PFF: 10 undrafted free agents likely to make final rosters | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF: 10 undrafted free agents likely to make final rosters

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
3. Praise Martin-Oguike, Edge, Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins’ depth at linebacker is thin, even with the selection of Ohio State’s Raekwon McMillan in the third round. Praise Martin-Oguike not only brings depth to the corps, but versatility, as well, as he totaled 102 QB pressures over the last three seasons at Temple to go with 91 total defensive stops. He looks like a viable rotational defender as a rookie, especially if he’s able to contribute on special teams early (he posted a positive special teams grade in each of the past three college seasons).

4. De’Veon Smith, RB, Miami Dolphins

Running back is another position in which the Dolphins lack depth, as Damien Williams is currently refusing to sign his tender, and Jay Ajayi’s other backup, Kenyan Drake, lacks the frame to be relied upon as a pass blocker. This is a critical area where De’Veon Smith can help Miami, as he gave up just one sack (none the past two seasons) and four QB hits over his past three seasons for Michigan.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dr...ocial&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

3. Praise Martin-Oguike, Edge, Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins’ depth at linebacker is thin, even with the selection of Ohio State’s Raekwon McMillan in the third round. Praise Martin-Oguike not only brings depth to the corps, but versatility, as well, as he totaled 102 QB pressures over the last three seasons at Temple to go with 91 total defensive stops. He looks like a viable rotational defender as a rookie, especially if he’s able to contribute on special teams early (he posted a positive special teams grade in each of the past three college seasons).

4. De’Veon Smith, RB, Miami Dolphins

Running back is another position in which the Dolphins lack depth, as Damien Williams is currently refusing to sign his tender, and Jay Ajayi’s other backup, Kenyan Drake, lacks the frame to be relied upon as a pass blocker. This is a critical area where De’Veon Smith can help Miami, as he gave up just one sack (none the past two seasons) and four QB hits over his past three seasons for Michigan.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dr...ocial&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Didn't realize Smith was such a pass blocking stud

McMillian was drafted in the second round not the third, and I seriously doubt De'Veon Smith even makes a practice squad.

No mention of Chase Allen? Hes more of a 4-3 LB then Martin-Oguike is. He's good too

Misi
Raekwon
Praise
Hewitt
Timmons (1 Year Rental)
Kiko
Hull (Final Year, then he's a goner)
Chase Allen

...best LB group we've had in years.

Smith's pass blocking is exceptional. His lack of vision prevents him from being an all around back.

Misi
Raekwon
Praise
Hewitt
Timmons (1 Year Rental)
Kiko
Hull (Final Year, then he's a goner)
Chase Allen

...best LB group we've had in years.

Agreed, very happy with what we have done to the unit.

Timmons is her for two years, or else he is getting a whole lot of guaranteed money from us next year to play on another team.

Agreed, very happy with what we have done to the unit.

Timmons is her for two years, or else he is getting a whole lot of guaranteed money from us next year to play on another team.

The issue with the linebackers will be covering the pass. It will be interesting to see if Gase sticks with this defensive scheme if the defense does not improve.

Smith doesn't look very good on tape, but you never know. Miami definitely needs depth at running back.

If you are looking for a home run hitter you are right. But he reminds me of an Anderson type, who plods through and he is gaining yards without folks realizing it. His average yards per carry was 4.7.

I've never been a fan of De'Veon Smith but you have to say he has a legitimate chance right now. If Clyde Christensen already likes him, that's a big deal. It means he's fourth among halfbacks, and some teams keep four. If they decide to keep four, he makes it.

