Please just answer me one question... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Please just answer me one question...

oracle3410

Practice Squad
Reaction score
When will Fred Russell have 'proven' his toughness?

The guy plays an entire big ten season, averaging 18.8 carries a game in the most physical conference in the country, and yet every other post in reference to him is how he'll never survive, he'll get broken.

Even with the NFL being more physical, do you honestly think that 5 or 6 NFL carries a game is worse than 20 Big Ten Carries? Especially when he'll be used on the outside and in draw plays?

Is this really the consensus opinion or just a vocal minority? (no pun intended)

Quentin Griffin, 5'7", 195 lbs, Denver Broncos

Griffin is a player of similar size and skill to Fred Russell. Last season, Griffin played in 10 games and ran the ball 94 times on the year. That's an average of 9.4 rushes per game. Griffin is now in the mix for the starting job in Denver, though I believe the starter will be Tatum Bell. Griffin will likely get anywhere from 120 to 150 rushes this season though.

If Quentin Griffin can handle that kind of load, I see no reason why Fred Russell can't handle that type of load.

Most of those griffin carries came later in the year too. I remember a specific game (can't remember against whom), where he carried the load almost single-handedly.

oracle3410 said:
Most of those griffin carries came later in the year too. I remember a specific game (can't remember against whom), where he carried the load almost single-handedly.
that would be against indy:)

I think you might be referring to that Sunday Night Game against Indy when he filled in for Portis.If I recall correctly I think he ran for over 100 that game too.I could be wrong if so sorry for the confusion.

Actually, the same argument could be made for Travis Minor who started four years for FSU and ran against some pretty good defenses including Miami and Florida.

The size thing is just a waste of time. Some smaller guys are better runners, but since they don't meet ideal size we assume they can't get it done.

oracle3410 said:
When will Fred Russell have 'proven' his toughness?

The guy plays an entire big ten season, averaging 18.8 carries a game in the most physical conference in the country, and yet every other post in reference to him is how he'll never survive, he'll get broken.

Even with the NFL being more physical, do you honestly think that 5 or 6 NFL carries a game is worse than 20 Big Ten Carries? Especially when he'll be used on the outside and in draw plays?

Is this really the consensus opinion or just a vocal minority? (no pun intended)
:shout: (Vocal Minority here).Success at college does not always translate into success at the pro level.

That does not preclude him from making it in the NFL.Statistically his chances are not very good.The Chiefs had a midget TB back some time back (Was it Holmes?)who fit in well in their system (But they had a huge OL:fatman: ).It will be more likely he will make it as a returner and as a situational player if he makes it at all:escape: .There will be a lot of people rooting for him though:up: including myself.Who doesnt like an underdog :clap: ?

I think Frodo will do fine in some capacity. Just remember in Lord Of the Rings when they said "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

Mix match him.KR/PR,3rd downer,and possible 4th WR because he runs decent routes and has the speed.I liked him at Iowa so give him a chance.He will make some plays if hes given the opts.

I wouldn't mind using all our running backs at some point. If you think about it, Morris, Minor, Russel and Henry all have different styles. We should use the two that fit the system best.

Lots of small backs do pretty good . Barry Sanders was like 5'9 I believe. And Mark Higgs for us was small to I think. I don't see why Fred Russell can't do the same . Although he may have a hard time getting reps with Minor and the others. But I think hell come in on 3rd downs sometimes and kr's. Or something like that.

Russell will be returning kicks for us by the time the season begins. He is the perfect mold for an NFL returner. Small, lightening quick, strong and durable. He can change direction on a dime and outrun coverage. I believe he will be our primary return man as long as there are no other issues (fumbles for example).

Back
Top Bottom