Percy may be available after all

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MarinoEqualsGod, Jan 11, 2013.

1. MarinoEqualsGod

MarinoEqualsGod The man, the myth, the legend

Per Rotoworld...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin

He would be a great fit for our offense, but his health concerns may be a big red flag for me. Although, I would hate to even imagine what he could do in New England. I may want to trade for him just to keep him away from the Patriots (I'm only half joking)...

2. El Calebra

El Calebra Fan Finheaven VIP Donator

Got to wash that Florida gator stink off of him first.

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

He will be avaliable for a reason. I wouldnt want him if he was a free agent.

4. phinfanNY08

phinfanNY08 Starter

Harvin would come cheaper than Wallace, however.. Harvin has only one year left on his contract and wouldn't trade any more than a 3rd for him due to his contract and injury issues. If he was available, see what Vikings are asking for and if it is too steep, move on

5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

No thanks, he's not even that good.

6. MarinoEqualsGod

Just because he's available for a reason doesn't mean he won't be good. I hate this logic. On the other hand, I guess it's good that we passed on Peyton Manning last year, Randy Moss in '07, Greg Olson, Anquan Bolden, etc. And it's definately good that we didn't have Brandon Marshall last year because we made him available for a reason.

7. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Your compairing Harvins situation to Mannings? Your a comedian.

8. qmar

qmar Well-Known Member

This is laughable. He could be the most electric player in the NFL today. If you said you didn't want him b/c of the injury history (migraines, etc.) than I respect that and your opinion. Saying he isn't even that good is a joke.

9. DolfanGator

DolfanGator Rookie

Before this season he has missed 3 games in his career. He got an ankle injury this year over extending himself for the team. Their entire offense was give the ball to AP or Percy... THATS IT! I don't see the "injury concern" point that people keep bringing up.

And that fact that "he's not that good" - REALLY?! What are you basing that off of?

10. MarinoEqualsGod

Well, Manning was available for a reason, so it's a good thing we didn't get him. Let another team take someone else's garbage like Manning

11. MarinoEqualsGod

I think people are more concerned about his migraine issue than any actual phyisical injury. As someone that has suffered from migraines for 26 years (since I was 5 years old), I can tell you that they can pop up at any time and are often debilitating (sp.?).

Just for the record, I'm neither for or against getting Harvin. I just think we should explore all our options. If the price is right, why not?

12. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

True, Marshall really helped get his teams to the playoffs this year.

13. MarinoEqualsGod

He helped his team get 10 wins. 10 wins would have gotten us into the playoffs in the AFC.

14. Vertical Limit

The guy has yet to record a single 1000 yard receiving season which pretty much makes you an average receiver in today's NFL.

We already have a guy that can do everything he does in Reggie Bush. Harvin is not a premier receiver. Pass.

15. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

If he's available for a good price, sure, dude is a damn good player.

16. Digital

Digital Starter

I like him, but I can't see any scenario where I would consider him value. This draft has a lot of players that fit our needs at WR and DE, so I really don't want to give up a high draft pick in a trade. If he's available as a FA, he'll be an expensive slot WR but doesn't give us the teaching and locker room quality that Jennings has nor does he instantly fit into our system. He has age on his side for sure, but his headaches and stature are a serious problem. Jennings has had injuries this past year after a lot of offseason endorsements, and honestly, that's not uncommon. But, even Jennings seems like a less risky proposition than Harvin, and at that cost I want a dependable player, particularly if it's a long term investment like Harvin would be.

We need to also consider price. Harvin reminds me a LOT of Desean Jackson ... and Fraction Jackson was very good in his contract year, and has basically disappeared since. I prefer Randall Cobb, but this was his first breakthrough season and he's not available. These small and fast WR's look dynamite when they can avoid contact ... but eventually they get contacted, and they tend to get injuries and sometimes fear. Just too many potential problems for me to invest heavily.

Jennings would be my top target, with my hope to draft 2 WR's in the top 3 rounds to learn under him. Jennings gets us 3 good years until those young guys can take the reins and Philbin's offense is humming along. But, if that scenario isn't going to happen, and we get a young veteran WR, then I'd rather have Wallace, who is a real split end (X) WR as opposed to a dangerous slot guy. Slot WR's are simply easier to find. A #1 X WR is very hard to find and very pricey.

If you want the Percy Harvin type without getting Percy Harvin, drafting Tavon Austin isn't a bad option ... but he's even smaller. Not the same, but its another option.

17. The Omen

So if we kept Marshall and if Dan Carpenter doesn't miss 2 field Goals we coulda gone 12-4!!!!

Shoulda, coulda, woulda is fun to play... but the facts are the fact, Marshall and the Bears missed the playoffs just like we did. Now They are scrambling for a new head coach, and I don't envy the guy who takes that job, Culter (the coach killer) and B. Marshall are the meat and cheese of a douche bag sandwich.

edit: but back to the thread topic, I'm actually with you, I'm neither for or against Percy, if the coaches think he's worth bringing in, and if the compensation is worth it to us, I'm sure we can use him.

18. me4mvp

me4mvp Active Member

We can't let him go to the patriots, send over a 3rd.

19. MarinoEqualsGod

I was simply trying to point out that he wasn't the sole reason they missed the playoffs, just like he wouldn't have been the sole reason for our amount of wins if he were here. You still can't deny that he is a beast: 118 receptions, 1,508 yards, 12.8 avg., 11 TDs. That's about four times the number of touchdowns that all of our receivers had this past year.

At least we are agreeable on one thing though... lol.

20. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

we can't really say marshall would've added 1500 yards to the 3000+ passing yards we had. it's safer to assume he would've taken 1000 yards away from bess and hartline. And... we have no way of knowing if he even would've played for us this year. I think the only QB he wanted this season was cutler and he might've sat out the season on protest.

21. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

I like how you said "could be" rather than "is." When in reality, Harvin still hasn't reached 1000 yard season as of yet.

22. SunsPhinsfan03

SunsPhinsfan03 A True Fan

Tread carefully. I'd much rather go Jennings/Hopkins or Jennings/Woods/Bailey. I'd be happy if we got Harvin, but their seem to be easier ways to fill the WR slot with
    proven players and youngsters without giving up picks

23. The Omen

B. Marshall is a beast (at least that is his nick name)... If only his talent/skills/atheletic abilty were attached to somebody who wasn't a complete **** head! Marshall wasn't a team player, he desperatly wanted out of Miami, so we did what we could and got what we could for him...

I don't care how hot a chick is, if she's a complete ****, high maintence and leaves you with blue balls (drops key TD passes in the end zone), it's time to let some other poor guy deal with her baggage because ultimatly you'll be better off in the long run regarless of how much you'll miss hitting it from the back side.

24. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

And what about the dropped Td in the early Green bay game that cost them the playoffs.

Now the Bears weren't going to the playoffs without BM efforts but they could have 11 or 12 wins if he doesn't do his normal dropsies against good teams.

25. MarinoEqualsGod

What about his clutch reception on a jump ball against Seattle that set up the game winning field goal with no time remaining. We could go on for days with this...

26. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Like I said he did win some games for Chicago, just not enough to make the playoffs. Like always.

27. Vertical Limit

I don't understand why people knock Marshall for not making the playoffs. The guy is a receiver, which means he's a roleplayer, a pretty damn good one too, but I don't like the drops in big games which is why I don't want Bowe either.

But still, you guys make it sound like the Patriots would not be in the playoffs if they had him.

28. The Omen

we're only defending the argument that if we retained Marshall we would have made the playoffs (or at least have a way better record)... Point is, B. Marshall alone didn't help the Bears get to the playoffs anymore then he helped us... this is speaking from his production standpoint, over looking the drama he brought to our team.

29. Emanauguste

Emanauguste Active Member

Percy harvin almost leads the league in all purpose yards every year... ya he hasnt reached a 1000 yard season... but who was his qb every year cmon with a good qb percy would b the most electrifying player in this league he was on pace to shatter records this year but was shut down because an injury and an argument with the coaching staff.. I would love him on our team he can play receiver, running back, kr hes an all around beast n would be better than alot of those other guys everyone is talking about... some of u all just dont no football... he was being said to be the mvp for the Viking s b4 he got injured and I recall ap saying him and percy was like having to mjs on one team.... hes better than any player we've ever had at that position n he comes with no bagadge

30. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

His migraines are concerning to me. When he plays he adds a spark to the offense and is capable of big plays at any time. On the other hand he has missed alot of games and I would not want to give up alot in compensation or in a new contract. Too much of a gamble IMO.

