Player Development?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Player Development??

DolfanISS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a theme I've seen on here for quite a while and thought I'd get some opinions on it. How come it seems like so many on here talk about drafting developmental players (QB comes to mind in the upcoming draft) but totally discount players we've been developing for a very short time. For instance I keep seeing O-line related threads about how we have to upgrade the line via the draft or free agency but why are we totally discounting some of our in house options already? If we're doing that why take anyone in the later rounds and try to develop them? I keep seeing ideas of moving Tunsil back to guard and drafting a new LT. Why don't we see if Tunsil's development matches his talent before doing something so hasty like waste the 11th pick on an LT? Why spend high picks on guards after Asiata had a red shirt year in 2017? Is there no shot he can ever start in the NFL? Do we know this already? Most of the site was excited when we drafted him. What about replacing Pouncey, which much to the chagrin of many here probably isn't going to happen, why not Brendal? Why does everyone need to be replaced through the draft and if they don't preform right away they are still considered needed to be replaced by finheaven?

It's just funny how so many value draft picks soooooo much than guys we drafted are treated as instantly needing to be replaced in the next draft because they didn't perform right away. Overall I feel finheaven doesn't care about and totally discounts the concept of players developing and becoming adequate starters.

I can say that player development on the offensive line had been lacking prior to this year. Guys like Jesse Davis and Jake Brendal would never have developed under previous staffs and even so I'm sure the development of Tunsil, Davis and Brendal as well as the rest of the offensive line was stunted by a coke snorting offensive line coach. I thought Washburn, the new O-line coach, did an excellent job in Chicago. Especially with Cody Whitehair who was a LT in college and had to make the move to Center.

For a long time player development had been lacking in a lot of areas on the team, except for D-line when Kacy Rodgers was here. That guy was amazing. Anarumo, now gone, was also very good at developing DBs. I think most of us can point to a DB under him that got progressively better with a few exception and not by his doing but because the player was simply not good (Will Davis, Jamar Taylor to name a couple). Our biggest problem with players not developing has been that we haven't put them in position to succeed. We haven't asked them to do what they do best and build on that, instead we ask them to do something entirely different because, I suppose, it looks good on paper and it should work. Or maybe the coaches coached a player previously that could execute something that our players simply can't.

I do like the reformed coaching staff Gase is putting together. Studesville and Koceruk (sp?) have a track record of developing players. Washburn, still rather young as a coach, has done a nice job developing O-lineman. Loggains had a 15th ranked offense with Jay Cutler in Chicago, he fell off this year but when you have a rookie QB and no WRs that's not all that surprising. I think Loggains biggest attribute will be in helping with the game planning and schemes during the week, something our former OC didn't really have.

However, there are still players on this team that you just know aren't going to get any better. Kiko Alonso is not going to get any better, the only difference between Kiko 2016 and Kiko 2017 is that he caused more turnovers last year so people turned a blind eye to his shortcomings (I know people will disagree). Ted Larsen is not going to get any better, he is who he is. Pouncey is not getting any better, in fact he looks to be getting worse. He's clearly on the backend of his career. Reshad Jones is not going to get any better...he's pretty good now but don't expect him to all of a sudden be great in coverage or be able to cover TEs. He's never been very good at that aspect of his game. Fasano is not getting faster, ever. Julius Thomas is not going to morph into the player he was in 2012 and I think at this point we're going to have to say Parker is who he is...what you see is what you get with him.

Players who I believe still have upside left to reach...Howard, Tankersley, Lippett, Jesse Davis, Tunsil, Asiata (if he drops some weight), Grant, Drake, Tannehill (yes his arrow is still pointing up), Harris, Taylor, Godchaux (sp?), Chase Allen and Malvuaex (sp?)...don't ask me why but I think this kid could be special.

Players I still don't know about McMillan (everyone is hopeful but we still haven't seen him play an NFL game...could be another AJ Hawk for all we know and that's not really a good thing), McTyer...there's potential there just don't know enough, Maurice Smith (same as McTyer), Eric Smith.

Yeah, I don't get it either...why bother with a development team in the first place if you aren't going to use the players at some point...maybe we..

1. Don't have the right coaches to develop anyone
2. Don't have the training time it takes to develop players

I'm not sure....but if the cap isn't affected by the coaching/training staff...then why not have a group of coaches continually developing your team?....while the starters and backups are practicing what are these guys doing? It seems like they would be practicing to learn the playbook and trying to make the team

Maybe somebody out there can address this and educate us on how a practice squad works and what can be done to make it better...

another problem is keeping the few talented players we do develop, we've let go of Charles Clay, Rishard Matthews, Olivier Vernon, Lamar Miller to name a few. Instead of extending them before their last year we wait until we are priced out. The one's I miss most are Clay and Vernon as we have yet to have a decent TE since he left and Vernon while not a premier DE has gotten at least 7 sacks 2013.

Last edited:
another problem is keeping the few talented players we do develop, we've let go of Charles Clay, Rishard Matthews, Olivier Vernon, Lamar Miller to name a few. Instead of extending them before their last year we wait until we are priced out. The one's I miss most are Clay and Vernon as we have yet to have a decent TE since he left and Vernon while not a premier DE has gotten at least 7 sacks 2013.
This. We seem to make more “wrong” bets w contract extensions than “right” ones. And now, to show the world we have learned, we will cut off our nose to spite our face and not budge on the 11mil offered to Landry (and watch someone else take him for 13-14mil). We are idiots.

I believe the revolving door at the HC position has also hurt player development on this team. New HC means a new philosophy, new assistant coaches, new players and inevitably.......failure.

There are a few players on the roster I like as developmental talents. Eric Smith - OL, Maurice Smith - FS, Torry McTyer - CB, Vincent Taylor - DT...all these guys were lower round picks or rookie FAs. Then you have the guys that saw significant playing time or starter snaps, Jesse Davis-OL, Godcheaux - DT, Tankersly - CB.

The coaching staff is actually doing a decent job of developing young talent, but they continue to make the error of ignoring certain positions while holding out hope that they will hit on young cheap talent. It just hasn't happened. Davis might be our starting OG next season, but the FO has essentially ignored the position. Asiata looks like a reach as a 5th round pick. Up until McMillan was picked, the team seemed to hope they would hit on a low round rookie or rookie FA. It didn't work out. Same story at finding a FS to pair with Jones...just completely ignored the position.

Damn if you don't love to setup a damned if you do, damned if you don't for the FO here.

Paying someone before they've run their rookie contact out risks downside surprises AND setting the team up for real contract trouble with every rookie who thinks they should get a big payday immediately. Pay one Landry early and the next player who thinks they have out played their contract sits out a camp or year or becomes a locker room cancer.

Once you do it, everyone will expect it. And yes, you are right that when we don't pay early, when we decide to keep that player, we'll have to pay more.

What's the right balance? Don't know. But looking at your list of players that have left, all of them got over paid given their production. Just as it's hard to field a good team when you let talented rookies leave. It's even harder when you over pay for production that you don't get.

Back
Top Bottom