Positives of 2017 Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Positives of 2017 Season

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Happy New Year! With the Dolphins season coming to an end, what were your biggest positives for the year?

* The emergence of Kenyan Drake

* Xavien Howard’s 3 game run

* Stomping the Patriots

* Witnessing Jay Cutler’s final pass as a Dolphin

* Patriots trading away a QB that probably would have killed the Dolphins for another decade and a half

That the 2017 season is finally over!
Sorry, I really dislike to be negative, even when its warranted but.....The least enjoyable season ,as a fan. in the 45 years I have watched this team. Not much to enjoy. That being said, Drake, Howard and Cutler(no longer a Dolphin) are good things to build on

Happy New Year! With the Dolphins season coming to an end, what were your biggest positives for the year?

* The emergence of Kenyan Drake

* Xavien Howard’s 3 game run

* Stomping the Patriots

* Witnessing Jay Cutler’s final pass as a Dolphin

* Patriots trading away a QB that probably would have killed the Dolphins for another decade and a half
1. The emergence of Drake is sort of a wash to me... yes it's nice that we Finally figured out he can be a good starting RB, but we went into the season thinking we already had one of the best Rb's in the league in Ajayi.

2. Howard had more than a 3 game run. He actually played pretty lights out since the Atlanta game.

3. This was by far the highlight of the season. As someone said before this was our Superbowl.

4. It doesn't make up for having to watch him all season.

5. This is a peculiar one... But they seem to think Brady is going to play forever, and Jimmy G wasn't going to sit around on the bench much longer nor was New England going to pay him starter money to be a backup.

Jakeem Grant took a big step forward this year.
Chase Allen played well as an undrafted rookie.
Jesse Davis can save us a lot of money by not paying Juwan James.
Big Jordan Phillips and Godchaeux were ballin.

Kiko is two steps late everywhere.
Andre Branch is a total waste of the money we are paying him.

I'm hoping that Gase learns a lot how to deal with the players and they start drafting smarter players. You can learn more from failure sometimes than success. I think Gase will get it figured out.

No positives to take away honestly. You couldn't replicate this teams mediocrity over the course of the last decade if you tried. Won too many games to draft an elite qb prospect but didn't win enough to actually have a good year.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are probably gonna go further this year than we have since the year 2000 LOL.

Sorry, I really dislike to be negative, even when its warranted but.....The least enjoyable season ,as a fan. in the 45 years I have watched this team. Not much to enjoy. That being said, Drake, Howard and Cutler(no longer a Dolphin) are good things to build on
Yeah, me too, even less enjoyable than the 2007 season for some reason.

Jakeem Grant took a big step forward this year.
Chase Allen played well as an undrafted rookie.
Jesse Davis can save us a lot of money by not paying Juwan James.
Big Jordan Phillips and Godchaeux were ballin.

Kiko is two steps late everywhere.
Andre Branch is a total waste of the money we are paying him.

I'm hoping that Gase learns a lot how to deal with the players and they start drafting smarter players. You can learn more from failure sometimes than success. I think Gase will get it figured out.
I would add Stephon Anthony to this list.
Thought he looked better and better as the season progressed.
He showed more speed than any LB we have.
We may have gotten a serviceale LB for the future for a 5th round pick.

The biggest positives of the season was the play of the majority of the Draft and UDFA class of 2017. Godchaux, Tankersley, Taylor, as well as Chase Allen; all had their moments with some, out performing their draft status. The Discovery of Jesse Davis as a viable starter. Sam Young filling in admirably for the once again injured Jawan James. Cody Parker kicking the $&#@$&# out if the football. Seeing Terrance Fede, covering kicks and punts. Watching the potential of Cameron Malveaux, torwards the end of the season. He brings a big body at DE and uses his bull rush effectively. Young vets such as Howard and McCain blossoming into solid contributors, who still have upside to tap into. The emergence of both Jakeem Grant and Drake, as weapons on offense. It took Grant a season and a half, but finally found his nitch and became a big play threat. Jordan Philips Finally looks to have turned the corner and played with much more consistency than ever before. If Miami can get this kind of production from the 2018 draft class and the continued growth from the 2017 class, it could very well be that the Miami Dolphins have finally returned to a perennial playoff threat, we fans hope that they could be.