Eric Smith has a legit chance. Beating guys like Jesse Davis, Terry Poole, Jake Brendel, and Avery Young, all very doable if you're familiar with Eric Smith. That could see him in 10th place, and teams often keep 10 offensive linemen. If one injury happens, and god knows Pouncey is prone, Smith makes the roster. Even if now, the team could keep 10 linemen. And even taking that aside I very much imagine that Eric Smith could displace Anthony Steen. Let's suppose that the final lineup ends up being some combination of Tunsil, Bushrod, Pouncey, Larsen, and James. Among the backups we figure to make the roster, we have a left/right tackle in Sam Young, a left/right guard in Isaac Asiata, and a center-guard in Kraig Urbik. They'll have to make a decision about what fits as the fourth backup, another center-guard like Urbik, or more of a guard-tackle like Eric Smith.

I have weighed in on Praise Martin-Oguike. He has his work cut out for him, and will surely have to beat Terrence Fede for a spot. Burke recently stated they want to keep Terrence Fede out on the edge and they don't see him as a player that is versatile going between tackle and end, so that's a positive in favor of Praise. If Fede had versatility in their eyes, he'd be safer. I see the coaches wanting to keep an oversized guy with versatility but that could be Nick Williams or Julius Warmsley fighting for that spot. If they decide to keep a 10th defensive lineman, it will be between Fede and Praise most likely. If they end up prizing the versatility in defensive ends to be able to pull back and play from an up position, that helps Praise.

The WR spot is pretty hairy. I think you've got four secure players with Jakeem Grant being the fourth one, and again I will tell people all day until they add or find another guy they really like on punt returns, that will continue to be the case. There will be a 5th spot but whether it goes to Leonte Carroo, Isaiah Ford, Drew Morgan, Malcolm Lewis, Rashawn Scott, Damore'ea Stringfellow, or Francis Owusu...is anyone's guess. I see that as wide open. Isaiah Ford will remind Adam Gase of Brandon Lloyd. Drew Morgan will make it clear he is the best candidate to work the slot if Jarvis Landry were to get hurt. Leonte Carroo still has the faith of the WR Coach Shawn Jefferson, and both he and Rashawn Scott will have the advantage of being in their second year. Stringfellow will be physically intriguing but I think his tendency to drop the ball will see him down the list a bit. Francis Owusu will probably be sniffed out for the fact he doesn't really play like a wide receiver. Malcolm Lewis is a bit of a wildcard, but I can't imagine he's a strong candidate for the roster. I think the smart money will be on a four-way final battle between Leonte Carroo, Rashawn Scott, Drew Morgan, and Isaiah Ford for one or perhaps two spots on the roster.

I've mentioned Maurice Smith before as a guy who could make it. But it won't be easy. You've already got five corners between Maxwell, Howard, Lippett, McCain, and Tankersley, that will very likely make the roster one way or another. They won't have to keep T.J. McDonald on roster until he comes off suspension, which is a plus. But they're going to want two backup safeties, and I don't know that Maurice Smith is a real safety, any more than Michael Thomas was. Notice when Reshad got hurt, they signed and played a street free agent Baccari Rambo rather than have Michael Thomas play safety. They're likely going to have Reshad Jones, Nate Allen, Walt Aikens (special teams dynamo), and A.J. Hendy at the safety spots until McDonald comes back, and that gives them a 10th defensive back position available for either Michael Thomas or Maurice Smith. And they seem to love Michael Thomas for how smart he is and how good a locker room guy he is.

If you are looking for a home run hitter you are right. But he reminds me of an Anderson type, who plods through and he is gaining yards without folks realizing it. His average yards per carry was 4.7.

Not a bad comparison. Definitely lacks speed and doesn't look impressive, but does get the job done. We'll see how that translates. Have to think Gase knows what he is looking for there.

I've never been a fan of De'Veon Smith but you have to say he has a legitimate chance right now. If Clyde Christensen already likes him, that's a big deal. It means he's fourth among halfbacks, and some teams keep four. If they decide to keep four, he makes it.

