Pat White, the deep ball and other options | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat White, the deep ball and other options

Here's the Arizona drive. It was his only action in the NFL. He led Miami to their only touchdown of the game. There were one or two pretty good looking throws in there.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/xiidean/?action=view&current=ChadHenne-TheDrive2008.flv

I have been trying to find this clip for a while now. One thing it definately shows, especially the first completion that was thread between 2 defenders is the armstrength. The ability to thread those passes in is the one thing that kills me about Pennington.

My wife's whole family are USC fans, so I watch a lot of USC games. Sanchez has never shown the ability to overcome a tough circumstance. He has an NFL arm, and he may succeed if he does not collapse mentally. He is fine with big town expectations, so I expect the NY media will not bother him. That is a plus. I am just not convinced that his teammates will want to go to battle with him. He really needed another year of college. I wish him luck; even though, my beloved 'Phins may pay the price.

I completely agree!

Is that really fair to say he has never shown the ability to overcome tough circumstances? He played in two close games last year winning one nad losing one and in the OSU game he led them back from a 21-0 halftime deficit and nearly pulled off the comeback. In '07 he led them back from a 4the qtr deficit against Arizona to win the game.

I don't think it's really being fair to say that about a player when he's failed once in a tight spot late. This isn't like Jason Taylor w/ zero career sacks in 6 playoff games.

Here's the Arizona drive. It was his only action in the NFL. He led Miami to their only touchdown of the game. There were one or two pretty good looking throws in there.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/xiidean/?action=view&current=ChadHenne-TheDrive2008.flv

They are doing maintenace on photobucket so I'll check the clip later but let's remember that happened in garbage time against Arizona.

Here's the Senior Bowl 2008 highlights. Henne had two TDs during the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2laN7_enwQQ&feature=related

Has a big long TD to Lavelle Hawkins at 0:36, and a shorter progression TD to a pretty open Martin Rucker at 2:50.

Chad Henne would have gotten MVP in that game if not for the South's final drive and some heroics by Harry Douglas and Matt Forte. He did win North Offensive MVP. Was 5 of 9 for 64 yards and 2 TDs, 0 INTs.

Two years in a row Miami drafted a Senior Bowl MVP QB.

Again he was just throwing it up there hoping his WR would make a play. he was well covered and he just lofted it to the EZ.

Good article about PW and the wildcat:

"Pat White is the next level of the Wildcat," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says. "The defensive answer to the Wildcat last year was to take the safety out of the hole.

"Now you take a guy who can also throw the football like an NFL quarterback and who can also run the option. That means the safety is in the box and your cornerbacks are one-on-one with no deep help.

"Anytime there's a play-action fake, Pat White will have the ability to throw the ball and beat one-on-one coverage on the outside."

But Mayock says it would be wrong to pigeonhole White as a Wildcat wild card.
Despite lacking prototypical quarterback size at 6-0, 206 pounds, White creates passing lanes with his quick feet and is accurate on the move.

"I believe this kid can be an NFL quarterback full time down the road, and he's going to compete with (current Dolphins backup quarterback) Chad Henne in the future and might even beat him out," Mayock says.

White adds multiple options as a quarterback-tailback or slot receiver compared to running back Ronnie Brown, who ignited last year's trend by taking direct snaps with Pennington spread out wide in a season-turning, Week 3 win at the New England Patriots.

Quarterbacks coach David Lee met with White at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., where White emerged as the game's MVP. Ireland was at White's scouting combine throwing showcase, where some considered him more impressive than former Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez, who was the fifth overall pick by the New York Jets.

"Now you have a guy that is a legitimate quarterback in the Wildcat, and that stresses a defense out," said Miller, now a Sirius Radio analyst. "In one week's time, it's tough as a defender to get ready for a guy as dynamic as Pat White."
White was 34-8 at West Virginia, where the two-time Heisman Trophy finalist won four bowl games.

"Pat White is a winner," said West Virginia coach Bill Stewart, who added White is faster than former Mountaineers running back Steve Slaton, who had 1,282 rushing yards as a rookie for the Houston Texans in 2008.

"When I talked to Mike Tomlin at Patrick's pro day, I said, 'Michael, he's not going to come in and beat Ben Roethlisberger out. But put him in a game and tell me he won't drive a defensive coordinator crazy.'

"This kid in a Wildcat? This kid is a good quarterback."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/dolphins/2009-04-29-pat-white_N.htm

I don't know how anyone can look at Sanchez throwing a football and look at White and come away more impressed w/ White.

I don't know how anyone can look at Sanchez throwing a football and look at White and come away more impressed w/ White.

Look, I'm impressed with Sanchez. If you can pick either Sanchez or White, who do you take? Sanchez. But it's not just the arm- it's the speed, quickness, productivity, intangibles, track record. And the potential to light up the wildcat. Sanchez has a great arm, but I like what I've seen of White's as well- pretty crisp ball, I don't have a problem with his delivery, he's accurate, and he goes deep well. I think that both QB's will work out nicely. Nonetheless, if some scouts liked PW better than Sanchez, that is kind of nice from our side of the fence.

