Possible bump in the Fins road?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolfinDave, Aug 15, 2006.

1. DolfinDave

DolfinDave FinHeaven VIP

I feel pretty confident about this team, but there are a few things I am worried about this year. One of them is Chad Pennington. Every year that Pennington is healthy, the Jets have had a good record and usually give the Fins a lot of trouble.

It is pretty clear that we are the better overall team. But there is just something about seeing Pennington under center for the Jets that makes me uneasy. He is no Brady or Manning, but he can win games and always puts up a good fight against us.

I guess what I am trying to get at here is that we should not overlook the Jets just because they are supposed to have a bad year. We were supposed to have a bad year last year and look what happened. When healthy, Pennington is dangerous and I hope Coach Saban doesn't let the team overlook them like I'm sure some of us Fins fans will.

2. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

i have very little faith that penny will last even half the season, which is unfortunate for them. i hope he does but 2 cuff injuries, all it takes is one hit, or landing the wrong way again. i dont think we will have to worry about him as a nemisis

3. xxAQUA JOSHUAxx

xxAQUA JOSHUAxx Well-Known Member

I Dont Think Nick Saban Would Treat That Gamme Easy

4. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

The Jets always play us tough no matter how bad they are. Look at last year they were terrible and we went 1-1 against them, and the game we won we only won by 3. It doesn't really matter if pennington is in or not if we overlook the Jets they will probably beat us.

5. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

season 2 under nick, thats what he is here for. if he is as great as we and the media think he is, we wont have to worry about our team being unoreoared or overlooking opponents.

6. Heart of a Fin

Heart of a Fin Well-Known Member

I can honestly say as a Dolphin fan and someone who is really understanding the messages nick tryes to get across to the players that i dont see them under estimating anyone.expectally scince the jets had our number for around 4 years i dont think the the fins will think there a push over at all.And if they at any point they easy up on them i think saban will be there to light a fire under there a**.know what im sayin?

7. DolfinDave

DolfinDave FinHeaven VIP

I hear you guys. I agree that Coach Saban doesn't seem like the kind of coach who would let us overlook someone, especially a division rival. I am just saying that with Pennington at the helm, the Jets can be better than people expect.

8. slyfox13

slyfox13 Pro Bowler

wont make a differance this year

9. Gatornation21

Gatornation21 GATORS-DOLPHINS#1

J-E-T-S- SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They wont win 6 games this year, pennington will get hurt once again cause you cant be 100% with 2 torn rotator cuffs, the phins will win a close battle with the patsies for the afc east title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:refuse: :dolphins:

10. BIGJ

BIGJ Well-Known Member

yeah he is kinda like Ken O Brien

11. ShuggieOtis

ShuggieOtis Well-Known Member

i saw that pennington may of hurt his arm during preseason after a hit? but i agree i wouldnt take them for granted, last year one of their few wins was when Penn was healthy against us (shutters)

12. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

The one advantage we have over Buffalo and NY is that they have new coaches and are trying to rebuild their teams. I dont see any other 1st year head coach coming close to doing what Nick did last year and winning 9 games. Especially 6 straight.
    That being said. Division rivals ALWAYS play tough... anything can happen. Any team can beat anyone on any given Sunday... THAT is a given.

13. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you.

I think you are overestimating what Chad is capable of. The Jets are going to play Miami hard regardless of who is at QB.

I think our defensive line is going to give him fits because Jason Taylor isn't going to see a lot of double teams with the other stars we have out there.

14. donart

donart Italia!!!

Chad Still hasn't thrown the deep pass. We don't know if he has the arm strength. I want to see more of him before worrying about him giving us fits.

15. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I get more of a warm fuzzy thinking that Kevin Mawae isn't going to be there for the Jets against us this year. That being said, last year he was like a pitcher throwing 75 mph fastballs and striking us out, mowing us down. He'd throw a pass that you could time by sun dial and complete it- surreal.
    Hopefully the new secondary changes i.e Will Allen and Jason Allen's field coverage won't allow that bizarro world kind of stuff to happen this time around.

16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock A True Fan

Saban will never go into any game taking any opponent lightly. Pennington or not the Jets will play us tough, but we WILL overcome them and win both games this season, IMHO.