Eric Smith has a legit chance. Beating guys like Jesse Davis, Terry Poole, Jake Brendel, and Avery Young, all very doable if you're familiar with Eric Smith. That could see him in 10th place, and teams often keep 10 offensive linemen. If one injury happens, and god knows Pouncey is prone, Smith makes the roster. Even if now, the team could keep 10 linemen. And even taking that aside I very much imagine that Eric Smith could displace Anthony Steen. Let's suppose that the final lineup ends up being some combination of Tunsil, Bushrod, Pouncey, Larsen, and James. Among the backups we figure to make the roster, we have a left/right tackle in Sam Young, a left/right guard in Isaac Asiata, and a center-guard in Kraig Urbik. They'll have to make a decision about what fits as the fourth backup, another center-guard like Urbik, or more of a guard-tackle like Eric Smith.

I have weighed in on Praise Martin-Oguike. He has his work cut out for him, and will surely have to beat Terrence Fede for a spot. Burke recently stated they want to keep Terrence Fede out on the edge and they don't see him as a player that is versatile going between tackle and end, so that's a positive in favor of Praise. If Fede had versatility in their eyes, he'd be safer. I see the coaches wanting to keep an oversized guy with versatility but that could be Nick Williams or Julius Warmsley fighting for that spot. If they decide to keep a 10th defensive lineman, it will be between Fede and Praise most likely. If they end up prizing the versatility in defensive ends to be able to pull back and play from an up position, that helps Praise.

The WR spot is pretty hairy. I think you've got four secure players with Jakeem Grant being the fourth one, and again I will tell people all day until they add or find another guy they really like on punt returns, that will continue to be the case. There will be a 5th spot but whether it goes to Leonte Carroo, Isaiah Ford, Drew Morgan, Malcolm Lewis, Rashawn Scott, Damore'ea Stringfellow, or Francis Owusu...is anyone's guess. I see that as wide open. Isaiah Ford will remind Adam Gase of Brandon Lloyd. Drew Morgan will make it clear he is the best candidate to work the slot if Jarvis Landry were to get hurt. Leonte Carroo still has the faith of the WR Coach Shawn Jefferson, and both he and Rashawn Scott will have the advantage of being in their second year. Stringfellow will be physically intriguing but I think his tendency to drop the ball will see him down the list a bit. Francis Owusu will probably be sniffed out for the fact he doesn't really play like a wide receiver. Malcolm Lewis is a bit of a wildcard, but I can't imagine he's a strong candidate for the roster. I think the smart money will be on a four-way final battle between Leonte Carroo, Rashawn Scott, Drew Morgan, and Isaiah Ford for one or perhaps two spots on the roster.

I've mentioned Maurice Smith before as a guy who could make it. But it won't be easy. You've already got five corners between Maxwell, Howard, Lippett, McCain, and Tankersley, that will very likely make the roster one way or another. They won't have to keep T.J. McDonald on roster until he comes off suspension, which is a plus. But they're going to want two backup safeties, and I don't know that Maurice Smith is a real safety, any more than Michael Thomas was. Notice when Reshad got hurt, they signed and played a street free agent Baccari Rambo rather than have Michael Thomas play safety. They're likely going to have Reshad Jones, Nate Allen, Walt Aikens (special teams dynamo), and A.J. Hendy at the safety spots until McDonald comes back, and that gives them a 10th defensive back position available for either Michael Thomas or Maurice Smith. And they seem to love Michael Thomas for how smart he is and how good a locker room guy he is.

Does this suggest that he has lost the faith of Gase? Or is that purely a comment about his wr coach?

Does this suggest that he has lost the faith of Gase? Or is that purely a comment about his wr coach?

Carroo can catch, no doubt about it. He caught 3 balls last year and one of them was a TD, not a bad catch to TD ratio...lol. His problem was knowing the offense well enough not to be a liability on the field. He was trying to learn all three positions and didn't do it well enough to be trusted. That was last year, Gase wants him to learn one WR position this year, which should help him play fast. He may surprise the coaches and have learned all three this off season.. we're see.

Back
Top Bottom