Look, I'm impressed with Sanchez. I you can pick either Sanchez or White who do you take? Sanchez. But it's not just the arm- it's the speed, quickness, productivity, intangibles, track record. And the potential to light up the wildcat. Sanchez has a great arm, but I like what I've seen of White's as well- pretty crisp ball, I don't have a problem with his delivery, he's accurate, and he goes deep well. I think that both QB's will work out nicely. Nonetheless, if some scouts liked PW better than Sanchez, that is kind of nice from our side of the fence.

I understand all that and I'm nto saying White cannot be impressive throwing the football but put them next to each other and it's no contest simply throwing the football. I can stand next to each and look impressive too but there's alot more to it than throwing the ball and I understand that. i think White can be good in the role he was drafted for but there's just no way a scout can watch the 2 throw and come away more impressed w/ White.

I understand all that and I'm nto saying White cannot be impressive throwing the football but put them next to each other and it's no contest simply throwing the football. I can stand next to each and look impressive too but there's alot more to it than throwing the ball and I understand that. i think White can be good in the role he was drafted for but there's just no way a scout can watch the 2 throw and come away more impressed w/ White.

Not to be argumentative, but that is what happened, some scouts preferred White's arm. So if nothing else that tells me that PW has some pretty solid tools to work with. That being said, I'm a big fan of Sanchez's arm.

Take the blinders off, pretend Miami didn't draft him, pretend he isn't attached to any team and tell what you see.

I'm not as callous as some people Junc. If a guy throws a 45 yd pass, I consider that deep. I don't give a **** who it is. Homerism may be alive and good when it comes to chatting about who will win the division or which team has the best LB core but when it comes down to watching a 4 minute video of a couple of passes, there's nothing but honest truth in what I said.

It has nothing to do with the Dolphins or blinders.

Not to be argumentative, but that is what happened, some scouts preferred White's arm. So if nothing else that tells me that PW has some pretty solid tools to work with. That being said, I'm a big fan of Sanchez's arm.

I think that scout is nuts, I'm guessing he works for the Lions.

See if you can tell a difference btw the passing of White and what you see at the link below. Again, pretend there isn't a team associated w/ the player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_rib5nD5P0

Sanchez made a lot of money throws in that video, how can anyone deny that? It's also easy to make those throws when your WRs are 5-10 yds past everyone else.

But they were still good throws.

Sanchez made a lot of money throws in that video, how can anyone deny that? It's also easy to make those throws when your WRs are 5-10 yds past everyone else.

But they were still good throws.

The first couple his WRs were wide open but keep watching. Just perfect placement of his throws downfield. It's exciting to see. I don't know if it will translate to the NFL, the NFL is more than just physical tools but I'm really excited we got this guy.

I think that scout is nuts, I'm guessing he works for the Lions.

Well, the Lions drafted Matt Stafford and he has one of the best arms that I've seen in recent memory, so it wouldn't bother me at all if they were the ones making the call on PW.

The first couple his WRs were wide open but keep watching. Just perfect placement of his throws downfield. It's exciting to see. I don't know if it will translate to the NFL, the NFL is more than just physical tools but I'm really excited we got this guy.

The problem with this site is that you have a bunch of guys who just naturally dislike the Jets so they'll trash Sanchez and whoever else just b/c they are Jets players. Then you deal with a fella like CK and you can have a civil chat that expresses each of your opinions.

Sanchez looked good in the videos as did White. Will either translate into the NFL? Will Henne? No way to know until we see them play. All the talk from now until then is purely us/you hoping it works out the best.

So, at this point in time, Junc is better at scouting players than people who actually get payed to do it. After the combine it wasn't just 1 scout, it was damn near unanimous that PW had the best day throwing the ball. I've got nothing against Sanchez, other than the fact that he is a Jet and played for USC, who I also cannot stand. The thing that drives me nuts it the lack of QBing coming out of college and in the NFL. Guys with a lot more experience and a lot more impressive #'s have come into this league and flopped. I just can't but into the Sanchez hype. IMO if Bradford and McCoy had been in the draft, Sanchez doesn't even go in rd. 1. Unless GMs and Coaches were really that impressed with his personality over a steak dinner.

The problem with this site is that you have a bunch of guys who just naturally dislike the Jets so they'll trash Sanchez and whoever else just b/c they are Jets players. Then you deal with a fella like CK and you can have a civil chat that expresses each of your opinions.

Sanchez looked good in the videos as did White. Will either translate into the NFL? Will Henne? No way to know until we see them play. All the talk from now until then is purely us/you hoping it works out the best.

That's true, but I don't see how anyone can deny Sanchez's talent and arm. Dude has skills.

Back
Top Bottom