Per Roto Source: Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Heinegrabber, May 15, 2013.

1. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

Brent Grimes - DB - Dolphins
    New Dolphins CB Brent Grimes (Achilles) remains on pace to be ready for training camp.

Grimes isn't putting a percentage on his recovery, but says he's "feeling good" and "being smart" in his rehab. Grimes will be 364 days removed from his injury when the Dolphins take on the Browns in Week 1

Charles Clay - TE - Dolphins
    Dolphins TE/FB Charles Clay (meniscus surgery) is 100 percent.

"I’m good and ready to go," Clay said Tuesday. Clay should enter the season as the Dolphins' No. 2 pass-catching tight end behind Dustin Keller. Fourth-round pick Dion Sims is primarily a blocker

Lamar Miller- RB - Dolphins

Lamar Miller is aiming for 1,500 rushing yards and five yards per carry this season.

"I’m trying to get bigger and faster, improve my explosiveness so I can break more tackles, make guys miss," Miller said Tuesday. "Trying to become a great back in this league." They're lofty goals, but everyone besides Daniel Thomas believes Miller will get a chance to meet them as the Dolphins' starting back. Miller has exciting talent, but the Dolphins are taking a bit of a risk by putting so many eggs in the basket of a back with just 51 career carries. Miller should be treated as an RB2 in fantasy drafts

Daniel Thomas - RB - Dolphins
    Daniel Thomas believes he's a legitimate contender for the Dolphins' starting running back job.

Thomas must not be watching much of his own film. "I don’t know why (Lamar Miller) would have the inside track," Thomas said incredulously Tuesday. "It’s an open competition. Everybody has a fair shot. The best player is going to get the job. Nobody has a leg up." Thomas does admit he's been "inconsistent" since being the No. 62 overall pick of the 2011 draft. All signs suggest the Dolphins want and expect Miller to be their No. 1 back

Jonathan Martin - T - Dolphins
    The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins are "privately very optimistic" about Jonathan Martin's chances of becoming a solid left tackle.

That must be the case, as despite an abundance of sound and fury, the Dolphins never seriously pursued an alternative after Jake Long bolted for the Rams. Martin, for his part, is relieved to finally know his position. "It’s exciting to play left tackle in the NFL — that has been a dream my whole life." Martin is "devouring four meals a day" in an effort to get up to 318 pounds after playing near 305 last season. The Dolphins' bevy of moves could be all for naught if Martin isn't up to the challenge of protecting Ryan Tannehill's blindside

2. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

didnt see the 1500 yards mentioned but you might want to crack 500 yards in a season first lol. if he said that I think this is among the most asinine things to say. This would be the second best rushing season in dolphin history. Im not even sure where people get these numbers from.

3. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

yeah, maybe he meant all purpose yards. lol although 1500 rushing yards would be pretty sweet. :D

4. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

From past leaders who said they wanted to lead the league in rushing, I guess! Lol

5. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Absolutely. Set your goals low so you exceed expectations instead of disappointing yourself.:rolleyes2:

6. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

the one angle never spoken about is how Martin was Luck's LT. That had to have some contribution to Luck's college career right?
    Hats off to Ireland a year ago, for having the foresight of knowing that Long was probably not going to be retained and drafting his replacement. Good GM's draft also for the next season with the current year's draft

7. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

or set your goals to beyond stupid levels. Why not set realistic goals.

8. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

What you perceive as realistic defines the belief you have in yourself. It's individual and his goal projects a positive self image and confidence. Something you should work on perhaps.

9. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

I don't know if it was beyond stupid. saying 2000 is beyond stupid. you can't go by past dolphins history, to make your own goal. 1500 is a nice round number. 1000 is just not good enough anymore.

10. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Amen bro.

11. TPD1479

TPD1479 Seasoned Veteran

Bottom line for me is Martin better work out as LT.

12. Coolguy3

Coolguy3 Starter Donator

"Jonathan Martin - T - Dolphins
    The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins are "privately very optimistic" about Jonathan Martin's chances of becoming a solid left tackle.

That must be the case, as despite an abundance of sound and fury, the Dolphins never seriously pursued an alternative after Jake Long bolted for the Rams. Martin, for his part, is relieved to finally know his position. "It’s exciting to play left tackle in the NFL — that has been a dream my whole life." Martin is "devouring four meals a day" in an effort to get up to 318 pounds after playing near 305 last season. The Dolphins' bevy of moves could be all for naught if Martin isn't up to the challenge of protecting Ryan Tannehill's blindside "

So much for Martin having put on 15-20 lbs...He hasn't even put on 13 lbs yet...

13. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

It's simply about opportunities. Lamar needs touches, but to get touches he has to continue to prove he can handle protection duties so that he can stay on the field. By the end of last year he had turned into a pretty good blocker, which was a HUGE improvement over the start of the year. We also have to remember that last year he was brought along slowly because of a slow healing shoulder. His only question about success is whether he can do the "other things" to allow him to stay on the field.

