Playing GM: Screw it, let's go all in for 2013 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playing GM: Screw it, let's go all in for 2013

insomnia411

The world is yours
Reaction score
As we now know, gone are the days of 3-4 year rebuilding periods in today's NFL. In recent years we have seen teams like the Saints, Niners, and Cardinals go from bad/ mediocre to a Title contender seemingly overnight thanks to drastically improved QB play and great coaching that gets the most out of the talent on the roster. Going into this past off season, I was of the opinion that we did not need a team overhaul, we needed a real QB, a real coaching staff and a couple of playmakers here and there in the secondary and on offense... That's why I was so pissed about the Marshall and Davis trades.
My point is that today's NFL is all about QB and coaching. If Philbin is our Sean Payton, and he believes that Tannehill will soon become our Drew Brees, then there is no reason why we can't win now simply by adding a few of the right pieces. Obviously my theory is predicated on Tanny improving by leaps and bounds in the next year or two, but if our staff has that much faith in him, they should make a big push to win right now.
They should cut Incognito, let Hartline, Long, Bush, Smith and Starks all walk to free up as much space as possible, bring back Fasano cheap, and kick Odrick inside to start next to start at his more natural position anyhow. In free agency, I would make a hard push for TWO top receivers (two out of Wallace, Jennings and Bowe) a guard to replace crappy Incognito, and a playmaker at corner or safety like Goldson. We should honestly have the cap space to do all that. In the draft, target one of the beast pass rushers at 12 like Dion Jordan and go after OL, a good back that fits the system, a speedy linebacker and more secondary help with the rest of our plethora of top 100 picks.
With Tannehill making (hopefully) big improvements, having time to throw and an outlandishly good cast of playmakers, there should be no excuses to not have a great offense for years to come. Defensively, so long as we continue to build around speed, pass rush and playmakers in the secondary, we should remain top 10 in the league as well.

Houshmazilly, Championship. Don't **** this up Ireland, this is a make or break off season.

As long as the prices are right, I would like keep Hartlne, Bush and Smith. We would still need additional help at CB and WR but losing these guys just creates more holes.

I was against it at first, but I'm leaning more and more towards the idea of going after Wallace and Jennings and letting Hartline walk. I doubt it's gonna happen, more of a pipe dream really. But our offense would be ridiculous...

Unfortunately, there are 31 other teams. To get 2 of those WR outta the 3 is far fetched. They will go to other tteams who open their wallets

I was against it at first, but I'm leaning more and more towards the idea of going after Wallace and Jennings and letting Hartline walk. I doubt it's gonna happen, more of a pipe dream really. But our offense would be ridiculous...

Yea, rediculously bloated, salary cap wise, but would make for some great drama as two alpha receivers continually remind Tannehill each one is always open, and each should be the main passing option.....I guess after the 2013 season, and the lockeroom haaving imploded, and Miami missing the playoff again, they can trade one of the ridiculous salaries (having to eat a good amount of it), for a 3rd round draft pick in hope of getting at least a receiver that can be as talented and as good a team player as Brian Hartline.

Yea, rediculously bloated, salary cap wise, but would make for some great drama as two alpha receivers continually remind Tannehill each one is always open, and each should be the main passing option.....I guess after the 2013 season, and the lockeroom haaving imploded, and Miami missing the playoff again, they can trade one of pthe ridiculous salaries (having to eat a good amount of it), for a 3rd round draft pick in hope of getting at least a receiver that can be as talented and as good a team player as Brian Hartline.

Jennings has never displayed anything resembling selfish/ diva tendencies, and Mike Wallace was only a problem once he realized how horribly underpaid he was. You act as if I want a whiny head case like Ochocinco on the team...... Oh, I'm sorry, that was our ****tard GM.

We should purge our roster of Parcells losers and bring in talented winners at positions of need with our outrageous amount of cap space. But maybe we should stick with your idea and retain guys like Brian Hartline that get in the endzone once a decade.

