Play-by-Play Breakdown of Henne's reps against Atlanta | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Play-by-Play Breakdown of Henne's reps against Atlanta

Shawn-l

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Play-by-Play Breakdown of First-team Offensive reps against Atlanta

1st Series:

1st down - Jerry gets beat (inside pressure, almost everyone got beat!), Henne throws it quickly to Hartline. OL was in total disarray that play. Nice read by Henne.

1st down - Wildcat, 5 yds. Decent blocking.

2nd - Loss of 1. Blocking was not that bad, if Ronnie had bounced outside to the left it would've been a long gain.

3rd - 6 man Blitz, one gets free from right side of OL. Pass to Marshall (incomplete). Henne needs better blitz recognition.

2nd Series:

1st down - Ricky rush for 2yds. LB's just plugged the holes.

2nd - Draw to Ricky for 1yd. Grove was the biggest reason this play failed but Ronnie had a pretty poor block attempt as well.

3rd - 6 man blitz caused quite a bit of confusion. Ricky let his guy go to create an option for Henne but his guy got the sack.

3rd Series:

1st down - Pass to Ronnie for about 14 yds. Decent blocking.

1st - ILB and OLB blitz. This I have a problem with, Henne should've recognized this blitz and either audibled or made a hot call.

2nd - Draw to Ronnie for 6 yds. Pretty decent blocking.

3rd - Hartline on a comeback for a 1st. Pretty fair blocking. PENALTY - Holding

3rd - Incomplete to Marshall. Good blocking, Henne makes a decent read but made a bad throw. Here he could've stepped to the left of the pocket and took off or bought himself more time to find someone else. Cause there were three guys in Marshall's vicinity making it a fairly tough throw.

4th Series:

1st down - dump off to Ricky for 5. Outstanding blocking on this play, could've hung in there and found someone else or took off.

2nd - Decent read. Pass to Hartline for a 1st. Carey almost gave up a sack. Then again, Henne could've stepped up a bit. Henne consistently has concrete feet in the pocket.

1st - Incomplete to Marshall. I don't know what he was thinking on this play. Threw it 10 yds out of bounds. Maybe it slipped out of his hands(?).

2nd - Play-action to Ricky for a small gain.

3rd - Incomplete to Bess. Threw a bit behind him cause he was covered well. Could've hit Marshall as he had some small kid behind him. Would've been an easy 1st. Some reason he chose Bess. Bad call.

5th Series:

1st - Ronnie loss of 1. This was just a bad play design. They have Jake pulling from his tackle spot all the way over to the right to block out for Ronnie. Gee, guess what happened? The DE over Jake followed right behind Jake and tackled Ronnie. Brilliant play design! Someone must've missed their assignment, I hope Henning isn't that dense.

2nd - Incomplete to Hartline. The "first" legitimate drop. Outstanding pass blocking on this play. Hartline was covered fairly well by Lofton. He had Ronnie in the flat with no one within 10 yds.

3rd - Complete to Hartline 2 yds short of the marker. 8 man blitz was picked up fairly well. That means Marshall, Bess, and Hartline were one-on-one in coverage and Henne throws it short. I'll bank my money on Marshall one-on-one anyday of the week against anyone. Bad decision.

4th - They go for it with Polite. Bet they didn't see that coming. No gain.

6th Series:

1st down - Incomplete to Marshall. Ball tipped.

2nd - Incomplete to Ricky. I don't know what he was thinking on this play. Outstanding protection with 5 receivers
and he throws it within 2 seconds. Play like you've got a pair, Henne.

3rd - Complete 2 yds shy of marker to Marshall. 5 man blitz was picked up well. This is the second time he's done this. I'm seeing a pattern where Henne is making 2 reads and throws it even if that second read is covered. Doesn't take into consideration that he has good blocking and could wait an extra second or two (ala Pennington or even Thigpen) or run with it.

7th Series:

1st - Ronnie draw loss of 1. Jerry didn't seal off and Berger didn't get to Lofton. 2nd level blocking has been a big contributer to the poor running game performance. Incognito pancakes his guy. Best OLmen performance of the night outside of Long was Incognito.

2nd - 35yds to Marshall down the left sideline. Beautiful throw.

1st - Incomplete to Fasano. Henne had good blocking, looked off Marshall then came back to Fasano. It could've been complete had he thrown it when Fasano made his break but he threw it late which gave the CB time to close and knock it away. Henne could've hit an open Martin just to the left of Fasano as well. Bad decision.

