PFF rates the offensive lines | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF rates the offensive lines

Casas9425

Club Member
Reaction score
23. Miami Dolphins (22)

PB – 22nd, RB – 20th, PEN – 20th
Stud: He finished the season poorly by the standards he set, but for a stretch of the season there wasn’t a better center in the league than Mike Pouncey (+17.6).
Dud: You spend a high pick on a rookie, then it’s likely at some point you’re going to want to see what you’ve got. Well, the Dolphins got a good long look at Jonathan Martin (-22.0) and they’ll know he’s got a long way to go before he becomes the player they drafted him to be.
Summary: With Jake Long not the player he was this line was always going to struggle to replicate the performances of years gone by. A slow start didn’t help things either, and right now they appear a unit in transition. Really interesting to watch just what happens with Long this offseason.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/2/

Fair enough honestly. Martin had his moments of good and bad. Jerry did better than a lot of us expected I think

Well right down that list at number 17 is one of the teams playing next week in the Super Bowl. I'll take a stud back and good QB any day over top 5 line play!

I'd say 23rd is probably about right honestly. Pouncy was good. Long was not nearly as bad as this board seems to think, but he was a lot worse than his first few years. Despite his playing in the Pro Bowl, Incognito wasn't good, he was average or a bit below. John Jerry was atrocious. Jonathan Martin was woefully overmatched as a rookie.

Yes, Martin's play stunk last year. We gave him a lot of help and he still stunk. Unless he gets a LOT stronger he is a bust. But, I have some belief that he will get the needed power and be able to start using proper technique because he doesn't have to massively overset against bull rushes.

So fingers crossed, but I think Martin can turn the corner.

I have zero faith in John Jerry. He has always had the physical ability. He has a long track record of very poor play as an NFL lineman. Replace Jerry, that needs to be done his season. Grab Justin Pugh or Winters in round 4 to play G.

Eventually, we will need more replacements. If we don't resign Long we need to draft a LT, likely at #12 overall. :( Even if Martin makes incredible strides this off season (fingers crossed) he will not be good enough to play LT.

If we keep Long, and Martin develops (both big questions), we can go after a second G. Not likely IMHO, so this doesn't look like the off season will be the one where we replace Incognito.

If we try to play Jonathan Martin at LT and a mid round draft puck at RT, we will be the 2013 version of last years Cardinals/Eagles. I'll be shocked and devestated if that happens.

I thought Martin played well and looked comfortable enough to start at the left side next year. We need much better LG and RT play

Back
Top Bottom