PhinKev's Weekly OL Analysis - Player by Player | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PhinKev's Weekly OL Analysis - Player by Player

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ok. I thought about not doing one this week, as the team was so bad I didn't want to watch. But, I just had to see. So here we go, powered by TIVO.

1st and 10: McDougal Moved Early.

Carey
James
Seth
Hadnot
McDOugal - On the first play? Come On!

1st and 15: Incomplete to Chambers.

McDougal - Got destroyed by the LB around the end.
Hadnot- Picked up the Safety easily.
Seth- Actually a terrific job. Gets a chip on the NT, picks up a blitzing LB and then gets in the way of McDougals guy. Three blocks , one play. GO Seth!!
James - Gets the NT after Seth's chip. OK.
Carey- HAs no one to block.

Notes: What a horrible start by McDougal. Dolphins kept the TE in to block.

2nd and 15: Sweep to the left for Ricky for a loss. THis play was a disaster.

McDOugal - Gets an initial push on his guy but does not sustain the block.
Hadnot- He pulls to the left and doesn't find anyone to block.
Seth- Starts off well, but thanks to the great (sarcastic) camera work we can't tell what happens.
James - Pulls doesn't do much.
Carey- Pulls gets the outside guy.

Notes; Can't understand this play. Calls for McMichael on the end to hold down the point of attack against a big body. He doesn't manage it the play explodes from underneath. Not to metion, our OL is slow and not well suited for this type of play. The pulling OL were late to the point of attack.

3rd and 16: COmplete to Ricky for a short gain. Four man Rush, shotgun set.

McDOugal - He was late to read the DL who looped behind him on a stunt. Missed his zone again. Sigh.
Hadnot- Didn't handle the stunt well either. Hadnot has poor lateral movement.
Seth- Stays in his zone, doesn't block anyone.
James - Stays in his zone handles his guy.
Carey- Does a good job on the end, rides his guy over the QB.

Notes: This is a good play to watch for dos and dont's. Carey and James work together and handle, pass off and do a go job together where McDougal and Hadnot seem to be on different pages.

Drive II

First and 10: Complete to MCMIke and a fumble. NAked bootleg. McMike blocks down and then releases into the flat.

Can't really give you much here because of the poor camera work. Only thing of note here, is Seth misses his block, but it doesn't really matter.

Drive III

1st and 10: Quick pass to Booker. Diamond in at TE with McMichael in a 2 TE set.

Not much to say here. The play happens to quick for anyone to get beat. All the OL are fine.

2 and 5: Pass to Chambers on one step drop.

Not much here to see, but a couple things. HAdnot and Seth drive the NT off the screen. Carey also gets a nice block on the outside.

1st and 10: Ricky for a loss. Off tackle play.
McDOugal - Another Shody effort. Guy gets inside of him.
Hadnot- Pulls to the outside where the play never gets.
Seth- Actually does a decent job stalemating his guy alone.
James - Gets to the second level where we can't see.
Carey- Drives his man back.

Notes: The fullback 40 fails to block the LB forcing the play to the left. McDougals man gets in quick blocking off the left. The LB comes up between them he appears to have beaten James block on the second level. Sucks to be Ricky.

2 and 10. Gus gets sacked.

McMichael: Just gets killed by the LB who sacks Gus.
McDOugal - Does fine on the DE.
Hadnot- Good block on DL, gets help from Seth late.
Seth- He is having a good game. Looks for problems helps Hadnot.
James - Has no one to block.
Carey- Gets pushed back a bit, but stays in front of his guy.

Notes: Rarely is a play one guys fault, but this one is. McMichael by himself got Gus nailed. If he held his block, Gus would have had a lot of time.

3rd and a Cab Ride: Incomplete to Booker. SHotgun set. All kinds of time for Gus who misses Booker. Booker was wide open. This should have been complete.