31. Vertical Limit

We already have an all purpose yards player in Reggie Bush and we barely even use him properly. Sorry I think we keep Bush and look for more of a traditional receiver, like Jennings rather than add Percy. If Percy is cool with a fair contract I won't mind it though but it looks to me he wants DeSean Jackson money which is not happening here, at least I hope. Mike Wallace and Jennings are more deserving of that type of contract.

32. ohiohurricane

ohiohurricane Active Member

Just give me an alpha wr

33. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

For all of you saying Percy is injury prone you might want to do a little research. He spent a ton of time at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and they found out his migraines were due to sleep apnia. Since then they havn't given him a problem at all. This year he injured his ankle after being tackled from behind. It was a freak injury as the defender's momentem caused him to roll over Percy's leg. I don't see how from that information you consider him injury prone.

And those of you who think Percy isn't one of the most electric players in the league you should probably do yourselfs a favor and just watch a couple Vikings games. He is mister all purpose. He ran the ball out of the backfield, caught tons of passes and is an all world return man. SMDH at people who don't know the talent this kid has.

One thing is for sure as well, if the Patriots can make a trade for him they will and they will also have no problem letting Welker go if they do. That is a scenario I do not want to see happen.

34. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

Percy is a receiver and return man first and a RB second. Plus he is way more talented than reggie. Funny thing is that based on skill set and shear ability Percy deserves DeSean Jackson money more than DeSean does.

35. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Trading a 3rd for Harvin would be ok. Harvin could return kicks and be the #2 wr if Miami say signs Jennings and drafts a wr too like Keenan Allen. Then release thigpen. I wouldn't mind a receiving core of greg Jennings, Percy Harvin, Keenan Allen, Brian hartline, Davone bess and rishard Matthews

36. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

If Harvin becomes available it will be because the folks in Minnesota have figured out something about his personality not his ability on the field. Harvin had quite a reputation here in Gator country, but a lot was overlooked because of what he could do between the lines. IDK he's a Philbin type.

37. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Thank you for this post
    I now know to ignore every single thing you say with regards to scouting a player.

edit: for more substance... Percy is being ridden HARD. If he were given just a WR role, the guy would excel. Instead, he's their only playmaker besides AdP. This means he has to work his *** off on EVERYTHING, because they are just that bad.

If Miami delegated him to solely WR, he'd be putting up numbers that would make DeSean Jackson blush. He'd be discussed in the same breath as Mike Wallace. Percy Harvin would be a fantastic WR to have on our team when it's gameday.

But he doesn't fit the mold of Philbin. Miami doesn't grab him. I'd be shocked if they did.

38. CamWakeForest

CamWakeForest Well-Known Member

I can definitely see him in a Patriot uniform next year :/

39. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

This 100%. I'm pretty sure the migraines are non-issue at this point

40. Digital

Digital Starter

I certainly don't think WR's are role players. IMHO, they are feature players and its uncommon to find a great team without at least 1 top notch WR. The reason there are so many diva WR's these days are because they are so important, that teams will put up with their antics if they are good.

The Patriots revolve around Brady, but after him who are their stars? Not the revolving door or RB's, but the WR's and pass catching TE's around which their passing game is built. I would say only San Fran is a top team without a top receiver.

As an offense we want to be Green Bay south. For this to happen we need quick WR's who are great at creating separation, running great routes, and have great hands. Marshall has bad hands, is a bad route runner and has a disruptive impact on the locker room. He doesn't fit our offense and had to go. The only argument is how much we got.

WCO offenses are built around precise route running, accurate passing, reliable catching, and ability to run after the catch. If the offense has those things it is unstoppable.

We all want the guy who is 6'4 with deep speed, but if they don't have the stuff I described above, they will stall our offense. In the draft, only Justin Hunter and maybe that kid from Va. Tech have that profile. Neither has great hands to be a reliable catcher, and only Hunter looks like he has the makings of a good NFL WR. But, someone like Cordarrelle Patterson has less red zone ability but boatloads of RAC and is a great fit. He does need to improve his route running and hands before he is ready to play, so he is also a bit of a project.

Robert Woods and Keenan Allen may not be the physical specimens, but they fit the WCO well. Woods is smaller but fast. Allen doesn't have quite the deep speed but he is bigger. Those guys or Ryan Swope would be great fits.

Marshall is better fit for down field passing teams IMHO.