Pennington the starting QB we've been ignoring

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BAMAPHIN 22, May 6, 2009.

1. BAMAPHIN 22

BAMAPHIN 22 FinHeaven Elite

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...gton-we-talk-about-the-drafting-of-pat-w.html

2. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

ok so they want to talk about Pennington....

what's there to talk about? has his situation changed? did the recent draft potentially change his role on this team? is there ANY new news regarding Chad Pennington?

what exactly do they expect us to discuss regarding Penny?

3. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

I personally think it is refreshing to have a QB who we are confident enough that he does not even need to be discussed.

The others have question marks, Penny is the answer. (at least for now)

4. SA_BUTTA

SA_BUTTA Seasoned Veteran

Here is something to talk...
    Pennington is the starter until someone beats him out of the job or he gets hurt.

Anyone here think Henne or White will beat him out??
    End of discussion.

5. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan FinHeaven VIP

Pennington's just plays well game in and game out. That's boring. We want excitement.

6. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton A True Fan

I don't see how the trifecta can let Pennington walk if he has another season like the last one.

7. SpaceMountain16

SpaceMountain16 Disgruntled Donator

We're not ignoring Pennington, just looking down the line when it's likely he'll be gone. Next season.

8. I am Bane

I am Bane BAKLAVA

i like Pennington :)

9. mikethewreck

mikethewreck Just a fan...

I LOVE Pennington (in a non-creepy way). He doesn't make as many mistakes as most QBs. Will probably go down in history as the most. Accurate. QB. Ever. Never gets into trouble. Leads by example. Is a coach and mentor to the younger QBs. Has more arm strength than you think. I keep going back to last season, and the CHANGE in our offense from pre-Pennington to post-Pennington. It was night and day. And now he has had an offseason to study with Henning and will be in charge from day 1? I would be not be surprised if, except for mop up duty, Henne NEVER sees the field this year. And I think lining White up a few plays a game as QB will help keep Penny fresh all season long (just like Tupperware).

10. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

hey, that's a good nick for White, 'Tupperware'. he keeps the starters fresh.

FansinceJan'72 likes this.
  11. DFJR88

DFJR88 Well-Known Member

where's that picture someone made of penny's head photoshopped on the 300 movie poster?

12. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Too many people have been blinded on dreams of some heavenly new offense that apparently has stiffled the great defensive minds in the NFL. Say good-bye to the pocket passer, no more Pennington, no more Brady, Manning's, Brees, Romo, Hasselbeck Palmer etc... hello 6'0 spread offense QB's running around like mad.

The NFL has been changed forever the god like BP has brought upon us a new generation of Football and the teams that do not get on board will be left behind. Lucky us that BP reads these boards intently and now knows that the Wildcat is unstoppable, to think he may have only used this a package here and there, praise the lord.

P.S. no bashing of BP was intended by this post, I really like the guy, it's the genius's that can read his mind and tell the rest of us what he's thinking and how he's going to use newly drafted players and base that dominance on how stupid other teams are in how to defend this almighty offense.

13. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Pennington might make Turner a better receiver in the end zone. He has a nice corner throw. I see more TD's for our WR's.

14. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Penny needs to win a big playoff game to get rid of his stigma.

15. Dfootball11

Dfootball11 Starter

This answers the OP's question perfectly. We have been talkin about the qb position for years now, and that has only been because of the uncertainty invloving the position. We should consider it a blessing that we do not have to talk about who the starter is this year.

16. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

I think that Henne and White will unleash their arms in pre-season leaving all of those who visit finheaven drooling about the future and when the noodle can't hit a deep out in the season finheaven will erupt in a full out 3 way QB controversy of epic proportion.

17. PB Fin Fan

PB Fin Fan Scout Team

I agree. Penny, the premier progress impediment

18. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 Perennial All-Pro

Pennington just wins and that is something i want to get use to again

19. Ricky4Life

Ricky4Life Repin the MIA in AZ!!

I thought it was funny that during the draft they kept comparing Mark Sanchez's arm to Penningtion's. If I was a Jets fan I would have been pissed with that pick because Sanchez is no were near as smart as Penningtion.

20. mikethewreck

I'm still thinking that the pups are still the pups and that Penny comes out of TC and preseason as the unquestioned (other than on this board) #1 QB. Henne was in the mix last year (as a rook, I know) but it was Chad that calmed the waters. Do not underestimate his accuracy and in a Parcells-Sparano-Henning offense that means a lot.

21. MadDog 88

At some point his inability to throw deep outs has to outweigh the intangibles and Henne or White needs to take over. Baltimore showed exactly how to defend Pennington and this is a copy cat league.

22. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Ted, you hit the nail on the head! Penny's been terrific, the driving-force behind our record-breaking turnaround from awful to more than respectable. We should be forever grateful for his leadership and commitment. But since the deeper a team drives into the playoffs, the more likely they will be facing a Top 10 scoring defense, and assuming that's our goal at this point, the team's interests are probably not best served by having Pennington as our starting QB.

