‘Phil is just showing up’ with Lakers, ’Zo says | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘Phil is just showing up’ with Lakers, ’Zo says

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
"To tell you the truth, Phil doesn't have to do anything but call timeouts," said Mourning, the former NBA star who helped lead the Miami Heat to the 2006 championship and twice was named the league's defensive player of the year.

"Kobe is the facilitator. He is the one driving the mission of this particular team right now," he said. "The communication level he has with his teammates out there, you can just see it."
"I think Phil is just showing up, to tell you the truth, and Kobe is doing all the work to make this team successful."

Mourning was speaking Wednesday on a teleconference that also included Shane Battier and Wally Szczerbiak promoting the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship at Lake Tahoe. They are among the 75 sports stars and celebrities scheduled to play in the 20th annual event at Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course July 17-19.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31210215/

"the former NBA star who helped lead the Miami Heat to the 2006 championship "

Huh? They mean the former player who rode the coattails of Shaq and wade to a title.

Phil Jackson is the best coach in the history of the NBA.

I seem to remember 'Zo being the best center on the court for the majority of the playoffs, most noticeably in the finals.

I haven't paid all that much attention to the playoffs after Miami's dismissal, but some of the defensive play by the Lakers has completely mystified me. Walton seemed to be guarding 'Melo every time he went off, with the all defensive first teamer sitting in a corner covering JR Smith. And who lets a team play JJ Redick at PG without pressuring him?

Huh? They mean the former player who rode the coattails of Shaq and wade to a title.

Yes, I bet he had to work extra hard to lead Jordan/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq to the title.

On the pro level great coaches are made by great players more often than vice versa.

Course, I do believe Jackson is a good coach, but he's been set up to succeed.

Bet you wish Patrick Ewing could have rode someone's coattails to a championship, Mr. Closet Knicks fan.

Sorry, but a ridiculous statement, Mourning was a huge part of their success and means more to the Heat than Shaquille ever will. He most certainly didn't play like a back-up and you would have known this if you watched them play the year they won their title.

One of toughest, hardest working players ever. That was a team title. And he was a huge part of it.

I seem to remember 'Zo being the best center on the court for the majority of the playoffs, most noticeably in the finals.

I haven't paid all that much attention to the playoffs after Miami's dismissal, but some of the defensive play by the Lakers has completely mystified me. Walton seemed to be guarding 'Melo every time he went off, with the all defensive first teamer sitting in a corner covering JR Smith. And who lets a team play JJ Redick at PG without pressuring him?

yep his 3.8 PPG and 3 boards really showed he was the best C on the court the majority of the playoffs.:rolleyes2: He rode Wade and Shaq's coattails to a title, he couldn't do it when he was the centerpiece of a team.

Yes, I bet he had to work extra hard to lead Jordan/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq to the title.

On the pro level great coaches are made by great players more often than vice versa.

Course, I do believe Jackson is a good coach, but he's been set up to succeed.

Talent alone does not win, Shaq has just one title w/o Phil, Kobe has zero. Jordan didn't win w/o Phil, Pippen never won w/o Phil. It boggles my mind how underrated Phil Jackson is, how come red Auerbach isn't viewed like that? He had immense talent every year but for some reason jackson gets underrated.

Bet you wish Patrick Ewing could have rode someone's coattails to a championship, Mr. Closet Knicks fan.

I am not a Knick fan, If I was I'd admit it.

Sorry, but a ridiculous statement, Mourning was a huge part of their success and means more to the Heat than Shaquille ever will. He most certainly didn't play like a back-up and you would have known this if you watched them play the year they won their title.

Mourning could never win when he was the focal point, he was never a big game player whether in College or the NBA and w/o Shaq the Heat don't have that title. W/o Mourning they still win it.

One of toughest, hardest working players ever. That was a team title. And he was a huge part of it.

He worked hard to setak money from the Nets and Raptors then got to hop on Shaw and wades back. That team won most b/c the officials treated Wade better than they ever treated Jordan in the finals. Mourning was a bit player, they would have won w/ or w/o him.

I get it.....Nets fan still pissed off at Mourning.

If you really think he was such a minor part of that championship run go back to the Dallas and Chicago series and watch some games. For both those series, he was the best post player on the court.

I get it.....Nets fan still pissed off at Mourning.

If you really think he was such a minor part of that championship run go back to the Dallas and Chicago series and watch some games. For both those series, he was the best post player on the court.

I'm not still pissed at Mourning, I have always felt he was an overrated player going back to Georgetown when he couldn't win there and nearly lost to a 16 seed in rd 1. Miami would have won the title in '06 w/ or w/o him, he was a bit player. he may have had a couple of good moments but he wasn't someone they relied on.

I'm not still pissed at Mourning, I have always felt he was an overrated player going back to Georgetown when he couldn't win there and nearly lost to a 16 seed in rd 1. Miami would have won the title in '06 w/ or w/o him, he was a bit player. he may have had a couple of good moments but he wasn't someone they relied on.

Shaq missed 23 games that season, but you're right, Micheal Doleac would have done just as good a job. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaq missed 18 games that season, but you're right, Micheal Doleac would have done just as good a job. :rolleyes:

He actually missed 23 games and Miami was either 10-13 or 11-12 w/o him and he didn't miss any playoff games. W/ Shaq Miami was either 42-17 or 41-18. Nah, he didn't make much of a difference:lol: The great Alonzo filled in just fine:lol:

He actually missed 23 games and Miami was either 10-13 or 11-12 w/o him and he didn't miss any playoff games. W/ Shaq Miami was either 42-17 or 41-18. Nah, he didn't make much of a difference:lol: The great Alonzo filled in just fine:lol:

I edited my post at 2:31 and you posted this at 2:49. Did it really take you 18 minutes to come up with such a stupid post?

I edited my post at 2:31 and you posted this at 2:49. Did it really take you 18 minutes to come up with such a stupid post?

Why is it a stupid post? b/c it shows facts about how good Miami was w/o Shaq? Considering how great Alonzo was why did they struggle w/o Shaq and why couldn't Zo even get to a Finals w/o Shaq and wade?

Back
Top Bottom