Phins Pass Rush- A Closer Look | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phins Pass Rush- A Closer Look

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
For those undecided on where a pass rusher is on our list of needs, here's some info to help decide.

Cam Wake rushed the QB 559 times last year. He had 17 sacks, 23 QB hits, and 47 QB hurries. He did this while all opposing teams completely focused on stopping him, having little regard on any other pass rusher.

Pee Wee Odrick rushed 566 times, with 6 sacks, 10 hits, and 21 hurries. I saw some of those sacks and hits caused by Wake flushing the QB to him. NOT a productive year, and not ever average.

Vernon rushed the QB 289 times, with 3 sacks, 7 hits, and 11 hurries. He was about the same as Odrick in limited play as a rookie still learning, close vs the run, and did well in coverage, also limited.

When you combine the stats of Odrick and Vernon, they look pretty good but, when you look at the number of pass rushes it took, NOT so good.

Starks rushed the QB 488 times, with 4 sacks, 11 hits, and 21 hurries. His play really fell off but, anyone who has lost their Mom could understand him not being focused.

Burnett rushed the QB 115 times, with 2 sacks, 6 hits, and 7 hurries. Not bad for an OLB, who rarely get to the QB.

Now for the very intriguing silent one, in Koa Misi. He rushed the QB 141 times, with 6 sacks, 2 hits, and 6 hurries in only 13 games. To put that in a sack perspective for 4-3 OLB's, Von Miller is in a class by himself with 19 sacks. Denver's Woodyard and Titan's Ayers were second with 7, and then there was Misi with 6. Thing is the other 3 had 300-400 more snaps to get their sacks.

This poses an interesting question for this year. JT was quoted in saying that Misi was going to be a VG pass rusher, and I am not one to ague with him. Depending on how things shake out in this off season, could could a Misi/Vernon combo be an answer at DE. while adding another OLB?

I think we need to continue to draft pass rushers. You can never have too many. What pass rusher have we drafted in the last 5 years? Vernon, maybe, and he is still TBD. In a league that is all about throwing the football, we can't rely on Vernon/Misi getting better. We really should draft a DE with pass rushing skills in the early rounds this year. Our DB's would look a lot better with more consistent pressure on the QB.

Dolphins had 44 sacks last year, #10 in the NFL but, to me, that is somewhat misleading.

We need a true DE with speed and size. Michael Johnson should be our top FA target on defense. He's 6'7" 270 and has been developing into one of the better 4-3 ends in football. We could definitely use his 52 tackles and 12 sacks. Plus he turns 26 in February. I like Odrick but he is to slow against Tackles and playing out of position. He would be more productive at DT full time. I like Starks a lot but we need Playmakers and drafted Odrick to start. I'm hoping Starks will sign for a 2yr 12 million like Soliai did this year but he'll get more on the open market. I Wish him well

Ireland should draft either a DE pass rusher or CB that is a baller in the first round. Turnovers and explosive plays is what is needed. Vernon can continue to rotate in at DE to spell gus until he becomes a feared plaer which he is not at this time.

Koa misi was a nice surprise last year played much better at the 4-3 olb

Agreed. Misi played more like his rookie year than last season. Have to think that if he had 3 more games, in the way he was being used in the second half, that he would have maybe 8 sacks on limited pass rushes. As we all know, he is a Beast vs the run as well.

Ireland should draft either a DE pass rusher or CB that is a baller in the first round. Turnovers and explosive plays is what is needed. Vernon can continue to rotate in at DE to spell gus until he becomes a feared plaer which he is not at this time.

gotta remember though, most non-1st rounders are not expected to be all world as rookies. JT took a couple years to put up 10+ sacks.

I have always thought that we should let Starks walk, sign a pass rusher and move Odrick to DT.

Cam Wake/Paul Solial/Jared Odrick/Michael Johnson
Kevin Burnett Karlos Dansby Koa Misi

Tyrann Mathieu(could be a high reward) Chris Clemons/Rashad Jones Jonathan Banks(1st round)

Odrick is not a speed rushing DE, he is penetrating DT who gained a large percentage of his sacks and hurries while subbing in for Starks on passing downs.

Let Stark walk, move Odrick inside and draft a true DE like Mingo at #12.

THAT would be a scary front four.

Our pass rush just needs to be more consistent, which means we need more players that can consistently win one-on-one matchups (i.e., pass rush TALENT). Either it's on and we get a sack or it's completely off and our secondary gets roasted. I'd much rather have a pass rush that is consistently breathing down the QB's neck and not getting any actual sacks. If it's not consistent it's almost meaningless.

Odrick is not a speed rushing DE, he is penetrating DT who gained a large percentage of his sacks and hurries while subbing in for Starks on passing downs.

Let Stark walk, move Odrick inside and draft a true DE like Mingo at #12.

THAT would be a scary front four.

Gotta do a little research before posting. Odrick took Soliai's place, and his sacks were from DE.

For those undecided on where a pass rusher is on our list of needs, here's some info to help decide.

Cam Wake rushed the QB 559 times last year. He had 17 sacks, 23 QB hits, and 47 QB hurries. He did this while all opposing teams completely focused on stopping him, having little regard on any other pass rusher.

Pee Wee Odrick rushed 566 times, with 6 sacks, 10 hits, and 21 hurries. I saw some of those sacks and hits caused by Wake flushing the QB to him. NOT a productive year, and not ever average.

Vernon rushed the QB 289 times, with 3 sacks, 7 hits, and 11 hurries. He was about the same as Odrick in limited play as a rookie still learning, close vs the run, and did well in coverage, also limited.

When you combine the stats of Odrick and Vernon, they look pretty good but, when you look at the number of pass rushes it took, NOT so good.

Starks rushed the QB 488 times, with 4 sacks, 11 hits, and 21 hurries. His play really fell off but, anyone who has lost their Mom could understand him not being focused.

Burnett rushed the QB 115 times, with 2 sacks, 6 hits, and 7 hurries. Not bad for an OLB, who rarely get to the QB.

Now for the very intriguing silent one, in Koa Misi. He rushed the QB 141 times, with 6 sacks, 2 hits, and 6 hurries in only 13 games. To put that in a sack perspective for 4-3 OLB's, Von Miller is in a class by himself with 19 sacks. Denver's Woodyard and Titan's Ayers were second with 7, and then there was Misi with 6. Thing is the other 3 had 300-400 more snaps to get their sacks.

This poses an interesting question for this year. JT was quoted in saying that Misi was going to be a VG pass rusher, and I am not one to ague with him. Depending on how things shake out in this off season, could could a Misi/Vernon combo be an answer at DE. while adding another OLB?

I'm curious why you spend so much time talking about guys that don't really rush the passer and aren't supposed to, like Burnett and Misi. Misi also had 3.5 sacks, not six.

I'm curious why you spend so much time talking about guys that don't really rush the passer and aren't supposed to, like Burnett and Misi. Misi also had 3.5 sacks, not six.

Yeah, those extra few minutes almost killed me, and could well have cost me drinking another half of beer. Point well taken. JK/LOL

I listed pass rushers, and those who had some success aside from the standard ones. This is what the team has done. Sorry to not consult you on what is acceptable but, I really don't care. :)

With 900 posts in 6 years, you seem to have a whole lot more time on your hands now. I might suggest thinking more and posting less. JMO

Back
Top Bottom