Positives from game ?? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Positives from game ??

Creidt for lack of sacks also goes to the quick passing game. Screens and all the short stuff helps nullify pressure.

We've been running a quick passing game for 3 straight years; it didn't help much in years past, we did see a slight improvement last year with Gase.

We've been running a quick passing game for 3 straight years; it didn't help much in years past, we did see a slight improvement last year with Gase.

It has only worked under Gase b/c with Lazor defenses knew our check outs and could dictate the calls with prensap alignments.

I thought the OL played well and it would be real nice to see them play together for a long bit of time. Opened some holes for the Jtrain and kept Cutler pretty clean even though he helped the cause with some nifty pocket presence. Suh was dominate and you could see the concern in the SD oath at halftime interview.

Jarvis Landry might be even better with smokin jay under center
Yes, I just wish he'd stop spinning the damn ball every time and doing his little first down finger dance. Just do what you're paid to do. I wouldn't mind if it was a big play or a turning point in the game, but it's every freaking catch.

Stills had a nice touchdown catch. The defender was right there with his arm in there. Considering that was our only td, it was huge.

There was a wr screen that actually worked. Didn't offset the other half dozen that didn't though.

remember, Jtrain only had 1 100 yard game last year outside of his 3 200 yard games. so getting 100 out of the gate is a big positive. I didnt expect it because I felt the oline would be worse this season. Lets hope Pouncy stays healthy.

We're not talking about the offense much but they of course had a very solid game. I can excuse the first half and the low overall score to opening day jitters and just trying to get in a groove. Once we found it we were pretty good at having successful drives. Also the game moved really quickly since we ran the ball a lot and neither team let the ball hit the ground very much. It was one of the quickest games I remember.

Only thing I worry about is Cutler's focus on Parker in one on one situations. I realize that he has shown ability to outfight defenders for the ball in one on one coverage, but when he predetermines he's gonna go to Parker before the snap based on coverage he's gonna miss Stills who has actual proven to be adept at getting open downfield without it needing to be a 50/50 ball. Most of our incompletions today were Davante Parker targets.

I don't know whether to credit the o-line for their play or if it was Cutlers pocket awareness to escape the pressure.

Credit the gameplan. Practically every pass play in the first half was a quick hitter and when we started to spread out a bit in the second half we still used a lot of pocket movement and play action to keep the defense off balance. In some ways we inhibited ourselves for a while accounting for the pass rush but it worked in our favor in the end.

There were a good number of positives, actually. The big problem was the pass defense and I have no idea how you fix that if you can't get any pass rush.

But for me the positives were:

- Cutler managing the game pretty well. Made some big throws and didn't turn it over. Showed good awareness.
- Parkey, obviously
- The run D was pretty stout - only 44 yards against. Would take that every week.
- The O-line is obviously much better when Pouncey is playing. The guy needs to stay healthy. The pocket was good and the run game was clicking.
- Our WRs all did what they are paid to do. Landry had a ton of receptions, Stills caught a long TD and Parker made a couple hugely acrobatic/athletic big plays - each guy produced according to how you would draw it up in Madden.
- Julius Thomas got involved
- Jarvis Landry showing maturity - he drew a 15 yard foul on the defender NHL-style. Mixing it up, then gets pushed in the face and backs up, reeling to make it super-obvious what had just happened (as opposed to hitting the guy back). I loved it.
- Grant's 14 yard PR that gave great field position at the 49 to set up the GW drive.

Cutlers pocket awareness so refreshing

I only saw the "highlights" but 100% have to agree -- haven't seen that kind of movement in the pocket is many many years!

It's pretty obvious Cutler has NFL QB chops that Thill will NEVER have.

And yea, I've been a fan of Ryan's because he's a great kid and... a great athlete.

But -- he's below NFL grade as a pocket QB on a number of levels.

That said --------------------- super congratulations on a very difficult (all adversity considered including missing a crucial opening game experience) win!!!!!!

Last edited:
Cutler has finally learned to move in the pocket after years of getting torn a new asshole. Sound familiar?

Don't forget that Cutler has had seasons of being sacked 52, 38 and 38 times. He's not some magician in the pocket. It was a long process.

The offense seemed good a little rusty but they seemed confident.

Chase Allen & Hull played their behinds off...Kiko was amazing today.

Reshad was good he was trying to put everyone in their places on D

Xavien Howard was solid

Ajayi was lights out...Landry was a catching Machine...Parker Mossed a CB

Cutler played good vs a tough defense

Jay ajayi monster effort
Dvp one on one is your funeral
Charles Harris that kid played well today in his reps. Multiple walk backs to the qb nice stunt or twist hit on rivers.
Entire dline in the run game played well.
Adam gase for letting cutler play in the second half.
Cody Harkey who kicks with a much better vertical trajectory than our prior kicker did.
The football gods for letting us get away with that disaster nickel lb situation.

Back
Top Bottom