I think we made progress with our DB talent this year. In addition to Xavien Howard mentioned above, Cordrea Tankersley has talent, Bobby McCain made progress add in Tony Lippert coming back from surgery next season. We also made progress by cutting Maxwell. While TJ McDonald was a decent addition to our Pro Bowler, Reshad Jones at Safety.
Overall, this is effectively a remake in the past 2 years that was done mainly through the Draft (wasn't that long ago we had Brent Grimes (who could forget his charming wife, Miko?), Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, Brice McCain, Jordan Kovacs, etc). You can never have enough good DBs but this is not the mess it was. In fact, Xavien Howard and Tank could be pretty good.

Last edited:
1-Drake becoming a starter and doing a great job with it
2-The hope that Tank and Howard can be the best pair of starting corners we've had since Surtain and Madison
3-DV and Phillips playing so m uch better
4-Davis will be a starter in 2018 and how about Sternup? Looked like a giant out there and should at least compete for a starting job at RT
5-Grant at last getting involved and making plays
6-Anthony looked like a good pick up after all. I dump on the FO often but good job there

7-The throwback uniforms are awesome and need to become our uniforms for good!!

Ozzy rules!!

I didn't include the win against NE because in the end they still got home field advantage and we're picking 11 instead of 7 thought it always feels good to beat those ****s

Big positives:

Xavien Howard
Davon Godchaux
Kenyan Drake
Jesse Davis

Smaller positives:

Vincent Taylor
Cordrea Tankersley
Bobby McCain
Eric Smith
Jakeem Grant
Charles Harris
Laremy Tunsil

Say what you want, but some of the first and second year players on this team look like they're going to be good football players. In some cases (my "big positives" and Laremy Tunsil) they already are good football players. That's an influx of young talent that should give us some hope for the near future. If we can add four or five more good rookies this off-season, the Dolphins will be in great shape, honestly.

Oh, and consider this: Tony Lippett was developing nicely before he got injured. Raekwon McMillan is a very talented young linebacker we have on deck, too. Odds are that at least one of those guys will make a full recovery, and that's another jolt of talent into the defense. I like Charles Harris, even if I don't think he will ever be an elite player. I think he will be very good, which may be disappointing for our first round pick, but that's still a young player who helps build the foundation of a winning team.

Maybe this Chris Grier guy knows what he's doing? I'm going to have to seriously consider that might be the case.

Big positives:

Xavien Howard
Davon Godchaux
Kenyan Drake
Jesse Davis

Smaller positives:

Vincent Taylor
Cordrea Tankersley
Bobby McCain
Eric Smith
Jakeem Grant
Charles Harris
Laremy Tunsil

Say what you want, but some of the first and second year players on this team look like they're going to be good football players. In some cases (my "big positives" and Laremy Tunsil) they already are good football players. That's an influx of young talent that should give us some hope for the near future. If we can add four or five more good rookies this off-season, the Dolphins will be in great shape, honestly.

Oh, and consider this: Tony Lippett was developing nicely before he got injured. Raekwon McMillan is a very talented young linebacker we have on deck, too. Odds are that at least one of those guys will make a full recovery, and that's another jolt of talent into the defense. I like Charles Harris, even if I don't think he will ever be an elite player. I think he will be very good, which may be disappointing for our first round pick, but that's still a young player who helps build the foundation of a winning team.

Maybe this Chris Grier guy knows what he's doing? I'm going to have to seriously consider that might be the case.
Grier seems to be flying under the radar? The last 2 drafts have been sneaky good, with the potential to be fantastic. Tony Lippett worries me, because an Achilles injury can be a hard on a CB’s backpedal? As for Tunsil, I’ve been wondering how much he was affected by missing so much of training camp for the birth of his child. He certainly played well at times, but was inconsistent for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom