Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach

I will let this season decide his fate on my opinion.

I'm pro-Philbin. Have been from early on. I think he'll continue to lead us in the right direction. Hopefully being teamed up with Hickey helps in that regard. However, this season is very important for Philbin and also Tanne on a side note. I'm confident at the end of this season the majority around here will be sold that we have our HC/QB of the future.

I know we have seen flashes. RT looks to be our guy. We had the most sacks and still were 1 game from the playoffs. I want to see this team getting better,stronger and more united. PLAYOFSS OR BUST.

Based on the information we have nobody can say one way or the other and anybody that says they can is full of ****.

What we do know is Ireland was terrible. What effect does a terrible GM have on a teams record? Who knows.

We also know Tannehill has been average at best his first 2 seasons, which is probably fair for a raw, rookie QB. Can you be expected to make the playoffs with an average QB? Who knows.

But to the question can you be expected to make the playoffs with an average QB combined with a **** GM -- to that I would say it would take a great head coaching effort to overcome those factors.

Neither good nor bad right now. He has had his problems, but he has also had some very bright moments. All the bullygate stuff is garbage in my opinion and is a joke to even use it against him as a reason to oust him. While the season results haven't been what we wanted his first two seasons, he earned and deserves a third year on the job.

Last year's team should have made the playoffs. I am disappointed with how the final two games went and he and his staff deserve blame for that. But so do the players. At the same time, he handled the post-bullygate distraction very well and kept the team in the hunt. A lot of teams probably would have collapsed under that pressure, but he kept things together to the very end of the season. Still though, the end result wasn't good enough.

The behind the scenes war between him and Ireland also played a role in the outcome of last season. Which is why I am more hopeful this season since Philbin and Hickey appear to be on the same page.

I think Philbin can be a good head coach, maybe even a very good head coach. He is in the middle of the pack right now in the league but if he keeps developing Tannehill, this team can make strides this upcoming season. Philbin is a very smart man and is very loyal to his staff. His loyalty hurt him in regards to Sherman, but it makes him well respected amongst his fellow peers and his players.

Philbin needs to win now though and I think he is capable of it. Big season for him.

Neither good nor bad right now. He has had his problems, but he has also had some very bright moments. All the bullygate stuff is garbage in my opinion and is a joke to even use it against him as a reason to oust him. While the season results haven't been what we wanted his first two seasons, he earned and deserves a third year on the job.

Last year's team should have made the playoffs. I am disappointed with how the final two games went and he and his staff deserve blame for that. But so do the players. At the same time, he handled the post-bullygate distraction very well and kept the team in the hunt. A lot of teams probably would have collapsed under that pressure, but he kept things together to the very end of the season. Still though, the end result wasn't good enough.

The behind the scenes war between him and Ireland also played a role in the outcome of last season. Which is why I am more hopeful this season since Philbin and Hickey appear to be on the same page.

I think Philbin can be a good head coach, maybe even a very good head coach. He is in the middle of the pack right now in the league but if he keeps developing Tannehill, this team can make strides this upcoming season. Philbin is a very smart man and is very loyal to his staff. His loyalty hurt him in regards to Sherman, but it makes him well respected amongst his fellow peers and his players.

Philbin needs to win now though and I think he is capable of it. Big season for him.

I agree...I also see him as a middle of the pack coach right now. This will be a big season for him where he demonstrates if he's going to be a good coach, or remain in the middle of the pack. I, as a dolphin's fan, wish him well.

The way the team played in those final two games is unacceptable. The playoffs were served up to Philbin on a platter only to watch his team quit on him on the field.

I agree...I also see him as a middle of the pack coach right now. This will be a big season for him where he demonstrates if he's going to be a good coach, or remain in the middle of the pack. I, as a dolphin's fan, wish him well.

I'm pretty sure whether Philbin is considered good or average will correlate directly with Tannehill's performance in the coming years. If Tannehill can get to a 90+ passer rating on the season we'll be a perennial playoff team. If Tannehill stays in the low 80's Philbin will be considered a failure. But I suppose thats true for 90% of coaches in the league.

Based on the information we have nobody can say one way or the other and anybody that says they can is full of ****.

What we do know is Ireland was terrible.

No one can know how they feel about Philbin after two years as our HC, and if they think they do know how they feel about him they are full of **** ?? REALLY ?? But you know how you feel about Ireland?? LOL wow!! No control issues with you :rolleyes2:

As for Philbin I feel like a lot of the others, this will be the final deciding year. I have to say there is a lot more to dislike than to like at this point. To come out after the bye week and lay an egg vs a division rival at home is completely unacceptable. Finishing off the season with two straight "win and your in" games and lose them both while looking unprepared is not something that gives me confidence that we have the right guy.

I will let this year be the deciding factor but I have to admit he is paddling up stream. He has to show he can hold the team together a lot better than he did last year. The dolphins had the talent last year to be in the playoffs and we missed out. We had a locker room meltdown and some how the coach gets a pass on both. I'm not sure we got rid of all the problems, but I will support him for one more year. If we miss the playoffs this year, I want him OUT, no excuses!!!

No one can know how they feel about Philbin after two years as our HC, and if they think they do know how they feel about him they are full of **** ?? REALLY ?? But you know how you feel about Ireland?? LOL wow!! No control issues with you :rolleyes2:
!

You think the jury is still out on Ireland?

You think the jury is still out on Ireland?

Nope, nor did it take me 2+ years to make my opinion. He is/was one of the worst drafting GMs around but understood the cap, and was one of the better GMs at negotiations. I didn't hate him, nor did I hate to see him go, but I can't yet say what we now have is any better. I can't see how Hickey could be any worse at drafting if he tried, but the free agents we have signed have not impressed me. Our most pressing need of the offseason was 3 OL and 1 or 2 LBs. We have signed 1 starting OL and no LBs. Shelly is a backup at best and I would have much rather had Monroe than Albert, but I will support Hickey until we have a little more to go on.

Personally I felt that Philbin had more to do with the failures of last season than Ireland. We had plenty of talent to make a playoff run and seemed unprepared in the biggest games of the season. That is on the coach not the GM. I will be the first to say the talent was not great, and we could use an upgrade at the GM position, but I don't see how Philbin skated on the locker room meltdown, nor the last season crash and burn. But I also see that the best teams are the ones that don't change things around every season so I have no probelm with keeping Philbin, but only for one more year. He has to show more than he has so far or he has to go.

He did a good job keeping his players focused during the Incognito-Martin shindig, but just doesn't know how to get extra out of his players. He reminds me of a manager, not a coach.

Back
Top Bottom