Phins send whole scouting dept to interview honey badger, showing interest | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phins send whole scouting dept to interview honey badger, showing interest

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
MOBILE, ALA. —
Cornerback Tyrann Mathieu had one of the coolest nicknames in sports while at LSU — the “Honey Badger,” which is classified as an animal that “has few natural predators because of its thick skin and ferocious defensive abilities.”
But the “Honey Badger” couldn’t stay out of trouble at LSU. He failed too many drug tests and got kicked off the team in August despite his electric talent. Two months later, he and three former teammates were arrested on charges of marijuana possession.
Now, hoping to convince NFL teams that he has learned from his mistakes and that he’s worth the risk, the man with the golden-blonde Mohawk at the Senior Bowl wants it known:
“I’m not the Honey Badger right now,” said Mathieu, who isn’t playing in the all-star game but is on hand to speak with NFL officials and the media. “My career at LSU, being the Honey Badger, it just kind of came to an abrupt end. I’ll be the Honey Badger again, and I want to do it the right way this time.”
Mathieu, who turns 21 in May, isn’t hiding from his past this week in Mobile as he looks for a fresh start. He attended practices Monday and Tuesday, admitting to past mistakes with anyone who wanted to listen.
“It was tough, but I think it’s something I had to go through and something that made me stronger,” Mathieu said of his recent troubles. “I think it’s something that, looking forward, is going to further my success, because from this point on I can probably make wiser decisions.”
And NFL teams are listening to Mathieu, too. A source close to Mathieu said he has talked formally and informally with about 20 teams this week at the Senior Bowl, including the Dolphins — who sent their entire scouting department to interview him Monday night.
Despite his past troubles, the Dolphins certainly could use a player with Mathieu’s dynamic abilities. They need depth at cornerback — especially if free agent Sean Smith signs elsewhere — and could use a playmaker on defense and special teams. As a true sophomore in 2011, the diminutive Mathieu (5-feet-9, 180 pounds) was a consensus All-American, scoring two touchdowns on defense and two more on punt returns.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...ns-among-teams-talking-to-honey-badger/nT5Wb/

I'd draft him in the 3rd. Hell...if we trade down and pick up an extra 2nd, I'm taking him the 2nd round. C.Patterson, Eifert, C.Long , Honey Badger with those picks.

You can dislike it but if he was a projected 1st rounder, freakish athlete and the only reason he dropped was because of weed (?)...then forget that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honey Badger is extremely talented, and throws his body around like no one I have seen in many years.
He was projected Rd. 1 before the suspension, despite being undersized.

Screw it, I'd take him at 3rd. round if he is still there. His talent is off the charts

I don't think he would be a Philbin type player. We've seen Philbin purge the roster of trouble makers in Marshall and Johnson. Philbin doesn't like problems with the law.

potential late round steal here fellas...nickle corner with serious ball skills and a real nose for the football in all facets...the ball finds him...

Id take him round 5 or later...Maybe late 4 (at the earliest!!)

I don't think he would be a Philbin type player. We've seen Philbin purge the roster of trouble makers in Marshall and Johnson. Philbin doesn't like problems with the law.

That seems to be true, but nevertheless they they all were - interviewing him. Coyle says he wants impact players. I'm not sure if Mathieu really demonstrated he was worthy of the legendary status with his performances against the better college teams, but he is raw material that could be something we haven't seen in a Fins uniform before. He could also be a total bust.

We've seen with the Egnew backlash that the fans don't really trust JI to experiment with guys who need a lot of moulding. If he drafted Mathieu, I'd certainly respect him for his balls, if not necessarily his reasoning.

There certainly aren't many "impact playmakers" in this year's DB class. Poyer is interesting for his pick rate, Teo (despite the circus) has an amazing int rate for a LB. After those guys, the other names with turnover records in college come with plenty of deficiencies. Amerson is an example at CB, but he might make a very handy NFL safety.

Late (3-4)round nickle corner and KR? I don't think he's this regime's kind of player but he has a knack for making plays.

I agree that he's a nickel back/special teams star. I wouldn't take him earlier than round 4 at best. Not sure if I would bring him to Miami at all. There have been alot of stories flying around locally about him, his level of intelligence, and his inner demons. Just reminds me of a Pac Man type guy.

Size (thus, durability) is a concern, I don't think attitude or off-field activities. Just a gut feeling.

Someone's gonna pick him in the second day.

Is he able to attend the NFL Combine? if yes, then i can see someone picking him up on day 1. The kids explosive, and just always has a knack for being around the ball. Plus training in boca raton with patrick peterson's dad isn't to shabby either.

Back
Top Bottom