Poll: If Fins finish 8-8, What should be done about the coach?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zicofirol, Oct 26, 2010.

?

What should happen to Sparano if fins fail to make the playoffs or go 8-8?

Poll closed May 14, 2011.
  1. Keep him regardless of this season's outcome.

35.0%
  2. Keep him only if he has winning record, even if fins dont make the playoffs

3.4%
  3. He can stay as long as Henning goes

38.5%
  4. Fire him

14.5%
  5. Fire him and Ireland.

8.5%
  1. zicofirol

zicofirol A True Fan

Just curious on people's take on Sparano. I myself lost faith after yet another mismanaged game where bad decisions especially in crunch time cost the fins the game.

2. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Why wasnt this thread up a week ago when we played the Packers?
    You certainly could have gotten the public faith on our coach then.

Why wait until after a game in which we score a good deal of points against the hottest team in the NFL and lost because of an admitted ref error to create this poll? Why ask this question after we lose a game under the most questionable means possible? Even the NFL is admitting that they screwed the pooch on the call, if not the replay.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...versial-loss-to-steelers-?module=HP_headlines

They screwed up the call on the field and could not get around that(even though they had no motivation to do so). They can continue to try and overshadow it, but the fact remains they called the play dead waaaay to prematurely.

Either way, we played one of the best teams in football and "beat them". So why pull up this thread when we get robbed?

3. zicofirol

zicofirol A True Fan

I think I posted somewhere that last week's game was a win that should of been more comfortable since the packers were missing 8 starters. Also I said before the game it would be close regardless of who played because the fins cant close out teams even bad ones or ones with half their starters out.

Answer this honesly:
    Fings get the ball back, do you really think they would of not run 3 str8 times for 3 yards and then punted it back giving the steelers another chance? We will never know, what we do know is terrible play calling led to the fins not scroing from the pitt 20 and 11, and later from the 4!

4. zachblitz54

zachblitz54 Juck the Fets

IMO, 8 - 8 is not bad considering the schedule played and having to work with a senial OC who still thinks he is coaching in the 80's.

5. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

He needs to go !!!!!!! It's like watching a stone mason, trying to be a finish carpenter. What the hell does anybody see on game day that makes you think this guy is head coaching material. Is it our great clock management? Our wonderful 2 min offense? Our fansastic use of timeouts? Or maybe it's his mangnificent fist pump and celebration after a field goal. Sparano is the Jay Fielder of coaching.

6. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

Fire him. He's a good assistant coach, not a good head coach. He plays not to lose - you don't win super bowls that way. And it would be a shame to waste the talent on the team on a coach who won't leave it all on the field. You trust your players or you don't.

7. qmar

qmar Well-Known Member

With Tony's faults comes strengths. The guy is a great motivator and his players get up to play for him each and every week. And honestly, when you don't call the plays on offense or defense, what more is there to do besides clock management, challenge decisions, and getting your team reved up.

I'm personally sick of the coaching carroussel and am ready to give him 1 more year beyond this. If things go ever further south in 2011, we move on. Remember, we are not far removed from the worst string of coaches (probably exaggerated) in NFL history (Wanstedt, Bates, Saban, Cameron)

8. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

8-8 is unforgivable.

9. Ilovemyfins4eva

Ilovemyfins4eva A True Fan Donator

first of all the girl in ur sig is so ****in hot.

anyways, ya under those circumstances i guess 8-8 wouldnt be bad, but overall 8-8 ****in sucks. if we go anything worse than 10-6 imo, we need a new coaching staff.

i want a coaching staff that is mean and gutsy and wont put up with **** like this. i mean this is a joke. 2nd and goal at the 2 yd line vs the jets and our ****in staff throws 2 passes, but when we got 1st and 10 at the 15 yd line this week and in general, we run the ball 3 times.

this staff is just way to conservative and makes no sense to me. we need a change if we dont turn things around, and by around , i mean postseason or bust. i want to see this team be a mean mother****in team for once.

10. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

I had to pick fire him and Ireland because there was no option to just fire Ireland. Tony is ok, but if losing him meant we would be rid of Ireland I would be a happy man.

11. Horami

Horami Well-Known Member

Sparano is not a bad coach. He's not Belichick....... but nobody else is either.

Before the season..... i looked at the schedule and said..... 9-7.

8-8 isn't so far off that i would fire him.

Without being a Homer....it was really unrealistic to look at that schedule and say something like

12-4.

12. zicofirol

zicofirol A True Fan

I dont remember a beating as bad as they got against the patrios... thats getting up and playing for your coach? The big errors btw where blocking errors, from the guy who is suppose to be the blocking guru!

13. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

I don't mind if they keep Tony, but Henning needs to be fired.

14. ChambersChamps

ChambersChamps Rookie Donator

Only way I am ok with keeping him is if Henning is fired and also if the special teams is fixed! Otherwise I want my man Jon "Chucky" Gruden here with his old running mate Mike Nolan!!

15. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

He can stay as long as Henning goes. We need a new offensive coordinator.

16. IronChef

IronChef A True Fan

I want Henning gone.

17. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

Fire Ireland? Ok lets start over, Great Idea!!! Why don't we understand that organizational music chairs is the surest way to remain a non factor?

18. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

Fire our fans.

19. fish_fan

fish_fan Rookie

I voted fire him. While the OC isn't getting the job done, this is Sparano's ship and the team was built with his philosophy. A philosophy of no risks and settling for field goals.

I have this feeling that Sparano has reached his ceiling. He can build a solid team and keep the locker room happy but I just don't think he has the innovation or gamesmanship to get over the hump. That said, we do have ten more games to see if he gets better...

20. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

Gruden blows. Rode Dungy's team to a title and hasn't done squat since.

21. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

Isn't the definition of insanity repeatedly doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. This is why I feel Henning needs to go. He is just to set in his ways and isn't capable of adjusting his game plan to how the NFL is a throwing league first, and that throwing is now used to set up the run. Not the other way around. He just plays things to close to the vest which in close games against good teams will get you beat. I had a high school football coach who used to tell us when we had a lead that now is the time to "put your foot on their throat and crush them". Just once I would like to see our O try to put a team away instead of playing not to losse.

However, though I would like us to keep Sparano. He is a great motivator who's team is normally ready to play. That being said though if keeping Sparano means keeping Henning I would have to say goodbye to both of them, and please bring us Brian Billick. I would love to see him run our O and have Nolan run the D.

22. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

If we get rid of Henning that means that around Sparano in successive seasons we would have gotten rid of our Defensive, Special Teams, and Offensive Coordinators.

Only one person left after that, and it's Tony Sparano.

Sparano is not a championship caliber head coach. He's definitely coaching to keep his job, going for that 8-8 record. Our style of football does not lend to blowout wins or blowout loses. It's always gonna look like we are few plays or few players away from playoff contention.

We need more talent no matter who our head coach is. I would be for Sparano getting replaced, but that won't happen at 8-8. Only if we implode and go 5 - 11 will that happen (highly unlikely). He and Ireland get one more year to prove themselves, the length of their contracts.

Knowing this, do you think they believe that they'll bank their future careers on the arm of Chad Henne? That's the question they have to ask themselves.

23. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

While I am not for firing Ireland. Henning is a concern to me too. I think that once this organization feels that Henne (assuming that they are ready to stand by him long term) is matured enough in his basic understanding of the position a move may be imminent. Henning IMO is a decent OC for a young QB. He allows growth to happen before bum rushing him with a complicated offense. He puts them in spots to have success while limiting their exposure to confidence deflating situations. Again this goes with my idea that this team is being built under a focused plan. Either they decide that Henning needs to open it up or they go elsewhere. The problem that we are having is when do we move from baby sitting a young team to throwing them in the deep end of the pool. I think we are headed towards the deep end based on the pure thought that we would tread water through the early season gauntlet. I think this is the plan. Time to sink or swim.

24. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

Agreed. BTW you get this all the time. But this woman is truly growing on me. And I am pretty sure that she just winked at me!!!!

25. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

Keep him regardless of this seasons record. Sporano is in his 3rd year as head coach of the dolphins and I can say he is the best coach we have had since Don Shula.

The way I see it, Sporano took over the job with no prior head coaching experience. He was working under the shadow of Bill Parcells. Bill Parcells put this thing together and assembled his coaching crew, along with Ireland. Bill Parcells is now gone, therefore none of his coaching staff should feel safe anymore. Sporano is doing what any other coach in the NFL would do in defending his coaching staff, but I don't think it means he agrees with what Henning is doing or has done. Give him and Ireland a chance to take over the reigns on their own from this point on. I have a feeling they are giving Henning his last chance.

26. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

Up to now they have banked it on Henne. I don't see it changing.

27. zicofirol

zicofirol A True Fan

But it's the HC's responsability to fire the OC if he sucks...

28. icelatte39

icelatte39 Nathaniel

We have a better chance of winning if we keep Sparano, opposed to rebuilding AGAIN, and AGAIN, and again..

29. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 Restore the greatness!

I'm awfully close to being in the "Coach Sparano needs to go" camp. For me to regain faith in him, I would want to see him fire Henning IMMEDIATELY and promote someone with creative mind and an aggressive approach...no more of these stupid and predictable plays.

And where are all these exotic blitzes from Mike Nolan? Is he being handcuffed by Coach Sparano? With the exception of a couple games by Cameron Wake, our defense looks eerily similar to Pasqualoni's defense of last year, being stonewalled by everyone's offensive lines and receivers running wide open at critical times.

One person I'm quite disappointed in is Jeff Ireland. I'm convinced that he is the type of GM who can assemble enough talent to get a team to 8-8 or 9-7, but don't expect much more. With the exceptions of Jake Long and Vontae Davis, he and Parcells have failed on too many critical draft picks.

30. armyfinfan

armyfinfan Seasoned Veteran

We need to keep him I believe he will only continue to learn from his mistakes and get better. Bobby Carpenter said there was alot of yelling here which means he holds players accountable for their play and we need a guy like that. Im tired of people thinking that 3 years is all you need to build a winner just because Jimmy Johnson said 3 years. If we continue to build and keep continuity with a tweek here and there IE. Henning we should have a winner soon enough. If we start over that means Henne will not be the coach's guy and we will need to find a new QB as well. Henne has been improving as has Sparano and the team. We need to give it time.