You ask where do people come up with those numbers. Well lets look at what he DID do last year. In 51 carries he averaged more yards per carry than Adrian Foster, Alfred Morris, Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Steven Ridley, Doug Martin and many more. They brought him along slowly so he wouldn't be worn out when we finally were able to get rid of Bush.

If Miller stays healthy and gets the touches of course 1500 yards is possible. I can certainly see 1500 from him this year, easier than I could see Reggie last year saying he was going to lead the league in rushing.

14. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You cant just use his average based on 50 carries and multiply it, football isnt like that. If thats true then Cedric Peerman, Mike goodson, Justin Forsett, Chris ivory, Joique bell and Brandon Bolden are all going to among the leading rushers in the nfl. He had limited carries so u cant just multiply carries by his current average. Thats why teams play a full season.

15. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

I fully expect, if Lamar Miller remains healthy, he will get 1500 yards, the dude is going to be unstoppable.

16. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

I don't know if he'll get to 1,500, but it sure isn't unrealistic as some would suggest. I don't see the problem in shooting for that goal, it's not a record breaking season, it's a highly productive pro bowl season for a RB, something every NFL starting RB should strive for. He absolutely has the god given ability to do it, but unfortunately, he can only run the ball, there's 10 other guys on the field that factor into his success as well.

17. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

I still wouldn't draft miller in the first 3 round of my fantasy draft. lol

18. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

well putting money where mouth is , would be a great way to show your support

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

wow after 50 carries Miller is already among the best dolphin backs ever lol

19. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Reminds me of the time Steve Smith left the Giants and everyone said the Giants didn't have another receiver to fill his shoes and were in trouble at that spot...then along came Victor Cruz...and everyone shut up.

20. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

or like last year when Brandon MArshall was traded well umm ok next example

21. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Not even relevant but do us all a favor and go look in the mirror and hate on yourself there instead of posting it on the board. Just cause you're miserable don't try to make everyone else miserable too.

22. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Truth is right, Do you ever stop? It feels like you go from thread to thread looking for a chance to slip in a negative post.

You say you are a realist but constantly point out the bad and overlook the good.

23. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Im not misarable just saying every story is not Victor cruz stepping up

24. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

And what does that have to do with Brandon Marshall? You posted that because you want to degrade every single post with your miserable attitude. You want everyone to suffer like you suffer.

25. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

What am I overlooking good here please explain . Someone points out a pie in the sky example like when Steve Smith left and I point out a recent actual example of the same thing that actually happened in miami.

26. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

WHY ?? So you are saying facts are not important as your eye test?? Miller averaged 4.9 yards per carry behind the same OL that Reggie averaged 4.3 behind. Lamar caught the ball better than Reggie, had fewer negative runs, a lower % of negative runs, showed excellent vision, and instincts, and was very safe with the ball.
    How is average per carry not a good indicator?? Are you telling me that after the first 3-5 games of the season, that whoever is leading the league in rushing, shouldn't even be considered as a contender for the rushing title because he didn't have enough carries?? Now I am certainly not saying it is a perfect indicator, nothing is, but to say you can't use it is absurd IMO.

We can make a fun little side bet if you like. We can take the 4 players you mentioned above that had over 50 carries last year (Forsett, Ivory, Bell, and Bolden) and we can add Miller to round it out to 5. Then I will let you pick 5 players of your choice who averaged .6 yards per carry LESS than those players (.6 ypc is the difference between Bush and Miller last year). Then next year we can add up the total amount of yards my 5 players have after 50 carries each, and you can add up the total of your 5 players after 50 carries and we can see who has the highest. We can make it fun by having to change our avatar or signature, to "dlocks/Ktown beat me in a bet because he obviously know more about football than I", or something else you think would be enjoyable, for a month, or week or whatever. GAME ?? I will give you your pick of the liter, you get to pick em.

27. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

No you didn't point out a similar example in Miami. Everyone knew that there wasn't any talent at WR behind Marshall except for Ireland. The Giants had been raving about Victor Cruz while he was on the practice squad, players, coaches and their GM.

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

and what did this have to do with VIctor Cruz . You cant have it both ways. The only suffer I have is my constant 7-9 football team besides that Im a pretty happy guy. All my other sports teams are at least having winning seasons and being competitive. You dont like my so called attitude dont read my damn posts. Its not like I went off topic. I replied to an example using Victor Cruz and I gave an example from last season that was quite pertinent to the discussion. Talking about 1300 and 1500 yards right now from a back that has 50 carries is beyond stupid, make it through a season as the lead back and perform well. Miller looks like he has potenial but saying he expects to have the second best rushing season in dolphin history is beyond arrogant. Hell he might as well claim he is going to lead the league in rushing. Could it happen , anything is possible but feel free to lay some money down in Vegas or with me stating you think he will get 1500 yards based on little to nothing

Some people need to grow thicker skin and quite acting like they have sand in their vagina everytime someone doesnt think a player will rush for 1500 friggin yards. I said the same thing last year when the silly discussion of Bush leading the league in rushing came up.

