Peyton Manning as GM? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Peyton Manning as GM?

I support anybody over Tannenbaum for two reasons. Not only is it very hard to be worse than Tannenbaum, but he's a conman who is likely to dupe Ross into keeping him for at least another 5 years. I don't care if his replacement is Ted Ginn's family, I will support it if it means the organization can move on from him.

That's a good point, how long of a contract did Tannenbaum sign? Does anyone know?

A GM's job is a complex one, thing of a person that not only has to deal with the draft, but Free Agency, player contracts etc. I like Payton Manning but to make him our GM because he was a good QB....come on.

A GM's job is a complex one, thing of a person that not only has to deal with the draft, but Free Agency, player contracts etc. I like Payton Manning but to make him our GM because he was a good QB....come on.

Peyton wasn't just an all time great QB, we're talking about arguably the greatest football mind in NFL history...I mean the Niners just hired John Lynch as GM, Peyton is 10x more qualified

I'd gamble on him at GM in a heartbeat. He knows as much about building a team as anyone. He's had success with great offenses in Indy and then again with a great defense in Denver.

Peyton wasn't just an all time great QB, we're talking about arguably the greatest football mind in NFL history...I mean the Niners just hired John Lynch as GM, Peyton is 10x more qualified
Yes they did and we can debate if that was a good hire or not.......but what makes Peyton or lynch qualified? Tannenbaum for all his BS is an attorney (pretty sure) which I believe is important especially when dealing with complex contracts and the cap. What I am saying snoop is... being able to possibly spot talent is only one aspect of the job, it entails so much more.

I'd gamble on him at GM in a heartbeat. He knows as much about building a team as anyone. He's had success with great offenses in Indy and then again with a great defense in Denver.
I won't be angry if he became our GM....but it's a gamble

I'd be up for Peyton Manning as GM although you'd have to get rid of Tannenbaum otherwise there's no point. I'd bring back Dawn Aponte (who is now chief administrator for the NFL league office for football operations) to replace T-Baum and be VP of Football Operations.

No. He is a Marino-like person off the field. Good advisor for QBs and a figure head for an organization but no GM. He'll go into TV one day and become an analyst and that is a good spot for him.

I won't be angry if he became our GM....but it's a gamble

Sports is an endless cycle of dice rolling. We've just been crapping out for too long. Eventually everyone hits a jackpot. It's just a matter of whether we will still being alive when it happens.

Sports is an endless cycle of dice rolling. We've just been crapping out for too long. Eventually everyone hits a jackpot. It's just a matter of whether we will still being alive when it happens.
Completely understand. This team has been pretty crappy for years.....

Manning would be the first GM ever to walk out onto the field pre-snap to shout "Omaha! Omaha!!!" at the offense.

Actually, I have a better idea. Peyton Manning as Offensive Coordinator. The guy was said to have a photographic memory about plays. I'm sure he still has a great love of the game that exceeded when his body broke down.

Peyton remembers plays from years ago:
http://nypost.com/2014/01/30/peyton-mannings-film-study-obsession-is-stuff-of-legend/
Joe Harrington was at lunch when his phone rang in December 2012.

It was Peyton Manning calling. Harrington is the sports technology coordinator at the University of Tennessee, meaning he’s in charge of all the game film there. He has known Manning since the summer of 1994, when Manning showed up as a freshman.

On this day, Manning was not interested in catching up. Manning, in his first year with the Broncos, had a request for Harrington.

“In 1996 Tennessee played Ole Miss in Memphis,” Harrington recalled Manning asking. “In the third quarter we ran a play called ‘flip right duo X motion fake roll 98 block pass special.’ … I need you to find that play, I need you to digitize it, and I need you to send it to me.”

Sure enough, Manning’s memory of the play was spot on. Harrington sent it to him and the Broncos put the play into their game plan that week.

Peyton breaks down defenses faster than anyone:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...yton-he-s-got-a-photographic-memory-1.2589092
The Jets thought they were ready for Peyton Manning, feeling every bit as confident as their head coach, Rex Ryan, heading into last year’s AFC title game. And then Manning, the Colts’ Hall of Fame-bound quarterback, picked apart their defensive scheme with ease – and the Jets were left scrambling.

“He called out everybody and what they were doing,” cornerback Dwight Lowery said Wednesday. “It was the weirdest thing I’ve ever experienced as a football player; for a quarterback to call out what every single player’s doing – he’s blitzing, he’s dropping, he’s doing this, he’s doing that.’

Peyton remembers his scores from years ago:
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/...ning-can-recall-his-47-tds-like-happened.html
As if reading from a script, Manning ticked off not only names but the plays of some of his TD throws over his 17-year career.

"There was a tight end named Mike Roberg in there, Tom Santi, Lamont Warren. I have not seen Mike Roberg in quite a long time, I'll say that. Tom Santi from Virginia. Gijon Robinson," Manning said.

"The scary thing is I can actually remember the touchdown. Gijon Robinson caught — a goal-line naked against New England in New England. Fake bootleg left, roll right, wide open because nobody thought we would be throwing it to Gijon Robinson."

Manning shook his head as if trying to rattle the memories from his mind.

"I can't remember a lot of things, important things, but I have a lot of useless information," Manning said with a chuckle. "I can remember Trevor Insley caught a pass up the left sideline against Atlanta on a fake screen pass."

Last edited:
If he has foresight to match his forehead, sign me up.

I will give Manning the benefit of the doubt on being involved in an offense, QB advisory, etc....but on the overall running of a team, full personnel controls, and the day to day of an organization? Not ready to hop on for that experience and associated learning curve....

Back
Top Bottom