From a jets wiki here's his record through 07 vs top 10 scoring defenses. Of course losing to the Pats and Ravens 3 out of 4 times last season, only compounds how depressing these stats are:

Regular Season: 6-16 W/L record vs. Top 10 scoring defenses
    Playoffs: 1-3 W/L record vs. Top 10 scoring defenses
    7-19 All-Time record vs Top 10 Scoring Defenses
    http://www.jetnation.com/JetsWiki/index.php/Pennington,_Chad

While I've little doubt that Chad will keep us respectable, if our goal is to go deep into the playoffs and if we choose to ignore his substandard record of success when facing formidible defenses, we essentially do so at our own peril.

23. mikethewreck

Very interesting statistics. Hard to argue...

24. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Yeah, that's what I'd say.

25. shula_guy

shula_guy FinHeaven VIP

Chad Pennington has my respect and appreciation for all he contributes as a member of the Dolphins. I don't know any other way to say it.
    :thanks:

26. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

shhh, Pennington is like a god to most around here.

FansinceJan'72 likes this.
  27. Dtronic

Dtronic Season ticket Holder Sec 150

I disagree. Our injuries and lack of O line depth let Baltimore beat us. Throwing 4 interceptions didn't help.

28. Dtronic

Dtronic Season ticket Holder Sec 150

Not a God, but qb that won us the AFC East. :rolleyes2:

29. TRUDOLFAN54

TRUDOLFAN54 PHINZ4LIFE!!!!

im just wondering what do we do if pennington has another pro bowl year takes us deep in the playsoffs or even the superbowl what do we do i mean he is only 32 that is the question we must ask ourselevs......

30. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

what do we do if Pennington throw 4 INTs in week 1? does Henne take over? I personally am under the impression Henne is ready to win his job outright THIS season, I think we should just make it a fair competition and not anoint Pennington the starter just yet

31. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

Winning is boring?

32. Fins NY 72

Fins NY 72 Sidd Finch

IMO - The number one attribute of a Parcell's / Sparano QB is (mistake free - no turnovers). Can we say that about PW or CH. I don't think so. We know nothning about them yet.

Before anyone's ticket is punched to be our next QB they will need to demonstrate the above mentioned quality.

Until then Pennington is QB, this year and maybe more.

33. KISSjunky

KISSjunky MIAMI NATIVE

I'm still a Chad P. fan. I'm looking forward to watching him lead his offense back to the playoffs, and beyond.

34. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

He does talk a good game though, which if your a Jets fan might be another bad thing as they get thier hopes up again.

35. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

I love Pennington, but we won't win a Super Bowl with him. He is prefect for where we are right now as a team. He can teach the young guys and show some leadership, but as our team comes together in this rebuilding process, we will need the deep passing game to make a real push at dominating the AFC.

36. Dolphination73

Dolphination73 Starter

Couldn't agree MORE with your assessment of Pennington!! I feel the exact same way!

37. Storm54

Storm54 Rookie

Exactly why can't we win a Super Bowl with Penny at qb? The Ravens won with Trent Dilfer. Is Dilfer > Pennington? We have upgraded our offensive line, and as far as I've seen Parcells/Sparano type football is tough, smashmouth football on offense and great defense. Nobody knows whats going to happen this upcoming season. We have just as good a chance as anyone else at this point to go to and or win a super bowl. Chad P is a winner at the NFL level, and while i have nothing against Henne or White neither one of them can make that claim.

38. H4wt Pocket

H4wt Pocket Well-Known Member

Uh...what? I'm all for watching an exciting game, but winning is my top priority. I'd rather watch us play boring football and win over playing exciting football, but lose.

39. Rio

Rio Competition-The Elixir Of Success!

Parcells wrote his 11Commandments with Pennington in mindPennington's words: I am a servant to my team. these words aren't bogus humility but frame his belief system.
    Penny has had an excellent year. He returns with his shoulder in tact & well healed, with the Orca-5 protecting him, w/ a running game in place, w/ improved WR's, w/WildCatPat possibly sharing the field on a more regular basis.I believe he will have the deep pass when he needs it & returns the same Franchise, ProBowler, hand-picked by Parcells QB that will take his shot at the Big Enchilada in 2010.
    Pennington will not go quietly into the night.
    He may be on the verge of a NFL rebirth, a virtual Renaissance & Miami's immediate future. If he can get us through the 2009 season as well as he did the 2008, he will lead us to a SuperBowl in 2010
    Henne can either win the position or have an extended understudy. Things change: Out w/ Beck & in w/ WildCataPat.

Everything is in Chad Pennington's hands. This season holds the answers. It will be resolved on the playing field.

40. MadDog 88

The Ravens shut down the middle of the field. Chad can't get the ball out and deep. From there it wasn't hard to overpower theO line.

I love Chad and am forever grateful for his role last year but he was not the best player on the team. He was needed to provide leadership and stability to a young team and was solid in doing that. His role has to be expanded this year and I don't think he has the physical tools to handle it.

41. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

not to mention continuously calling plays that baltimore consistently shut down like wildcat plays and runs up the middle.

42. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

come on, wouldnt you rather be like denver, with a fun and exciting offense but missing the playoffs... come on, who needs the playoffs when you can pass for 3500 yards and look good doing it. :crazy:

43. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

We don't have anything close to the defense that Balt had the year they won. That might have been one of the best D's of all time. If we had that, then I might give Pennington the nod.