As we now know, gone are the days of 3-4 year rebuilding periods in today's NFL. In recent years we have seen teams like the Saints, Niners, and Cardinals go from bad/ mediocre to a Title contender seemingly overnight thanks to drastically improved QB play and great coaching that gets the most out of the talent on the roster. Going into this past off season, I was of the opinion that we did not need a team overhaul, we needed a real QB, a real coaching staff and a couple of playmakers here and there in the secondary and on offense... That's why I was so pissed about the Marshall and Davis trades.
My point is that today's NFL is all about QB and coaching. If Philbin is our Sean Payton, and he believes that Tannehill will soon become our Drew Brees, then there is no reason why we can't win now simply by adding a few of the right pieces. Obviously my theory is predicated on Tanny improving by leaps and bounds in the next year or two, but if our staff has that much faith in him, they should make a big push to win right now.
They should cut Incognito, let Hartline, Long, Bush, Smith and Starks all walk to free up as much space as possible, bring back Fasano cheap, and kick Odrick inside to start next to start at his more natural position anyhow. In free agency, I would make a hard push for TWO top receivers (two out of Wallace, Jennings and Bowe) a guard to replace crappy Incognito, and a playmaker at corner or safety like Goldson. We should honestly have the cap space to do all that. In the draft, target one of the beast pass rushers at 12 like Dion Jordan and go after OL, a good back that fits the system, a speedy linebacker and more secondary help with the rest of our plethora of top 100 picks.
With Tannehill making (hopefully) big improvements, having time to throw and an outlandishly good cast of playmakers, there should be no excuses to not have a great offense for years to come. Defensively, so long as we continue to build around speed, pass rush and playmakers in the secondary, we should remain top 10 in the league as well.

Houshmazilly, Championship. Don't **** this up Ireland, this is a make or break off season.

That is exactly the kind of GM strategy that leads to results ala the NYJets...a year or two of relevancy, followed by a quick painful fall to rebuilding. Or you could continue to build through the draft, and eventually be continuously contending like the Steelers or the Packers.

Glad Ross, and Ireland seem to understand this.

That is exactly the kind of GM strategy that leads to results ala the NYJets...a year or two of relevancy, followed by a quick painful fall to rebuilding. Or you could continue to build through the draft, and eventually be continuously contending like the Steelers or the Packers.

This all day long!

I don't think it was until Philbin came aboard did Ross and Ireland subscribe to this notion....

great post!

I see your premise however some players need to stay on the team, such as Bush, Hartline, and Long. I agree with letting Starks walk, I mean he's going to cost a lot and I feel like Odrick has more potential than he does. This also allows for us to add a special pass rusher at the end position.

I'd like to see Bush and Hartline stay. I would love to see Long stay for the right price, incentive laden contract. The reality is 2 dozen teams will line up and over pay for him. Let's hope he buys into the fact that the dolphins are in a very good place to finally turn this around with the cap room and picks.

Jennings is this years Anquan Boldin, the guy we should have signed instead of trading 2 seconds for Brandon Marshall. Trading 2 seconds for players like Brandon Marshall is also a recipe for building a losing team.

And continue to build through the draft? Theres a damn good chance we won't have a single player left on the team from the 2008 and 2009 drafts and Pouncy is the only player worth a damn from 2011. Thats not what you call "building" through the draft by any measure.

If we had a competent GM in the least we would have at least one player like a Wallace or Jennings on the team already and if he were up for contract everybody would be saying "there is no way we can't let that guy walk" but in reality signing a free agent from another team is no different than signing our own free agents. People are clouded by loyalty, in this case loyalty to mediocre players.

Jennings is this years Anquan Boldin, the guy we should have signed instead of trading 2 seconds for Brandon Marshall. Trading 2 seconds for players like Brandon Marshall is also a recipe for building a losing team.

And continue to build through the draft? Theres a damn good chance we won't have a single player left on the team from the 2008 and 2009 drafts and Pouncy is the only player worth a damn from 2011. Thats not what you call "building" through the draft by any measure.

If we had a competent GM in the least we would have at least one player like a Wallace or Jennings on the team already and if he were up for contract everybody would be saying "there is no way we can't let that guy walk" but in reality signing a free agent from another team is no different than signing our own free agents. People are clouded by loyalty, in this case loyalty to mediocre players.

Thank you. I don't think the Saints are too unhappy about signing Drew Brees, and I don't think the Cowboys were upset about Deion Sanders. You can build through the draft and still amplify the team talent in FA.

And given how pathetic Saban's two drafts were (I don't care how many NCAA championships he wins, he sucked at drafting), it becomes easy to figure out why this team has had nothing but losing seasons (6 out of the last 7) in recent memory, outside of a fluke year in 2008.

And given how pathetic Saban's two drafts were (I don't care how many NCAA championships he wins, he sucked at drafting), it becomes easy to figure out why this team has had nothing but losing seasons (6 out of the last 7) in recent memory, outside of a fluke year in 2008.

Yup, for sure its been bad for long before Ireland got here, we've drafted one probowl receiver in 30 years. Building through the draft is definitely the ideal way to build a team but its easier said than done and you actually have to have an eye for talent to pull it off. Jimmy Johnson drafted Surtain, Madison, Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas over a 3 year stretch and those 4 players kept our team competitive for the better part of a decade.

Back
Top Bottom