Philbin vs Sparano? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin vs Sparano?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Her's a thread I put up on VIP, with reasonable replies I do not expect here. However, I'm willing to take the hits to give posters something to post about in these VERY BORING times. Take your best shots. lol

Sparano took a 1-15 team to 11-5, winning the division, and our first playoff in 7 years, tied fr the biggest turnaround in the NFL, with Penny having a great year. Then, it was two 7-9 seasons with Henne, before the Harbaugh mess, 4-9 before being fired.

He had an antique as an OC, and a VG DC, did not get along with Ireland, and had limited talent.

Philbin came in and went 7-9 and 8-8 with Tannehill, an antique at OC, and a good DC. He also did not get along with Ireland, and had his own mess with Bully Gate.

Has either one proven to be better than the other so far?

Yes.

When Philbin gets good QB play his win% is as high as any of the best coaches in the league. When Sparano got good QB play his win% was as low as the worst head coaches in the league. /thread

Yes.

When Philbin gets good QB play his win% is as high as any of the best coaches in the league. When Sparano got good QB play his win% was as low as the worst head coaches in the league. /thread

Never knew that. Where did it come from?

Short answer is NO. I'm not a Philbin fan and felt he should've been swept out with everybody else, but he has this year to prove to me (and any other doubters of his) that he has what it takes to be a successful head coach. Hopefully he is up to the challenge otherwise he's just another in a long line of bad hires.

Short answer is NO. I'm not a Philbin fan and felt he should've been swept out with everybody else, but he has this year to prove to me (and any other doubters of his) that he has what it takes to be a successful head coach. Hopefully he is up to the challenge otherwise he's just another in a long line of bad hires.

So far, I don't see much of a difference between the two, which can change this year. However, I think I would have preferred Sparano to instill some fire in the team the last two games of last year. We had none.

Yes.

Unless you provide us with some data to back this up, I am calling shenanigans. The ONLY year he had consistent QB play was 2008, the year the Dolphins won the division. His 2nd season here Pennington got off to a rough start as his weak arm caught up to him, then he was injured in Week 5 or so and Henne came in. Henne played OK, but outside of the Jets MNF game, he never had what anyone could call a great performance. Henne was either average, or bad.

Tannehill, thus far, has been leaps and bounds better than Henne at any point in his career and much more consistent. If Sparano had Tannehill all those years, with a balanced running attack, I think Sparano very well may have guided the Dolphins to the playoffs again.

In the clear afterlight reflected through the rear view mirror, it was less Sparano and more Noodle Arm who was responsible for the epic turnaround. I've also long been suspicious that in that 08 season, Sparano was coaching with Parcells through a transmitter in his ear cuz by year 2, he looked totally lost out there during game day. Beyond that, the ST and DC coaches would have been coaching through his tenure if not for 2 public humiliations of their squads and the team on the nationally televised stage. And then there's faulting his offense for not executing Henning's plays which were so predictable the opposing defenses were laughing that they could predict 3 out of every 4. And if he was such an outstanding coach that one year, why didn't he do a better job countering the Ravens 8 in the box defenses against his QB with proven limitations vs Top 10 scoring Ds.

Beyond that, Sparano's arrow was down in 09/10 and further in 11 while Philbin has improved one game each year despite a raw rookie QB, a porous OL, a schizoid running game that can't block for crap either and the preseason and in season injuries of two vital receivers who demonstrated chemistry with the QB.

IMO, Philbin gets the nod... it ain't even a horse race.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, I don't see much of a difference between the two, which can change this year. However, I think I would have preferred Sparano to instill some fire in the team the last two games of last year. We had none.

Yeah, the way the team finished in particular left a very bad taste in my mouth

Never knew that. Where did it come from?

Its a project I'm working on.

Sparano won 64% of games when his QB had a passer rating of 88+. Compare that with a few coaches I consider bad like: Norv Turner won at 72%, Jason Garrett wins at 59%, and Mike Shanahan with the redskins 63%. For good coaches Belichick is at 87% (over the past 5 season, much higher all time), Jim Harbaugh in the 90's, Sean Payton is 90% (but Brees only won 7 of 10 the year Payton was suspended). And Joe Philbin wins at 93% when his QBs have a PR of 88 or higher.

To show how good Belichick was when Brady had a PR of 88+ they won 59 of 60 their first 7 seasons together, they've fallen off a bit since then but still win at a very high percentage.

Unless you provide us with some data to back this up, I am calling shenanigans. The ONLY year he had consistent QB play was 2008, the year the Dolphins won the division. His 2nd season here Pennington got off to a rough start as his weak arm caught up to him, then he was injured in Week 5 or so and Henne came in. Henne played OK, but outside of the Jets MNF game, he never had what anyone could call a great performance. Henne was either average, or bad.

Tannehill, thus far, has been leaps and bounds better than Henne at any point in his career and much more consistent. If Sparano had Tannehill all those years, with a balanced running attack, I think Sparano very well may have guided the Dolphins to the playoffs again.

Philbin only lost one game when Tannehill played well enough to win, he's 13 and 1 when his QBs play well (PR 88+) so I'm not sure where the great Tony Sparano would have done so much more with Tannehill. Unless you think Sparano's QB development is leaps and bounds better than Philbin, but I think Henne, buttfumble, Tebow and a few Oakland QBs would disagree with you. Most of Sparano's developed QBs end up on the street by the time he's done with them...

All I can say with certainty is that Sparano made a lot of stupid decisions on the field. Philbin's on the field decisions have been much better so far.

Whata great thread idea....cant wait for the Sherman vs Henning thread...

:tubes:

Its a project I'm working on.

Sparano won 64% of games when his QB had a passer rating of 88+. Compare that with a few coaches I consider bad like: Norv Turner won at 72%, Jason Garrett wins at 59%, and Mike Shanahan with the redskins 63%. For good coaches Belichick is at 87% (over the past 5 season, much higher all time), Jim Harbaugh in the 90's, Sean Payton is 90% (but Brees only won 7 of 10 the year Payton was suspended). And Joe Philbin wins at 93% when his QBs have a PR of 88 or higher.

Very interesting.....can't wait to see the finished results

I think Philbin is a high-potential coach that under-performed and made a poor effort getting his guys riled up and hungry. His blind trust in his staff doomed him. He was able to coach well in some tough games against strong opponents, but in trusting his staff no matter what, the team also played down to weaker opponents levels when things went awry.

Conversely, Sparano was a locker-room guy that could keep the guys hungry, but had little going on up top in the thinktank and seemed like he was getting outcoached by the week. His kneejerk personnel changes made it obvious he was clueless.

Long-term thinking, I would take Philbin any day of the week. His plan can be solid if enough pieces fall in place and he starts to be more proactive. He's already started to with the slight fire under his seat, getting rid of Sherman, etc.

Back
Top Bottom