Pather Fans hated losing Joe Berger

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CpuFan, Sep 8, 2005.

1. CpuFan

CpuFan A True Fan

Here are some clippings from a Panthers forum...

Berger signed by Dolphins
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I hate we let this guy get away. We should have cut Kadela and kept Berger, but... whatever.

Re: Berger signed by Dolphins
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just so happen to be on the Dolphins site and was looking through thier roster and see Joe Berger on there. I thought it was a mistake until I read they brought in him and a CB from Jacksonville. They should of cut Kadela and kept Berger, he was better than Kadela during the preseason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is indeed sad news. I don't think anyone expected him to be signed away, as few teams or scouts knew about him going into draft. However, most teams have a scout watching other teams during preseason, and I'm sure this is where they decided to get him from. He has awesome potential, hate to lose him.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Darn...Saban knows what he is doing. He got Gibson too from the Steelers. Berger could have been on the roster EASILY next season.

2. njfinfan

njfinfan Finheaven's "First Lady"

Good stuff. Let's hope he pans out.

3. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Banned Hammered

Whats a Pather? Is it a cousin of a Liger? :tongue:

4. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

the Berger signing sounds good to me. Now between him and Ephraim we will have 2 guys who can compete for starting next year at center.

5. Den54

Den54 Punk Exterminator

Where does it say Berger plays Center?

6. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

I dont have a link but i've read somewhere were even though he played RT in college they were going to bring him inside. He's 6'5 305lbs, not as heavy as coach H likes his OG. But although a little tall for center, he does have the weight for an NFL center.

7. dolphan98

dolphan98 Seasoned Veteran

Sounds like a heads up move by Saban. Hopefully he pans out.

8. Al13

Al13 Don´t mess with Clint

someone posted yesterday that he is the backup at C , i search for the link

9. MrClean

MrClean The one and only

This quote is the best of all. Is there really a fan naive enough to believe that few teams knew about Berger going into the draft? You can darned sure bet that every team knew all about him way before the draft. The main reason he lasted to the 6th round was that he didn't play at a Div I school, but at a small college not known for producing NFL players. Berger was even at the combine, and did very well, but few teams knew about him??? LOL :lol:

10. ottie35

ottie35 Straight Outta Delaware

We definentely need another CB, never to deep in that position.

11. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

The ongoing Saban movement continues.........Better get the picture or you will be gone soon........Joe Berger meister meister Berger. Sounds like a football player doesnt he?

12. ch19079

ch19079 Dolphin, its whats for dinner

i was thinking the same thing. :lol:

13. FinSolari

FinSolari Scout Team

Here's joe berger

14. eger

eger Starter

If he was so great why did they let him get away?

15. Motion

Motion Banned Hammered

Well for starters, he's a rookie on a team with one of the best Olines in the league, its gonna take him at least a year to contribute.

16. Unscarred

Unscarred Alright Miami!!!

It's pretty much his favorite animal.

17. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Banned Hammered

Ahhh the mind of a finfan. So limited. No creativity. At least change the guys shorts or something.

18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Bred for its skills in magic.

19. Dolfndude

Dolfndude Well-Known Member

It's pretty much my favorite animal

20. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Finheaven VIP

2 hours of my life I will never get back.:(

21. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

No it's a Chaguar! :chuckle:

22. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I checked the Panthers forum after we signed Berger. On the roster predictions prior to the final cut, it was basically 50/50 whether he should make the team. Nobody really had much to say immediately after he was cut. They focused on many other surprises instead.

Every report indicates Berger has good feet and athletic ability. Bravo. About damn time we prioritized those traits. I've watched line play for 30 years and the old mauler tough guys with subpar athletic ability just don't cut it anymore, no matter how strong they are. Not against the current caliber of athlete you have on NFL defensive lines.

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Good feet and athletic ability were top priorities in the WannSpiel regime among offensive linemen. And, as a result, we sacrificed a lot of strength. Just look at Wade Smith.

Hudson Houck does not stress athletic ability as much in his linemen...or, at least, he stresses it in a way that is different from normal measurements (40 time, etc.). He'll take a guy that doesn't run the 40 well at all but does have a good long jump. Reach and hand size are big issues for Houck.

24. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

You've got to be kidding. We drafted Taylor Whitley. As I've posted many times he was the most unathletic player I've ever seen us take in the top three rounds. I watched him at A&M and he was exactly the type of barrel chested slow footed mauler who I described as not cutting it any more in the NFL. A hopeless pick and I said so immediately on another Dolphin forum. Admittedly, I had hopes for Wade Smith even though the price we paid was masochistic. That type of projection used to work great in the NFL, a big TE with good feet moved inside to tackle after bulking up. The '70s Steelers transfromed a mediocre TE named Larry Brown into a top notch tackle. But you can't do that anymore in the NFL, sacrificing too much strength and frame, as you implied.

McKinney is hardly an athletic specimen. He doesn't threaten to have explosive speed or leverage yet we took him in the 2nd round. Todd Wade is a blue collar RT with just enough athletic ability for the position. Linemen we brought in like Todd Perry were journeyman athletes at best.

In contrast, when that regime took a chance on gifted athletes who had fallen out of favor, or yet to be discovered, the results were positive until injuries ended the careers. I'm talking about Mark Dixon and Jamie Nails. Those guys were a joy to watch when healthy, feet and manueverability and in Nails' case great strength as well.

Hudson Houck's reputation is based largely on the caliber of athlete he enjoyed in nine seasons at Dallas. Come on; Allen, Williams, Stepnoski, Tuinei, Newton. If he had coached the likes of Ruddy and Co., no chance he would be on the same pedestal today. Sorry, but I'm not buying the Hudson Houck baloney, nor anything he did short term in San Diego where you had a freak back like Tomlinson. Houck will improve our pass protection but only superior athletes will turn this line into an adequate to superior run blocking unit.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

Allen is one of the best of all time, Williams was a good physical speciman. Tuinei was a "journyman" until he became a part of that line. Stepnoski was also nothing special till he became a part of that line. Newton was a big butterball tub of goo. Yet Houch gave these people good technique and coached them to their strengths and taught them how to cover their weaknesses.

Also Mark Dixon was anything but a physical speciman. He was an above average talent with AMAZING work ethic and beautiful technique in both the passing and running game. His leverage in run blocking was almost always near perfect and he FINISHED his blocks. Something for some reason the Dolphins didn't do the year before as well. One thing you are seeing less is lineman standing around