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Oh please there were people hyping up damn Ricardo Wallace on the board. So next damn excuse

30. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

1500 is totally realistic in this scenario. Just look at his numbers compared to Arian Foster's first year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12497/arian-foster

They had a similar role on their team and the following year Foster broke out. Don't forget Miller was a projected 2nd rd pick who fell. He obviously has the talent and showed he can run when given the chance last year. This has nothing to do with the Marshall situation Dlockz. Marshall was ushered out to make room for a new culture and make Tanne's job easier should he start. Bush was let walk because they felt Miller would do better. Completely different and totally a good reason to see upside for Miller this year.

31. 16phinsrfast

16phinsrfast Art Damage

Thats a sample of what the Dolphins PROJECT to be a full time starter. His limited time on the field produced us some decent yardage at 4.9. If i'm a betting man, and reading up on Barry Jacksons log of Miller and Gore training together, id bank on Miller achieving his goal of 1500. Also, setting HIGH goals for one self is what should bring the BEST out of you. Its obvious from reports and quotes from Miller, he flat out wants to be great. Its early to tell, but HIS VISION sounds realistic.

32. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Upside is one thing making him the best miami back ever is another, its beyond silly after a 50 carry season but whatever makes u sleep better
    Im more than willing to put a couple hundred down that he wont have the second best season in dolphin history esp with more emphasis on passing game

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

No offense but if you are a betting man then you probably dont do to well. To put your view in perspective do u know how many 1500 yard seasons Frank Gore has. That would be one. So please tell me how its a good bet he will do this. Hey I will take on anybody on site that wants to bet if Miller will get 1500 yards up to 2 grand total.

34. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

yeah thats the attitude to have to be successful in sports, set the bar real low, smh.

35. 16phinsrfast

16phinsrfast Art Damage

Can you post quotes to your "miami's best back ever"? and elaborate your reasoning as to why carries are much more valuable of an indicator to a "good" back as to Y.P.C. I don't think you realize Miller set a goal. Its a number he chose for HIMSELF to obtain and states in articles that he's working hard to get there. You being a Dolphins fan should embrace a positive attitude from a young hungry talented football player.

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

the attitude is to work hard and set realistic goals not some pie in the sky crap. Yea Philben's offense is built around handing the ball to lamar miller 300 times.

37. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Who the hell is Ricardo Wallace? :lol: :lol:

38. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't need to thrown "a couple hundred down" to be optimistic about my team. I just clearly showed you a recent example of a team that passes a lot having a back similar to Miller break out in year two. If all you have is a proposition to gamble in rebuttle and a quip about my sleep then it looks as if im right to at least have optimism and your grumpy attitude is out of excuses now.

39. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Roberto Wallace. Or Brandon London or whomever.

40. 16phinsrfast

16phinsrfast Art Damage

Bank on something, and betting are two different words. Also I said IF i'm a betting man, I would take my chances having Lamar being a starter from last years production, and back his confidence in himself to achieve his goal. Im BANKING on the kid's confidence, not money towards a goal a PERSON set for themselves. You failed to specify what my post was asking, which was please post quotes stating Lamar Miller wants to "be best back EVER". Please don't stray from topic.

41. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

1500 yard season would plainly put him there since only one dolphin back has ever eclipsed this total and they damn sure wasnt running this type of offense.

42. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

these were your exact words
    If i'm a betting man, and reading up on Barry Jacksons log of Miller and Gore training together, id bank on Miller achieving his goal of 1500

So maybe you misunderstood your own words.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

nothing wrong with optimism and confidence but they have to somewhat placed in some reality and Miller gaining 1500 yards at this time is not even close to being rooted in any kind of reality.

43. Wishfishin

Wishfishin Waterboy

Gillislee will rush for more yards than Daniel Thomas.

44. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

now thats quite more realistic

45. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

With all the recievers we have added I think 1500 will be hard to get considering as a team we rushed for 1800 last year. But if he can stay healthy I think he has a shot.

46. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

I think Miller getting over 1,000 yards bodes well for the entire offense. What do you find more realistic, Tannehill completely blowing up and tearing it up or Miller tearing it up? I expect more from Tannehill and I would guess that Tannehill has better odds to do that than Miller. Miller gaining 1,000 yards in this offense would be a terrific year-two accomplishment. I think 1,500 yards for a single running back is incredibly difficult to do, not only because that's a lot of yards but also because the NFL is a passing league and running backs are in committees if their name isn't Adrian Peterson

47. ladeback

ladeback Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

I'd love to see 1500 yards out of Miller, but wow...lets try and win the division or something.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

I'd rather see Tannehill have a fantastic year than Miller go for 1500 tbh.

48. drchillrt

drchillrt Member

I can't see anything with just 3 posts!

49. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

perhaps he could have come out and said he wants to get to 1k, baby steps....which if he stays healthy he should be able to eclipse. Im just as skeptical as you are and i would tend to believe he may not see enough work to hit that number even if he was on target for it.

50. daniel3

daniel3 Starter

"inconsistent" is a bit of an understatement Thomas, lol.