2nd - Sweep to Ronnie loss of 1. Again, second level blocking failed. Fasano did't hold his block and Incognito wasn't fast enough to get out in front of Lofton to cut him off.

3rd - Complete 20 yds to Marshall. Good blocking on 5 man rush. Decent throw.

1st - Spiked to stop the clock.

2nd - Tipped ball intercepted. I suppose he didn't see the LB between him and Fasano. Had decent enough blocking to make another read. Ronnie was one-on-one in the left flat. This kind of play is a back-breaker. Could've tied it going into the second half.

8th series:

1st down - Complete to Ricky for 13 yds. Decent blocking on 5 man rush.

1st - Ricky for 1 yd. Again, Fasano can't hold his block, he just got out-muscled. Jerry dominated his guy. Grove turned his guy inside which was wierd cause apparently the lane was supposed to be inside. He should've kicked him outside.

2nd - Ronnie for 2 yds. The line surged forward two yds but didn't have a hole to run through. Martin got out-muscled and pushed back into Ronnie. We need a better blocking TE. Martin is not good and Fasano, although good last year, is not doing well in this game. Later in the game when Pennington had the 3rd down in the red area on that roll-out, Fasano was the one that let the guy through that forced Penny to throw it away.

3rd - Incomplete to Hartline. Nice read/throw, it looked like a completion. Should've challenged that play. Solid 7-man blitz picked-up well. ATL blitzed a LOT tonight.

Our running game was inefficient mainly due to our 2nd level blocking being atrocious. Also, we need better blocking from our TE's. Our passing game makes me worry a bit. This will be Henne's 2nd season at the helm. It appears they're holding the reins on him. He had a pattern of looking at only 2 reads even when he had plenty of time (which was more than you may think). Because of that restriction, he's forcing throws when he could either look at a third/forth option or run with it.

thanks for the write up, but you kind of contradict yourself here

3rd - Complete to Hartline 2 yds short of the marker. 8 man blitz was picked up fairly well. That means Marshall, Bess, and Hartline were one-on-one in coverage and Henne throws it short. I'll bank my money on Marshall one-on-one anyday of the week against anyone. Bad decision.

so you'll take Marshall one on one anyday of the week... then he actually passes to Marshall one on one in this play and you say bad decision...

3rd - Complete 2 yds shy of marker to Marshall. 5 man blitz was picked up well. I don't know, maybe throw to a receiver who doesn't have someone draped all over them short of the 1st down?

so you'll take Marshall one on one anyday of the week... then he actually passes to Marshall one on one in this play and you say bad decision...

You're taking that out of context. It was a bad decision cause he threw it to a receiver that was short of the 1st down with a DB on top of him. IF it was past the 1st down marker, then yeah, go to Marshall. He made the catch, just was heading towards the sideline short of the marker then the DB just had to push him out.

i would say it was a poor throw, but still not really a contradiction. it was a third-down play and Marshall was short of first down yardage. if you're going to throw to Marshall there, make sure he can create something after the catch. IMO the pass led Marshall too far to the sidelines and eventually out of bounds. so yeah, probably a poor throw but not really a good decision either.

So when Henne makes a pre-snap read and sees a blitz coming instead of getting rid of the ball quickly he should wait to see if the O-line picks it up well enough to give him time to go through his progressions? Who knew it was that easy?

You're taking that out of context. It was a bad decision cause he threw it to a receiver that was short of the 1st down with a DB on top of him. IF it was past the 1st down marker, then yeah, go to Marshall. He made the catch, just was heading towards the sideline short of the marker then the DB just had to push him out.

so was Marshall past the 1st down marker on the play he threw it to Hartline?

damn guys! give him a break! Nice write up dude. I agree with most of it. i'm not gonna butcher it by any means.

So when Henne makes a pre-snap read and sees a blitz coming instead of getting rid of the ball quickly he should wait to see if the O-line picks it up well enough to give him time to go through his progressions? Who knew it was that easy?

How many presnap adjustments do you see Henne make? Compare that to say Brady or Manning or Brees. They'll point out persons of interest before the snap. The OLB being on the line outside of the tackle opposite of the TE's alignment with three down linemen is a person of interest. A hot call should've been made yet it didn't appear anyone ran a hot route. At the times I mentioned bad blitz recognition, either Henne didn't make an adjustment or he tried forcing a throw that shouldn't have been made.

so was Marshall past the 1st down marker on the play he threw it to Hartline?

