Philbin was right. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin was right.

Crazysimon

Scout Team
Reaction score
Carr looks like the real deal. He was ready to move on from tanne and draft Carr. We should have let him. 4 rds from Carr today.

The only thing he was right about then. Carr is for real. But we really shouldn't accept these hearsay stories as fact. We have no idea what really went on. Considering Sherman was Philbin's pick and they obviously had most of the input in selecting Tannehill it's kind of suspect that he would immediately change his mind on it. And once you've committed a top 10 pick on a QB you vetted and selected it's kind of ridiculous for you to be the one to push for a new one just a couple years later.

I would swap RT for Carr in a heartbeat and throw in a first round pick.

Philbin and co. would've ruined Carr.

Carr much like Tannehill would never have been put in a position to succeed in miami.

As much as I didn't care for Phailbin as our HC, so far I'm also thinking he may have been right on wanting Carr.

I'll take it one step further, why in the hell did we draft Jake Long over Matt Ryan back in 2008?? Matt Ryan played out of his mind today (throwing over 500 yards and 4 TDs). oh well

but yeah Carr looks superb too

I told everyone Derek Carr was the real deal. I'm glad people are finally noticing. BTW, Carr is also an excellent team leader and motivator. One of the best I've seen in years.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The only thing he was right about then. Carr is for real. But we really shouldn't accept these hearsay stories as fact. We have no idea what really went on. Considering Sherman was Philbin's pick and they obviously had most of the input in selecting Tannehill it's kind of suspect that he would immediately change his mind on it. And once you've committed a top 10 pick on a QB you vetted and selected it's kind of ridiculous for you to be the one to push for a new one just a couple years later.

I don't see why it's a ridiculous notion, many of us on this board wanted to take a QB in the first round of that draft. We were right then and we're still right now.

I'll take it one step further, why in the hell did we draft Jake Long over Matt Ryan back in 2008?? Matt Ryan played out of his mind today (throwing over 500 yards and 4 TDs). oh well

but yeah Carr looks superb too

Kyle Shanahan has really turned that offense around.

Tannehill is every much the QB that Carr is . . .

David, of course

I don't see why it's a ridiculous notion, many of us on this board wanted to take a QB in the first round of that draft. We were right then and we're still right now.

Confirmation & hindsight bias on the internet?

Well, that has never happened before? /s

Carr is having a good year so far. Good young talented team. But this is where being a complete team helps.

Carr absolutely got Oakland the lead with a 6 play 66 yard drive with 3:31 to play in the game. The difference? Oakland's defense sealed the win. Flacco had the ball at his own 21 with 2:07 left. They get to midfield with 1:02 left and 1 TO. He then throws 4 straight incompletions and the game is over. Baltimore just needed 15-20 more yards to get into FG range and you'd assume Tucker makes it.

But Oakland's defense did what they had to do. Even with Carr's 4 TDs, Oakland was 20 yards away from being 2-2. The same thing almost happened in Week 1. Carr throws the go ahead TD with :52 left. The Saints get the ball at their own 23 and in 42 seconds, they drive to Oakland's 43. They missed a 61-yd kick that would've won the game (very difficult).

Oakland's defense came through in those games. Not every QB can say the same thing when he gets the lead late.

Carr much like Tannehill would never have been put in a position to succeed in miami.

I don't think this team, which was a win away from the playoffs in 2013 and would have had a walk to a wildcard in 2014 if they hadn't collapsed against the Ravens, was as bad all around as people dreamed. Even with all the weaknesses, we took good teams to the wire where a sealing play by the QB would have made the difference. We didn't have a guy who could do that, and so we barely missed the playoffs. If our QB could have turned one loss from 2013 into a win, we're talking playoffs. With playoffs, we're talking legitimacy. With legitimacy, we're talking players on the team buying in and believing in what the staff and the players around them are doing, and they are working harder and toeing the line. We're also talking players wanting to come here because we've shown success. We're talking increased confidence, which gives this team the knowledge that they can achieve, which means they will extract themselves from sticky situations in the future. Winning begets winning. But if you get to the brink two years in a row and you bow out meekly, you get a pervading sense of failure, Miko Grimes, Mike Wallace quitting, etc.

How inept did this team look with Chad Henne and how much better did it look with Matt Moore after he got a month of starting under his belt? How historically bad did the 2007 Dolphins look, and what happened in 2008 with a different QB? How bad have the Cowboys looked without QB's named Romo or Dak, and how good do they look with them? The only version of the Philbin Dolphins we ever got to see was the Tannehill version. The pieces for better success might have been there.

Back
Top Bottom