PFF top ten steals of the draft.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF top ten steals of the draft....

WaxOn WaxOff

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
team-header_mia.png

7. Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson (Round 3, pick No. 97 overall)
The deep cornerback class pushed down a lot of talented corners, making a handful of them fantastic value. No one stood out more in that regard though than Tankersley. The Clemson cornerback has a top-notch blend of length and speed that will allow the Dolphins to play press coverage regularly. This past year, Tankersley recorded 13 combined pass breakups and interceptions and allowed a 42.4 passer rating when targeted.

A lot of posters point to his grabby hands and poor tackling.

The poor tackling, I'm not so sure. Voch Lombardi pointed out that a lot of this year's cornerbacks are awful tacklers.

He does have Sam Madison syndrome, though. However, Tankersly seems to do it at the time of the catch, meaning he doesn't do it because he's slow.

Either way, at 6'1" 200lbs running a 4.4 forty, this guy is a tremendous prospect.

Only one reception of 30+ yards last year.

He averages one to two holding calls per game. I think you live with that if he's holding opposing QB's to a 40ish rating in his area.

I love what we did in this draft. Not only did we address our needs, but we got huge value too. To me, cornerback was not a pressing, immediate need for us. But with that being said, Tankersley was a first-round kind of talent and an absolute steal. I think that him and Howard can develop into a great starting tandem of corners in our system. Surtain and Madison part 2? Hopefully McMillan and Harris develop into our next ZT and JT and we'll be in serious freakin business on defense sooner than later. Hell yeah.

This is a case where I really wish we still had Joseph here to coach this kid up. I am not all that excited given the analysis I have read on him, and mainly the fact that I don't really see him beating out Lippet or Howard any time soon. I didn't really love this pick, but he is prototype size and speed if he can be coached up. Just not sure how good our secondary coaches are now.

I think Tankersley is a steal. His issues pretty much come down to coaching. Yes, he's not interested in tacking ... but he will not play unless that changes fast. He is poor when he needs to read in space. That is because in college there is a very limited amount of time to film study and to learn how to read offenses. Tankersley isn't the brightest bulb, so he's going to need more time and coaching reading offenses ... but he has that now and we should see a lot of improvement in that area. The grabby stuff, well he's a collegiate press corner, and they're never the finished article. Look at what our staff did with Tony Lippett in 2 years and Xavient Howard in 1 year? Both of those guys had the same issue with grabbiness. IMHO, Tank is a significantly better version of Lippett, but without his main negative--speed.

Tankersley will not play a ton as a rookie, and if he does he will get burned. But, he's going to turn out to be a very good addition to the team.

This is a case where I really wish we still had Joseph here to coach this kid up. I am not all that excited given the analysis I have read on him, and mainly the fact that I don't really see him beating out Lippet or Howard any time soon. I didn't really love this pick, but he is prototype size and speed if he can be coached up. Just not sure how good our secondary coaches are now.

It's how we get depth and get better. If Maxwell or Howard get injured we aren't looking at a debacle

Lippett kinda stinks and a few of his picks were on balls thrown right to him... The pick in the end zone against San Diego comes to mind. What a horrible throw and decision by Rivers.
As far as where they were coming out of college, Tank is a much better and much more gifted athlete at corner. Especially since Lippett was rusty, coming off of a full season playing WR at Mich St. We should honestly see if Lippett can develop at FS because he has size, speed, range, hands and ball skills but I don't believe in his pure coverage ability... Although I'm not sure if he has the tackling ability.

You want more range from a fs than Lippett can give you..
Also I might be in the minority but I think Lippett is starting to turn the corner pardon the pun.
Kid is still trending up

This pick is a direct shot at maxwell.

Plays exactly the same way but somehow is a worse tackler. Good player good value but I'd rather they filled the hole at RG if Asiata can start.

I personally think lipett can be something special along with a healthy Howard. Howard seems to be the most talented but best suited for the slot.

This pick is a direct shot at maxwell.

Plays exactly the same way but somehow is a worse tackler. Good player good value but I'd rather they filled the hole at RG if Asiata can start.

I personally think lipett can be something special along with a healthy Howard. Howard seems to be the most talented but best suited for the slot.

Howard's strength (like Tankersley) is being physical at the LOS, press technique, and recovery which would be negated in the slot. Both are perimeter corners.

The more I find out about him, the more I like the pick. The Howard/Maxell/Tankersley triumvirate should work out nicely and I think if Tankersley pays attention, he can shut down the third receiver, leaving the safeties to help with the studs. As mentioned before, it's going to come down to how well he's coached and how well he accepts what he's being taught. I would have loved another CB in this draft but if we could only get one, we got a good one at the last point that we were likely to be able to.

I saw Maxwell get called for what seemed a hold or two per game, but he wore down receivers, frustrated them and didn't give up the big plays ... he'd take the penalty instead.

I look at Tankersley and that's what I see, but with better ball skills. I'll take a couple of holds on a drive if it ends up with us getting an interception the third time they go his way.

Lippett kinda stinks and a few of his picks were on balls thrown right to him... The pick in the end zone against San Diego comes to mind. What a horrible throw and decision by Rivers.
As far as where they were coming out of college, Tank is a much better and much more gifted athlete at corner. Especially since Lippett was rusty, coming off of a full season playing WR at Mich St. We should honestly see if Lippett can develop at FS because he has size, speed, range, hands and ball skills but I don't believe in his pure coverage ability... Although I'm not sure if he has the tackling ability.

Sadly I agree, not sure he's NFL material. Hope I'm wrong, but he looks very stiff out there to me.

Back
Top Bottom