"Patriots run at perfection two years ago renders the '72 Dolphins less relevant"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by beck2ginn4TD, Dec 11, 2009.

1. beck2ginn4TD

beck2ginn4TD Scout Team

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...slug=ms-thegameface121109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"Yet a part of me will always adore the ’07 Patriots, because Tom Brady(notes) and the boys did us a great service for which we should all be grateful: By obliterating the mystique of the perfect season, the Pats rendered the 1972 Miami Dolphins far less relevant. And that, football fans, is a beautiful thing."

"And still, for all of the improbability of the situation, there’s a decided lack of noise coming from South Florida: No Mercury Morris rapping. No Bob Kuechenberg yapping. No Don Shula spewing out sour grapes or talk of Bob Griese, **** Anderson, Nick Buoniconti and company getting ready to pop champagne."

Michael Silver=*******

2. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

What the hell is he crying about? Sounds like a pissed off girl

3. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time and we really find some dumb stuff sometimes:rolleyes2:

There were perfect regular seasons before the Dolphins too in the 30s and 40s, Bears and Giants I believe. The Patriots fail made it that much more relevant. If the Saints and/or Colts go the regular season unbeaten get ready for tons of Mercury and the Gang, the Greatest team in NFL history:)

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

I don't understand this guy. Teams have come undefeated before the 1972 Dolphins but they didn't win the Super Bowl or a Championship. Not sure if I have the years correct but I think 1948 or 1949 the Browns went undefeated, they were not part of the NFL at that time though. And I believe the 1942 Bears were undefeated but lost to the Redskins in the Championship game. So if anything, the Patriots' 2007 season resembles more like the 1942 Bears than the 1972 Dolphins.

That's the significant difference about the 1972 Dolphins compared to the Patriots, the Bears, and the Browns. The Dolphins' actually won the Championship.

/edit
    Just checked to see how accurate my post was. It was the 1948 Browns. And I completely forgot about the 1930 Bears, they were 13-0 and lost to the New York Giants in the championship game.

5. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

imo, as good as the '07 patises were, the fact that even they couldn't seal the deal makes what the Dolphins did even larger.
    these patsy fans can rationalize and revise history in their own minds all they want, but that season will remain as one of the biggest choke-jobs in history
    before that game, I accepted the possibilty of someone joining the '72 Dolphins in perfectville. I felt if they could do it, they deserved it. but with all the whining and disrespect since then, I'm happy to rub it in their faces even more.

6. Kadiddlehopper

Kadiddlehopper Charter Member of the Dolphin's Fan Club

85 Bears went 18-1, Pats are irrelevant.

7. JT-forpresident

JT-forpresident Believe In Miami

wow, the 72 dolphins team less relevant ?

is it really hard to see the difference between 17 - 0 superbowl champ and 18 - 1 superbowl losers ? ???

**** him

8. 72TributeBike

72TributeBike A True Fan

During the NE v Miami game this past weekend, this radio show host from NE sitting in the 409 section just behind me was trash talking the Dolphins. I was trashing back at him.

"You should be kissing our rings," he said as NE went up 14-0 at the beginning of the 2nd quarter.

"I'll tell ya what," I responded. "I'll kiss that really awesome undefeated season ring. Who's got that ring?"

The fin fans laughed and applauded.

Then I added..."That logo on your hat of the Patriot bending over...nice timing on wearing that, by the way...."

9. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

It makes it more relevant!!! It showed just how difficult it is too achieve the entire goal...which includes the SB...not just the regular season!!! If a team like the ones the Pats had could do it...then it shows just how difficult it really is.

The writer is a moron...have him call Mercury and he can explain it to him...

10. NYCphan

NYCphan Stuck in Jetsville

I almost always find whining about what sports columnists write to be childish and silly, but in this case... wow. What a petulant, inane bit of Pats-licking drivel that is.

His point seems to be that the Pats' SB failure has shown that an undefeated season COULD be done, therefore the 72 Fins' achievement isn't such a big deal. The truth, of course, is that the Pats glorious failure just underscores how tough it is go close the deal.

And I say this as someone who enjoys our team's 17-0 distinction, but think many Fin fans make far too much out of it.

Note to Michael Silver: 18-1 is just another Super Bowl loser, nothing less and nothing more. Get over it.

11. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Michael Silver = Dildoe

12. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Hmmmm, ask yourself if those 2007 Pats will be remembered for all of those games they won, or the one they lossed. End of F-ing story. Why hate, you just end up looking, well....., like this guy.

13. NYCphan

NYCphan Stuck in Jetsville

I suspect his real problem is that the 72 vets get on his nerves with the champagne toasts and all that. I guess I can understand that, but he's made himself look like an *** by claiming the SB-choking loser Pats have anything to do with it.

And the thought of another SB with an undefeated team, putting the Fins old-timers on TV all over again for two weeks, must be driving him nuts.

14. DolphinGlory1

DolphinGlory1 Rookie

Whoever wrote this is a complete *******! You know nothing about football if you make statements like this! Do some research and learn about the history of the teams before you make idiotic comments about past events.