Look guys, we lost 16-6. Chad was 10-22 for 123 yds and a pick with maybe 2 of those being legitimate drops. It was not a pretty game. I provided factual information of the plays then gave my assessment of what I thought went wrong. If you don't agree with it, that's fine. It would be more productive if you provide your assessment of the play instead of just trying to pick apart my assessment.

Concrete feet? This isn't M. Vick..., throwing off one leg and getting pickd off, the guy is a pocket passer he needs a good base not unlike P Manning or T. Brady..., maybe he can learn to step up further but I don't expect much more from Henne - the Oline must compete better

Concrete feet? This isn't M. Vick..., throwing off one leg and getting pickd off, the guy is a pocket passer he needs a good base not unlike P Manning or T. Brady..., maybe he can learn to step up further but I don't expect much more from Henne - the Oline must compete better

He certainly seems to throw well when they roll him out of the pocket. That was their bread-n-butter 3rd and long play last year. But that's not the point. What I'm saying is he takes his 3-5 step drop and just stands there 98% of the time. Which is fine if you have a good pocket and your lanes are clear. But c'mon, this is the NFL. Even Danny had that hop step up or out to avoid a rush. I'm not saying he needs to be super elusive, just make enough of an adjustment to avoid getting sacked or the ball/his arm being swatted. Bottom line is, it'll be his second season starting. He still has a ways to go to be a franchise QB.

Look guys, we lost 16-6. Chad was 10-22 for 123 yds and a pick with maybe 2 of those being legitimate drops. It was not a pretty game. I provided factual information of the plays then gave my assessment of what I thought went wrong. If you don't agree with it, that's fine. It would be more productive if you provide your assessment of the play instead of just trying to pick apart my assessment.

i thanked your post and enjoyed the write up... just noting your contradiction... no need to get defensive...

you cant just throw it up to marshall anytime like you said he should when he threw it to Hartline... and you even noted that yourself in the next 3rd down throw... every play is different, you cant see every players routes or coverages when Henne makes his decisions, you dont know how deep the receivers are supposed to be running certain routes, etc...

im not defending Henne, just making the point that these kind of exercises on "decision making" are too difficult because you, nor I, nor anyone who doesn't have a full field view and know the play call can make them accurately...

but again good post and that is why i thanked it

i thanked your post and enjoyed the write up... just noting your contradiction... no need to get defensive...

First, I appreciate the feedback. It wasn't a contradiction, you took what I said out of context. I said it was a bad decision cause he threw it toward the sideline short of the 1st down with someone behind him.

you cant just throw it up to marshall anytime like you said he should when he threw it to Hartline... and you even noted that yourself in the next 3rd down throw... every play is different, you cant see every players routes or coverages when Henne makes his decisions, you dont know how deep the receivers are supposed to be running certain routes, etc...

On the play he threw short to Hartline, I knew Marshall was one-on-one cause you can count 8 guys rushing the passer with Bess, Marshall, and Hartline running routes. On the play Marshall caught the ball short, I didn't say he was one-on-one, you couldn't tell. The way that Marshall released off of the line when he was one-on-one, I would assume he was beyond the 1st down. You can assume he wasn't for the sake of arguing. Either way, if I had a choice between Marshall and Hartline in one-on-one coverage short of the 1st down, (IMO) I'm taking Marshall. How much are we paying him? To do what? Throw to Hartline in single coverage short of the first on 3rd and long? I don't mean to be offensive but that was a bad decision.

im not defending Henne, just making the point that these kind of exercises on "decision making" are too difficult because you, nor I, nor anyone who doesn't have a full field view and know the play call can make them accurately...

but again good post and that is why i thanked it

I doubt the play-call involved not making a first down. This is a results driven business. Given that fact, he didn't make a good decision either way you cut it. Marshall was one-on-one on that play, even if Marshall was short of the first, I would've taken him over Hartline seeing as in that situation, they both were short of the first, my odds would've been on Marshall given his ability to make people miss.

atlanta blitzed, we didnt. listened to nfl radio today and talked about how some teams blitz in preseason and others do not, which makes preseason a huge deception game.

Back
Top Bottom