Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach

He may be a good coach, but he is not a great coach. Last season, after the Martin/Incognito fiasco, a great coach gets his team focused on the task at hand and gets them to avoid distration. What do we do? Come out and lay an egg against Tampa Bay. Their third string RB killed us. How many times have you seen us come out in the second half and outplay our opponents-not much. Usually it's the opposite; no halftime adjustment skills. The last two games were the dagger in the heart for me. You only have to win one game against two crappy opponents. We didn't just lose, we looked horrible doing it. That was it for me and I personally thought there should have been a clean house this offseason. Maybe he will improve; I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm still not sure....those last two games hurt his "good coach" ranking, but the fact he won 8 games with the talent (or lack there of) he has also means something....I'm glad he is getting another season....I'm on the....if Tannehill improves, so will Philbin....

I'm still not sure....those last two games hurt his "good coach" ranking, but the fact he won 8 games with the talent (or lack there of) he has also means something....I'm glad he is getting another season....I'm on the....if Tannehill improves, so will Philbin....

But if Tannehill becomes a great QB, it doesn't mean Philbin is any better of a coach. Any great QB can make a coach look good. Who wouldn't want to be Peyton Manning's offensive co-ordinator? Just get out of the way and wait for head coaching interviews to come.

But if Tannehill becomes a great QB, it doesn't mean Philbin is any better of a coach. Any great QB can make a coach look good. Who wouldn't want to be Peyton Manning's offensive co-ordinator? Just get out of the way and wait for head coaching interviews to come.

That's 90% of the coaches in the NFL....they live and die by their QB play....

You understand that's pretty much how the world works, right?

We are bout to find out. He could hand pick his new OC, he got his coveted LT, and was more active in free agent signings. Philbin's success or failure this year will be tied to decisions he made directly.

Yes, I know great coaches look better with better QB play, but that still doesn't mean they ARE better coaches. We know Belichek is a good coach, because when he lost Brady, he used Cassel to get to a 11-5 record. Having Brady makes him look even better, but we can see how good he is without a great QB. A great QB makes you LOOK better, but it doesn't mean you are better.

He may be a good coach, but he is not a great coach. Last season, after the Martin/Incognito fiasco, a great coach gets his team focused on the task at hand and gets them to avoid distration. What do we do? Come out and lay an egg against Tampa Bay. Their third string RB killed us. How many times have you seen us come out in the second half and outplay our opponents-not much. Usually it's the opposite; no halftime adjustment skills. The last two games were the dagger in the heart for me. You only have to win one game against two crappy opponents. We didn't just lose, we looked horrible doing it. That was it for me and I personally thought there should have been a clean house this offseason. Maybe he will improve; I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Same here. Philbin's team had a bad habit of being unprepared at the start of games; it normally took until mid second quarter before they got anything going on offense. Then, they'd move the ball and score only to disappear again for the next few possessions. Yes, poor o-line play was also to blame, but the terrible playcalling and not playing to the players' strengths was ultimately Philbin's fault. Miami failed to make the playoffs because Philbin's offense had the uncanny ability to NOT score points! How many drives were stalled because they couldn't make a 3rd and short (sometimes with two tries)? A big, powerful FB would have made a huge difference, but Philbin said that his offense doesn't want/need a FB. Even Sherman stated in an interview that when the running game was effective and he wanted to continue running Philbin said no.

Philbin is not Head Coach material. The fact that he's never been "the guy" anywhere at any level in his career says a lot about him.

He is the coach pure and simple. I support him, until he isn't.

Nope, nor did it take me 2+ years to make my opinion. He is/was one of the worst drafting GMs around but understood the cap, and was one of the better GMs at negotiations. I didn't hate him, nor did I hate to see him go, but I can't yet say what we now have is any better. I can't see how Hickey could be any worse at drafting if he tried, but the free agents we have signed have not impressed me. Our most pressing need of the offseason was 3 OL and 1 or 2 LBs. We have signed 1 starting OL and no LBs. Shelly is a backup at best and I would have much rather had Monroe than Albert, but I will support Hickey until we have a little more to go on.

Personally I felt that Philbin had more to do with the failures of last season than Ireland. We had plenty of talent to make a playoff run and seemed unprepared in the biggest games of the season. That is on the coach not the GM. I will be the first to say the talent was not great, and we could use an upgrade at the GM position, but I don't see how Philbin skated on the locker room meltdown, nor the last season crash and burn. But I also see that the best teams are the ones that don't change things around every season so I have no probelm with keeping Philbin, but only for one more year. He has to show more than he has so far or he has to go.

My point still stands. If somebody says they can tell if the GM is good or bad days after his first draft then they are full of ****. In this one post you say you knew Ireland was garbage from day one but you also think gave us enough talent? If a GM gives us enough talent to be successful then he's a good GM. Don't be offended, its an internet forum where I'm sure at least half the posters are full of **** anyway. I mean we had one "QB expert" proclaiming Tannehill was on the cusp on being the next great one then mere months later saying we should cut our losses with him...

I agree with this. The last two games were inexcusable and baffling. I want to support the coach but that is really difficult to overlook.

I agree with this. The last two games were inexcusable and baffling. I want to support the coach but that is really difficult to overlook.

Ryan Tannehill played two of his three worst performances of his career those last 2 games. And if you have a QB that needs to be "coached up" for big games then you don't have a QB.

I cut Tannehill some slack because I believe the injury he suffered at the Bills was much worse than most realize but Philbin also deserves some slack because coaches rarely win when they get a sub 50 passer rating performance from their QB (I believe its less than 5% but I can't find the stat right now).

I love how some people blamed Sherman for the majority of the offensive failures, along with the oline, but now that he's gone, the finger pointing is on philbin. At this point, he's neither good nor bad. He's average.

I love how some people blamed Sherman for the majority of the offensive failures, along with the oline, but now that he's gone, the finger pointing is on philbin. At this point, he's neither good nor bad. He's average.

Yup. And you'll notice that every single personnel move being discussed right now is all Hickey, Hickey, Hickey. Philbin's name is never mentioned when discussing personnel moves in the spring. But by the end of the season it'll be all Philbin brought this guy in, Philbin was the one that got rid of that guy...

Back
Top Bottom