Philbin not a fan of Jennings?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 13Dolfan87, Feb 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. 13Dolfan87

13Dolfan87 Scout Team Donator

Saw Peter King retweet this just a few minutes ago. Never heard this before. Interesting...

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn Things can always change, but I've been told that #Dolphins' Joe Philbin isn't a huge fan of Greg Jennings as a player. Needs a WR but ...

McGinn covers the Packers

2. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

I would find this strange. Jennings was always a productive player for Joe.

Anything is possible I suppose

3. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Interesting I must say.

4. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Well he knows the player best, if he doesn't want him he doesn't want him...............remember Flynn.

5. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I can't believe any of these speculations, good or bad, at this time. It's all about mis-direction and hopefully not driving up the demand and thus the cost of these players. If this has any truth, it is my speculation that it could be age related, since he would not be a long term answer.

6. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

yeah its about misdirection right now but why would a packers writer say it...I could understand if one of our writers said it (hey leak this story)...

7. Njphinsfan

Njphinsfan Well-Known Member

Don't believe this at all. Jennings played for Philbin for a few years. He said during mulyiple interviews that he would love to be reunited with Philbin. I would have to think if Philbin was not high on Jennings, he would have sensed that. How can you not like the guy as a WR? Something doesn't make sense there.

8. traptses

traptses Starter

Philbin doesn't believe in his smelf

9. circumstances

circumstances Starter

i think this was the guy who reported that "unnamed scouts" said RG3 was all hype last year, and that Bjoern Werner wasn't a special player this year. who knows what his angle is?

10. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Joe must have heard his asking price :lol:

11. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Jennings wants to be united with Steve Ross's checkbook.

12. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

If this is true, Mike Wallace is the only real "splash" type player available in free agency at the WR position. Sounding more and more like the WR position will be addressed in the draft, not free agency.

13. russianbear

russianbear A True Fan

First impression is that this doesn't sound like something a Packer's writer would pull out of thin air. Could be a reach, or over-interpretation, but has to have some sort of causation...

14. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I just read an interesting article by Bob McGinn outlining the Packers draft. It was one of the most interesting and down right honest articles I've ever read concerning the draft. He has a lot of quotes from GM's and Scouts from around the league in his evaluations of all the players covered in the article. He NEVER said Werner, "Wasn't Special", it was a quote from someone in the League who covers the draft. As far as Jennings goes, it's quite possible Philbin isn't as high on Jennings as some of us would like to believe. Case in point, all the talk of Matt Flynn, coming to the Dolphins last off season. We shall see very soon.

15. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Regardless where this "report" came out of, it is highly suspicious that it is reported right now before FA. There's always a reason these types of things magically appear this time of year. I put zero stock in it. Doesn't mean Philbin does or does not want Jennings here or not, just that I doubt he'd share his interest with anyone that would leak it to the press.

16. Vinpaulino44

Vinpaulino44 Defensive Cordinator

In all honesty Randall Cobb had just as good of a year or better than Jennings would have had if he was heathy...Aaron Rogers makes that WR core look great...Philbin knows this

17. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

don't totally buy it. I could see Philbin and Ireland not wanting to give big bucks whose missed significant time the last 2 seasons and has only played 16 games 3 times in his career. But that's it

18. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

The people involved know if they are fans of each other, so it would serve little purpose to state an untruth. It would have little impact on financial talks so to speak.

19. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Going to be a beautiful thing watching Tannehill throw to another awful WR corps. One without Brian Hartline and a bunch of unproven rookies? Goodbye Ireland.

Joe Philbin better pray we promote Gaines or sign another GB reject. It won't be long....

20. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Philbin wants to build through the draft...its that simple.

21. uk_dolfan

You could be very cynical and say its all part of a complicated way to try and push down the market for Jennings. Leak info the Dolphons supposedly want Wallace, further leak (through a friend in the Packers media) that a longterm coach of Jennings who needs a WR doesnt rate him... then the second free agency opens go hard for Jennings.

I do think our supposed interest in Wallace is a bit if a smokescreen. Hopefully for Jennings.

22. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

Mike Wallace isn't a "splash" HE IS A BLACK HOLE. If he becomes a Dolphin for his 12-14 mil a year he will drag this team to hell.

23. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

We have what 9 picks? We're building through the draft regardless of what is done through FA. Considering we have a ton of cap room and have to use a majority of it, Miami won't be quiet in FA.

Bowe, Austin, Jennings, Welker, Wallace, Miami will land one of them. No doubt in my mind.

24. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

How much is Stephen Ross playing a role in this, I think Ross really pushed for Tannehill, I think Ross wants Wallace more than Philbin and Ireland. Ross should just let the football guys do their thing. Im just speculating

25. uk_dolfan

Nah, the beat reporters etc. have never found a sniff of evidance of Ross interfering. He really does seem to leave Ireland etc to it.

26. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

It must be all Ross, why would Ireland and Philbin won't an explosive playmaker who's only 26 years of age. It just doesn't make sense.

/sarcasm

27. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Naw we would be better off getting lineman & T/E in F/A, and get our W/r in the draft.............

28. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

When was the last time we drafted a WR and he made an immediate impact? I think it's time to resign Camarillo.

29. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I'm sure Philbin hated all 53 tds Jennings scored at Green Bay
    and I'm sure he hated the 3-1000+ yards receiving seasons as well as the 2-900+ yards receiving seasons

30. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

yesterday the packers were considering tagging Jennings to try & force a team to trade for him. now today Philbin is not a fan of one of the most productive recievers he has ever coached? .... not a coincidence people. this is clearly gamesmanship

31. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody has anything bad to say about Jenning's PAST accomplishments.
    The only concern is RIGHT NOW, and MOVING FORWARD.
    He has durability issues now, how many complete seasons has he played, will he even be able to play a whole year? His price tag will be astronomically more than his worth, Going Forward, imho.

32. bassjk13

bassjk13 Scout Team

The "noise" around Wallace makes a bit more sense now

33. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

SMOKE SCREEN.... **** jake, Wallace, Jennings and Swope!!!

34. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

OMG! He is a Packers reporter. seriously?

Stop the tweet crap already. Tweets are gonna kill the NFL. F'n reporters and Agents. Aholes.

35. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Smokescreen talk

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I never buy this smokescreen stuff although of course u dont want everyone to know your interested. i cant think of one successful smokescreen that we has dolphins have had recently

37. BigNugg

BigNugg Active Member

this

38. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

This just doesn't make sense. Yeah Jennings isn't explosive but he's a top WR when healthy and a class act. Hes not super explosive or dominate like Calvin Johnson but he's a solid WR like an Issac Bruce and he was so productive with Philbin. I think its's more Stephen Ross thats not a big fan of Jennings, gotta be.

39. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Only on Finheaven is the word smokescreen and "poker" used so often. Yes, guys we're trying to trick the league! Hey, 7-9 the past 4 seasons was actually a smokescreen too by Ireland, we're actually Super Bowl champions but we just wanted to give the rest of the league a chance at a trophy.

No there are no smokescreens, but speculation built from reporters. If Philbin does not want Jennings, it's because of what he saw in the locker room and on the practice field from that guy. We already know how he feels about diva receivers - first Marshall and then Chad. Hell, if he wasn't in Miami he'd still be the coordinator of the Packers and would be watching Jennings leave to another team and he would have no problem with it because he has Aaron Rodgers still.

I still think despite Rodgers, Jennings when healthy is very good though but he nor Wallace nor Bowe are the offense changing players people on this site think they are. They're not anywhere near Marshall's level and we were 7-9 with Marshall. Just the addition of either of those 3 players won't make us better than last year. Especially if we're losing Bush, we'll just be subtracting one playmaker and adding another.

We need this offseason to have a balance of playmakers at tight end, receivers, and running back (really confused why we're not bringing back Bush). And it has to fit a budget, can't be just spending 14 million per season on a guy that barely gets 1k yards in a full season. It has to be a reasonable price and the production must match the price.

40. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

This makes the most sense to me as well. Unless, as has been stated, it is misdirection.