15. Lorenzo Rules

Lorenzo Rules A True Fan

wait a minute now 7 years ago the media was making a big deal about the 72 season and now they want it the other way. I want to say this anti dolphins proaganda was started by some ******* patriots media people not by Mercury or Shula.

ALL THE DOLPHINS WANTED WAS REPSECT AND THEY GOT SNUBBED CONITUOUSLY.

THE MEDIA created this frenzy but some pats fans have gotten jobs in high places so now they want to demonize the dolphins because of their jobs allow it.

the dolphins seriously need to get some former fins into the media so we can defend our team or this will get worse.

16. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

17. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

This is why I wouldnt mind the Colts and Saints to finish the regular season undefeated.

To lessen the imperfect "accomplishment" the patriots are so proud of.

To go a step further, I'd love to see the Fins take down the Colts in the playoffs and beat the Saints in the SB :)

Now THAT would be perfect:)

18. ry-dbar

ry-dbar Well-Known Member Donator

So according to this d1ckweed going undefeated in the regular season holds more weight than a championship. I'd be very happy with 10 and 6 with a ring than 16 and 0 without one.

19. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

I'm sick of this bull**** like our name will be erased from the record books if another team finishes undefeated. We're still going to be there. We were still the first to do it. It doesn't make our undefeated season any less relevant. It just makes the opponents season that much more relevant

20. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

i agree that the '72 fins are the greatest team in history, however i believe the decided lack of commentary by the mouths of '72 is due to the fact that the saints look so dominant... who can stop them in this league now? there is a lack of greatness in the league these days, so when a team is as impressive as the saints are, you have to take notice... there isn't another team in the NFC that is remotely close to their level

21. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

i can't believe that someone actually could be that deluded... the '85 bears and the '07 patsies had the same record 18-1... the difference is that the bears have a championship to show for it... and the difference between those two teams and the '72 fins is the 1 in their record... on a personal note, i just found out that one of the trainers at work is a fin fan... he saw my dolphins jersey and walked up just to say "the pats should all die"... that made my day

22. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Less Relevant????? Sorry, there is still only one team in Perfectville:

The 1972 Dolphins.

I got a nice e-mail from Mercury Morris a couple years back after I congratulated him for his charity work and still being part of the only undefeated team.

23. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

the patsies made excuses for their super bowl loss... the '72 fins didn't need to... by the way has anyone noticed the preemptive excuse the patsies have come up with for the inevitable loss of the division crown (after espn and nfln gave it to them before the season began)... brady is hurt boo hoo hahahaha!!!

24. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

is that the patsies backup qb?

25. electrolyte

electrolyte Banned Hammered

85 Bears > 07 Patriots

both have 1 loss, but the Bears ended as Champions, with only loss is in the regular season.

26. gofins

gofins another MD finfan

I love it! 35 seconds away from perfection! What an ***!! THEY COULDN'T SEAL THE DEAL!!!! OUR DOLPHINS DID................ WITH A BACKUP QB!!! Look what happened the next year when the mighty (almost perfect) Patriots lost their starting QB. Dolphins just kept on rolling. The Pats didn't even make the playoffs!

27. gofins

gofins another MD finfan

WOW! That's awesome!!!:thumbup:

28. miamifire

miamifire Scout Team

You know, its funny. The 1972 Fins went Undefeated and WON the Championship with the backup QB playing much of the season. If going undefeated is so easy and trivial, why has only 1 team accomplished it?
    This is a record up there with Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak, or Wilt Chamberlain's 100 pt game. It should not be trivialized.
    It saddens me the pure lack of respect the 72 team gets and the ridiculous nonsense that gets written about them. Long live the Undefeated Season and the 1972 Dolphins!

29. joenhre

joenhre Starter Donator

Some clown who writes for "Yahoo" sports?Who cares what anyone who writes for "Yahoo" has to say. I hope those Yahoos aren't actually paying that d-bag to write such garbage.

30. CashInFist

CashInFist Banned Hammered

"Google" FTW...:lol:

31. finfanatic13

finfanatic13 Scout Team

Who the f*ck is Michael Silver?

32. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

The media over-saturating everyone's sensibilities about it during the Pats run is what makes it less relevant to people, not the run itself. The 'undefeated season' remains an unmatched feat and their dominance the season after reasserted it's validity. '72 cannot be tarnished or diminished by anyone, much less a second-rate hack or choking crab cakes.

33. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

And that was MUCH more relevant than what the pats did.

34. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton A True Fan

I don't know why everyone is getting so pissy with the writer. We haven't heard the clamoring from old Dolphins because there has been a 16-0 team in the last two years. If they make it to the playoffs undefeated, there will certainly be that same whining they did in 2007.

35. RealityBites

RealityBites Realistic Fan

Silver is a moron, who really cares what that snapperhead thinks.

36. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

Does this writer have an issue with Miami or something? Anyone have his email? All you need to write is "18-1" and you can't really argue past that. How did it do "us" a great service as he seems to be speaking for the majority...? I sort of stopped reading after he mentioned how he "adored" Tom Brady. I believe he and Mr. Trey Wingo should find a train to run. I'm wondering if by finding the Patriots cheating if that makes their wins any less relevant? I believe it does.