Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach

My point still stands. If somebody says they can tell if the GM is good or bad days after his first draft then they are full of ****. In this one post you say you knew Ireland was garbage from day one but you also think gave us enough talent? If a GM gives us enough talent to be successful then he's a good GM. Don't be offended, its an internet forum where I'm sure at least half the posters are full of **** anyway. I mean we had one "QB expert" proclaiming Tannehill was on the cusp on being the next great one then mere months later saying we should cut our losses with him...

Not trying/wanting to get in a back and forth with ya here but let me try this one more time. You stated "anyone who knows how they feel about PHILBIN is full of ****", although we have had 2 full years to decide. That was MY orignal point, we as other posters have the right to feel about someone the way we want. Heck there were those, myself included, already making judgements on Philbin during his first training camp when the HBO show was going on. Maybe I should have sent you a PM instead of making the point on an open thread, but I felt it was a bit intrusive and offensive to have someone tell me how long I have to wait to form an opinion. We have watched Philbin for 2 years, we should be able to know if we like him by now or not, and if not by now then when are we allowed to know if we like him? No big deal, but I thought it was worth bringing to your attention.

I also never said Ireland was "garbage" at any point, and NEVER said I knew ANYTHING about him from day one. I did state that he was terrible at drafting players, and I think his record makes that clear. However for the record if I had been Ross I would have canned both Ireland and Philbin. If I thought I had to chose between firing Ireland OR Philbin, it would have been Philbin that I fired.

You also say "if a GM gives us enough talent to be successful then he is a good GM". That I agree with but only if you also add the obvious. Having the talent to be successful and BEING successful are two different animals and that is where coaching comes in. Last year we had plenty of talent to be successful, but were not. To me that screams failure on the coaching staff, not the GM.

Yup. And you'll notice that every single personnel move being discussed right now is all Hickey, Hickey, Hickey. Philbin's name is never mentioned when discussing personnel moves in the spring. But by the end of the season it'll be all Philbin brought this guy in, Philbin was the one that got rid of that guy...

Ahh, great point. This happens much too often here. Everyone attaches a player they like to their coach/GM, but if he fails then he was "really" brought in by the person they don't like. Those who hated Ireland did this weekly. If a player had a good game he was Ross's guy or Philbin's guy, but if he had a bad game then Ireland brought him in and should be fired for it.

I have dubbed this the "No Excuses" year.

Every single excuse should be or has been stripped away from this current front office and staff. I don't care if Hickey is in year one there are no excuses. It is playoffs or the tidy bowl. There is no more middle ground with me on this issue.

The problem is this year the coaching staff will have no excuses, while our GM will be given a pass.

Not trying/wanting to get in a back and forth with ya here but let me try this one more time. You stated "anyone who knows how they feel about PHILBIN is full of ****", although we have had 2 full years to decide. That was MY orignal point, we as other posters have the right to feel about someone the way we want. Heck there were those, myself included, already making judgements on Philbin during his first training camp when the HBO show was going on.

Everybody has the right to feel however they want but I don't respect the opinion that Philbin will be a terrible coach based on a first impression from a reality show edit. Just like I don't respect the opinion of people that give an A++ grade to a draft just days after it happened. Ireland had many of "the greatest drafts ever" in May only to have some of those same people say it was the worst draft in franchise history 10 months later.

That's 90% of the coaches in the NFL....they live and die by their QB play....

Yeah, and on this subject, who is the qb coach in denver? He was damn sure the 10% that got the most outta tebow. So not to kill your argument, but it definately falls more on the coach imo. Even the great qb's need to be told when their doing something wrong

Not liking this season's setup. We're supposed to give Philbin a do-or-die sentence, yet:
He's working with a first-time GM
He just hired a new OC, a first-time NFL OC
This is his QB's first year operating from a new OC in his football career.
His O-Line, essentially the worst line in the NFL last year, will be featuring many new players that need to develop chemistry, building from scratch.

I would say "Playoffs or Bust" is honestly a little too harsh. Who knows what else could happen: injuries, bad luck, or outside factors with the playoff spots could prevent us from getting in.
What I would instead make my judgement on is:
- Evaluate the "hunger" of the team coming off of BYE weeks and down the playoff stretch, since these were always moments of weakness.
- Gauge how much better Tannehill becomes due to Lazor's coaching and offense, including connecting with Wallace.
- Gauge the development of the O-Line. I think it will be bumpy at first, but hopefully not for long.
- See how quickly he makes transitions and corrections when players/schemes are not executing from week to week.
- Take note of the locker room and Philbin's presence in it, including how much he coaxes players to step up and take more leadership roles.
- Zero scandals or distractions that could be prevented. (Normally this is a given, lol)

Not liking this season's setup. We're supposed to give Philbin a do-or-die sentence, yet:
His O-Line, essentially the worst line in the NFL last year, will be featuring many new players that need to develop chemistry, building from scratch.

I would say "Playoffs or Bust" is honestly a little too harsh. Who knows what else could happen: injuries, bad luck, or outside factors with the playoff spots could prevent us from getting in.
- Evaluate the "hunger" of the team coming off of BYE weeks and down the playoff stretch, since these were always moments of weakness.
- Gauge how much better Tannehill becomes due to Lazor's coaching and offense, including connecting with Wallace.
- Gauge the development of the O-Line. I think it will be bumpy at first, but hopefully not for long.
- See how quickly he makes transitions and corrections when players/schemes are not executing from week to week.
- Take note of the locker room and Philbin's presence in it, including how much he coaxes players to step up and take more leadership roles.
- Zero scandals or distractions that could be prevented. (Normally this is a given, lol)

Lucky for you and me I don't think it's playoffs or bust, I believe if we're in contention week 17 again Philbin and Hickey will be safe.

He is an average coach which is worst than being good or bad. Keeps us in the middle leading us to mediocrity and crappy draft picks

The author had to do an awful lot of work to try to make Philbin look good. So far, I'm both unimpressed and underwhelmed by Philbin (and that's coming from someone that wanted him). He has another year to convince us but I'm not especially hopeful (seen this movie too many times before). I'd very much like to be wrong about him but he's missing by a long shot for me so far.

This is the NFL, every year you are gonna change one of the above. OCs, DCs, GMs new QB coaches new OL they are all moving parts and rarely all stay the same. That will not be considered and excuse for missing the playoffs. If we are 9-7 or worse I am pretty sure we will be getting a new coach next year, and that will be fine with me.

He has to get this team to succeed. We have been mediocre for far to long. If Miami fails to make to post season again, the FO will be hard pressed to keep Joe. If he was like a fg away from making it i would think they keep him. If we have a **** storm like last year then he is gone. I just want to see the stupid, bone head things that cost us wins to be fixed. As well as the oline.
He needs to learn from his mistakes and get better every game. So far its nothing to write home about.

Philbin reminds me of an architect not a builder/contractor.

Could go either way! I do agree, this is a pivotal season for Philbin. I'm hoping he is successful, but if not, I'm ready to move on.

Back
Top Bottom