please inform me about russell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

please inform me about russell

catapano

get out da way
Reaction score
who is this guy, where did he come from how big, fast is he?
has anybody seen him in action? im talking about the running back
whats his # i hear lots of good things but i am yet to see him?

Here is a pic:

clear.gif

Section126 said:
Here is a pic:

clear.gif

:roflmao:

He went to Iowa, he's 5'7 195 and ran a 4.55 40. He's #30, the munchkin. Here's a brief bio from SI.Com:

POSITIVES: Tough, explosive ball carrier with outstanding instincts. Runs low to the ground, has darting style and sets up defenders, then makes them miss. Elusive, bounces to the outside, avoiding piles and displays the ability to freeze opponents, cuts back against the grain and find the open spot in a defense. Outstanding running vision, has a burst through the hole and runs hard on the inside.

NEGATIVES: More quick than fast and lacks breakaway speed. Does not have the power to break tackles on the inside. Marginal blocking and pass-receiving skills.

ANALYSIS: In many ways, Russell's running abilities remind us of Amos Zeroed, though his pass-catching abilities are not nearly as good as the former West Virginia product. Has a real shot to be a situational/change-of-pace runner at the next level and could be a dangerous offensive threat if he adds the element of return duties to his game and learns how to catch the football. Performance at the Combine solidified a first day calling of his name.

PROJECTION: Late Third Round

As you can see he was projected as a late 3rd so his stock really fell but the kid has some talent...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/43558.html

http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/russell_fred00.html

fred russell

also known as "Sublte Hustle"

Fred "Subtle Hustle" Russell

he's a quick quick quick little guy, some people say he's very similar to barry sanders, but can't stop and turn like a time like barry did.

ii

thanks finsflurry sounds like hes gonna be a good return guy do you think hes as good allaround back as lenord h.

Dude, all you need to know is that he's from the great state of IOWA!! :lol: He and Sage are the future :foundout:. Seriously though, Russell should have something to offer to our team this year....fingers crossed.

Yeah, I was excited when the Dolphins picked him up. I remember watching Robert Gallery make a nice block in the Iowa games and this little gnat of a running back would zip right through the hole into daylight - that was Russell, and it was cool when the Dolphins signed him. He's the next Dante Hall!!!

I lived in Iowa City (Home of the Hawkeyes) and was privvy to see Fred Russell play. Very very talented young man. I just wish we would have picked up Brad Banks as well. I see a few Iowans on this site, wooohooo. Whaddya think of us scooping banks lol?

Here are some excerpts about him from my fav draft site http://www.nflfans.com/draft/.

WEIGHT:195
225# REPS:21
40 AVERAGE:4.47

" His size, although very limiting to his ability to be an every down back, is overcome some by his success in his senior year in a big school program against good competition.

I doubt if he would be more than a change of pace back in the NFL. If he proves he can develop into a good receiver out of the backfield he might play well in a west coast system that would allow him to rotate with other RBs. He could definitely be an electrifying KR and special teams contributor in year one in the NFL. That will enhance his draft status significantly over other undersized RBs. draftx.com Pros: An extremely fast RB who play bigger than his size, big play ability, good vision, uses blockers well, sees lanes and cuts quickly, decent blocker considering his size, an excellent KR, had huge senior year at Iowa.

draftx.com Cons: Has had a limited exposure to the passing game. Had a shoulder injury that cost him most of his freshman year. Really has no weakness other than his very limited size. If he were 3 or 4 inches taller would be a first round possibility".

I live in Iowa City (A.K.A.) Hawkeye land and have watched Russell his whole career. Don't remeber him returning kicks while here at Iowa. He is really quick, but doesn't have break away speed. He ran behind a great line his junior year and behind a good line last year. He is the quickest to the hole that I have seen in a long time. His draw back is size and he doesn't break alot of tackles. P.S. Didn't the Hawks kick some Gator arse in the Outback bowl last year?. There really is football played in Iowa. Go Hawks

I just hope not having Gallery around doesn't make to much of a difference for him. If the holes are there, rest assured he'll hit 'em. Freakin' fast, that's all I can say. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom