Position change can’t save Dolphins’ Wilford | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Position change can’t save Dolphins’ Wilford

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Last week, word came out that the Miami Dolphins plan to use wide receiver as a tight end and H-back. Despite the big money Miami handed to Wilford a year ago to play receiver, this move could improve his chances of making an impact this season.

The Dolphins already have what seems to be the longest list of players at the tight end position in the NFL, and recently signed fifth-round pick John Nalbone -- who adds another TE to the mix. What is the sense, then, in moving Wilford to the spot? There's no sign that Wilford is an extremely solid blocker, nor does he run the crispest routes in the NFL. Also, if he can't get open on an island at receiver, what makes the Dolphins think he can generate proper spacing after going up against a defensive lineman in the trenches?

David Martin did have to get surgery for a sports hernia, but that shouldn't keep him from playing long enough to get Wilford involved. Anthony Fasano will still assume the starting spot and Joey Haynos will have to fill in for Martin, which he is far better suited to do than Wilford.

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/dolphins/13969

DAMN!!! I thought this was some kind of breaking news that Wilford had been cut.

All very good and common sense replies in that article. I think the try out at H-back was more of a "nice gesture" by the coaching staff toward Wilford rather than a real look at his potential there. In the end, I think they (and us all) know what Wilford's fate is.

The fact that we were paper thin a some points last year at WR and Wilford still didn't see the field tells me all I need to know about him.

As much as Wilford sucks, Haynos and Nalbone are far from sure things above him. His cost will be his downfall more than anything at TE.

The mention of him possibly being used as a TE could be a tactic to increase his value for a team looking for a WR/TE, you know, get something for nothing :).

its time to just let him go

Absolutely.

I hate dead weight at this point.

Can't wait to see Charlie Anderson cut too. 1.5 sacks and a blocked punt aren't enough to warrant a second season on the phins. I think Jason Taylor is taking that spot anyway so come september both will be gone.

Wilford is the lamest duck on the team though. I could see the Eagles picking him if we cut him and releasing Reggie Brown, who by the way was the the 35th or so pick in the draft with OUR pick that we gave them for Feeley. Glad that didn't work out for them either.

no sense in cutting him now. let them battle it out in TC.
I think David Martin is in his final year.

Then your stealing reps from Haynos and Nalbone who are bonafide TE's and young. Whats the sense in dragging this on any longer if we know the outcome. I mean Wilford is a great guy so he deserves a shot elsewhere and we need(the team) to stop pretending like he even has a chance at this point.

I wish Martin had another year on his deal. I think if he has another season like last year someone will notice he can play and give him a better deal than we could even consider given that Fasano's deal is up at the end of the year. Although he won't be an UFA.

Damn what happened to Wilford he was pretty good with the Jags but now he just takes up roster space..... Miami ruined him not the org but probably the partying and what comes from it....

Not really. Wilford was always mediocre in Jacksonville - just not this bad. He was also working under his rookie contract before as well. Now that he got a little bit of money looks like he came in too content and never recovered.

Back
Top Bottom