McMike: Who is in the backfield gets the dafety on a blitz. Not a great blcok, but good enough.
McDOugal - Takes the LB and knocks him to the ground. McDougal is a beast when he wants to be.
Hadnot- Very nic job. Stays in his zone, picks up the LB blitz (dog) nicely.
Seth- Gets the NT, does fine.
James and Carey- Double team the End after a fake blitz by the LB.

Summary:

Not as bad as I first thought. McDougal was horrible to start but got better. He has talent, but he seems to lose focus at bad times. He is, however, one of the more physically gifted guys out there. Really, it is a shame.

Hadnot: Still growing as a player, not helped by having day dreaming McDOugal next to him. Still a powerful blocker who has trouble on lateral and quick moves in the pass rush.

Seth: One of his best games. He is getting more comfortable in the Center position. I didn't see any real mistakes out there. His problem is that he is not the strongest guy and will get pushed and overpowered from time to time.

James: Rarely misses an assignment. He is rounding into form. Only complaint I have about James is movement. A guard needs to drive his man.

Carey: He will be a dominant OL in this league. Maybe better suited for guard or RT where his weakness in space isn't as important, but he is a beast on the run block and a wall once he gets his hands on you in pass protection.

Good job, dude. I TiVO'd the game but didn't break it down into as much detail as you did.

Thanks for doing that... good read!! Maybe it was good then that Saban moved Carey over to RT.... at least from what you said.

great analysis... cheers.

i luv reading all the positives on Carey.

great read, really like these reports every week... lots of time as a play goes when your watching live you really cant see how the individuals on a line do and you might see a sack and just curse at the entire line, haha its nice to see who did what and whos playing well individually instead of as a unit...

i still would like to keep carey at LT, if hes playing well dont mess with it, im hoping the move in practice was more to get in mcdougals head then any actual changes come game time...

mcdougal
hadnot
seth
james
carey

i think should be the starting five set now and let them develop their chemistry... just like a QB and his WRs need time together to play well together, so does the Oline and continuing to shuffle them i think will cause more problems...

arsenal said:
great read, really like these reports every week... lots of time as a play goes when your watching live you really cant see how the individuals on a line do and you might see a sack and just curse at the entire line, haha its nice to see who did what and whos playing well individually instead of as a unit...

i still would like to keep carey at LT, if hes playing well dont mess with it, im hoping the move in practice was more to get in mcdougals head then any actual changes come game time...

mcdougal
hadnot
seth
james
carey

i think should be the starting five set now and let them develop their chemistry... just like a QB and his WRs need time together to play well together, so does the Oline and continuing to shuffle them i think will cause more problems...
We'll see if McDougle can avoid the mental lapses. If he can't he should ride the pines.

shouright said:
We'll see if McDougle can avoid the mental lapses. If he can't he should ride the pines.

definately... but i think this might be a mental thing for mcdougal, hes talented, just gotta get his head in the game, thats coachable (hopefully)... but the chemistry of a line has to develop with staying together as a unit in order to play well (usually i know the SD exception of last year)

thanx finkev, ur da man when i comes to the OL analysis. great job and i hope ur analysis will be more positive next week, i really do hope

Thanks Kev..love those write ups.

Tivo rocks!! If you don't have it, what are you waiting for?!?!?:rawk:

Thanks for doing this every week, I really look forward to the OL break down.

Hey Kev,

Did you see the first two series with Middleton in at Right guard? I watched him closely and he was DOMINANT. I mean he had like three pancakes that I saw and he was driving his man's head into the ground until the whistle.

I love this guy. It sounds like McKinney is actually improving. That's good news. Hadnot has some trouble in pass blocking but is solid when he run blocks. Also glad to hear that Jeno James is coming back to form. That's huge.

one last thing, did you follow the Ephraim kid? I thought he did very well at the center spot in the second half. Granted it's against 2nd teamers, but I like Ephraim's attitude.

I wouldn't mind seeing the following starting unit:

LT - McIntosh
LG - James
C - Ephraim
RG - Middleton
RT - Carey

Back
Top Bottom