make the right calls, run and throw deep? And, as per the Bill Walsh single wing post from a day or so ago, White probably won't be in enough plays to get the crap beaten out of him, and Pennington gets to stay a bit fresher as well. And when Pennington is gone, the it's Henne and White doing the same thing, the main difference being that Henne can throw deep along with White. Good luck to opposing defenses, this is going to be interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0YPDFmcp5Y

I don't think we are going to be seeing him throw many long balls, if at all. I expect him to be used mostly in the red zone, which would limit him to shorter passes only.

I think one of White's biggest impacts on the WC will be as a decoy. I follow USC fairly closely and grew up in San Diego, so I have a natural interest in R. Bush (one of my best friends got smoked by him in the 100 or 200 - forget which). Watching his first year, he struggled, but I was amazed at how much attention he garnered. He opened up the passing game and running lanes for Deuce (when they were both on the field). Just the threat of his explosiveness forced the hand of opposing defenses.

I think White may have a similar effect in the WC. R. Brown faking a sweep to Ricky wasn't that scary. Teams had to secure the corner, but didn't have to worry about their depth. A sweep to White is much scarier. They have to worry about the run and the pass.

Agree with j-off about the decoy role, but you've got to do it for real once or twice before teams get scared of you. That means we've got to see Pat White razzle-dazzle be effective before he's an effective decoy. I'm not sure a D-coordinator is going to be scared about *possibilities* given White's college highlight reel. Maybe Bush had an effect without actually accomplishing much (I don't remember his first games), but he was a much more hyped-up offensive weapon than White is.

That all being said, I do hope he does prove effective so he can also be a good decoy.

Agree with j-off about the decoy role, but you've got to do it for real once or twice before teams get scared of you. That means we've got to see Pat White razzle-dazzle be effective before he's an effective decoy. I'm not sure a D-coordinator is going to be scared about *possibilities* given White's college highlight reel. Maybe Bush had an effect without actually accomplishing much (I don't remember his first games), but he was a much more hyped-up offensive weapon than White is.

That all being said, I do hope he does prove effective so he can also be a good decoy.

You're absolutely right. I probably shouldn't assume that White will have at least some success in the Spread or WC, but I feel that he'll have at least two or three plays that work right in his comfort zone. But, he'll definitely have to show something before people worry too much about him.

I think one of White's biggest impacts on the WC will be as a decoy. I follow USC fairly closely and grew up in San Diego, so I have a natural interest in R. Bush (one of my best friends got smoked by him in the 100 or 200 - forget which). Watching his first year, he struggled, but I was amazed at how much attention he garnered. He opened up the passing game and running lanes for Deuce (when they were both on the field). Just the threat of his explosiveness forced the hand of opposing defenses.

I think White may have a similar effect in the WC. R. Brown faking a sweep to Ricky wasn't that scary. Teams had to secure the corner, but didn't have to worry about their depth. A sweep to White is much scarier. They have to worry about the run and the pass.

Bush is able to be used as a decoy because he is part of their normal offensive packages. When Bush then lines up as a receiver or goes in motion, it surprises the defense and they do not always have the necessary personnel to counter the formations. White will not have the same impact, since he will not normally be on the field. His presence in the huddle will be a key which will allow the defense to substitute to counter any packages we use him in.

The kid has talent but the only QB throwing long balls this year will be Chad...Chad Henne that is. I can see White on special teams returning punts and KO. He will be used in the offence but it will be situational this year. It is nice to know that we have a good third QB if needed.He is very talented and fast but the NFL is too.

Another thing I like about him is that he's a lefty. Defenses might not be used to playing too many lefties. I dont play football so I dont know, but does it make a difference? The QB's blindside is different, so passrushers have to change sides, etc.

Bush is able to be used as a decoy because he is part of their normal offensive packages. When Bush then lines up as a receiver or goes in motion, it surprises the defense and they do not always have the necessary personnel to counter the formations. White will not have the same impact, since he will not normally be on the field. His presence in the huddle will be a key which will allow the defense to substitute to counter any packages we use him in.

Substitutions in this case don't matter. Post-snap, a defense will have to account for White. White has the speed to take the corner on a sweep and the ability to throw the ball down the field. Those abilities have to be accounted for. If Brown takes a direct snap and fakes the ball to White, he should have some room.

The kid has talent but the only QB throwing long balls this year will be Chad...Chad Henne that is. I can see White on special teams returning punts and KO. He will be used in the offence but it will be situational this year. It is nice to know that we have a good third QB if needed.He is very talented and fast but the NFL is too.

I think that we'll see Pat White going deep more than once. That's part of the reason why we took him so high, to develop other weapons and opportunities within the wildcat scheme.

PW will go deep every now and then, even if he just throws the hell out it (kind of like a throw away). Just to keep the Defenses honest.

Also, if you really think about it with all the miss direction and options in the Wlidcat/Wildpat someone will eventually be open/make a play on a deep ball from PW. Remember the flea flicker out of the Wildcat from CP to Cobbs, that was a pretty easy throw for CP (cobbs had all day). I see more of that for '09.

Substitutions in this case don't matter. Post-snap, a defense will have to account for White. White has the speed to take the corner on a sweep and the ability to throw the ball down the field. Those abilities have to be accounted for. If Brown takes a direct snap and fakes the ball to White, he should have some room.

One of the most important aspects of the Wild Cat and Bush, is that the defense is not able to determine a personnel package based on the players in the huddle. With White, the defense will know to switch defenses as soon as they see him.

Another thing I like about him is that he's a lefty. Defenses might not be used to playing too many lefties. I dont play football so I dont know, but does it make a difference? The QB's blindside is different, so passrushers have to change sides, etc.

+Not only that receivers have to adjust for a left handed QB. And as it is I don't think Pat will be used to throw long balls. He might be used more in short yardage. And he will still have to get used to playbook. A first year Qb will be learning plays more than anything. So his time under center will be limited.

Back
Top Bottom