17. popularwar

popularwar Perennial All-Pro

The Jets always play us tough and you can count on that happening again this year. That being said the game we lost to them last season was.... odd, we lost 13-7 I think but it was a completely different Jets team. Abraham was dominating our o-line and Pennington still threw some long balls. Curtis Martin was in that game too, remember?
    I feel pretty confident that we will beat the Jets at home this year but you can never count them out in the meadowlands.

18. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Chad has never stayed health in his career, what makes you think thats going to change? If he is healthy, we still won't know if he is the QB he once was. All that being said, The Jets always play us tough and we shouldn't underestimate any team.

19. Hasta

Hasta Well-Known Member

I never worried about them being "unoreoared." :D

unprepared?

20. Aussiefinfan54

Aussiefinfan54 Pro Bowler

one man wont make that much of a difference they are very inexperienced on the OL and losing mawae will hurt them, plus one man will not make them a superstar team when u look at their roster they are fairly average team shouldnt pose to much opf a threat

21. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia Broadway Joe

Good to hear!

To play devil's advocate for a bit.

- Chad is certainly not 100%, maybe 85% at this point.

- We have a brand new O-line which might not keep him healthy.

- Our running game is a HUGE question mark. Suggs, Blaylock, Houston, Martin?

- The defense is brand new, again. I think it has the most talent, but new systems mean new learning.

All that being said, you are wise not to count the Jets out. Just like Chad has done very badly against the Pats, he has done well against the Phins. If he is and can stay healthy he has options in Coles/Cotchery/Dwight that will put up points.

BZ

22. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

I'm not worried about the Jets / Bills at all this year. We're far more superior than those two teams, and should sweep them easily. If our team lives up to all the hype it's getting this off-season, those two teams should not be a concern for us at all....

Pennington is about 1-2 more hard hits away from retirement, and with the state of the Jets OL this year, he's in real trouble in my opinion. Not to mention RB C. Martin will no longer be there to bail him out in the running game....

I don't want to sound too much like a homer, but Miami should have no trouble with Pennington / the Jets this year. SWEEP is the only word that comes to mind when I think about playing the Jets / Bills in 2006.....

It's the Patriots, and QB T. Brady we need to focus most of our attention on.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

23. aquawave

aquawave Well-Known Member

Im not worry about the jets, what Im worry about is that the dolphins play at the opponent's level very often and that leads to bumps in the road.

24. dolfangravy

dolfangravy Scout Team

i wouldnt say that we have an advantage on their coaches being new.cuz nick was new last year

25. DolphinsFan23

DolphinsFan23 Pro Bowler

I hope the defensive coaches are going to be ready for the NY Jets' new offensive line. They should be better this year with rookies D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold. Brick is pretty quick and has good technique, so he'll be a definite challenge in the trenches.

We're going to need all the monster pass rushers we can get this year to keep the pressure on the QBs ...especially Brady. If Brady gets too much time too often, we could be in trouble. Brady doesn't make too many mistakes with the ball. I saw something on ESPN or somewhere that Brady had the lowest "bad decision" numbers in the NFL last year ...he knows how to play his hand wisely like a good poker player.

26. Canadianfishfan

That in itself is my point. Saban had a remarkable season for a first year head coach.
    And this year our coaching staff is phenominal.
    I just dont see any team in our division matching us on a coaching standpoint.

27. VManis

VManis Starter

For anyone who fears the Jets this year I have 2 words to say to you: Tony Wise.

He is their new OL coach and for as much talent as D'Brickshaw has it won't take long before Wise totally beats it out of him. I watched a bit of their preseason game this weekend and there were times when the Jets OL simply step asside and watched the pass rush blow by them. Then I would think to myself I remember that play from Wise's tenure in Miami.

28. Urlithani

Urlithani Starter

I'm more worried about the Jets in '07.

Brady Quinn.

I don't see them having a good year, but I hope they have enough of a good year that they don't get a high enough draft pick for Quinn or another good QB.

29. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral King of the Wild Frontier

Pennington no longer scares me. He didn't have a great arm before the surgeries, but at least he knew how to play a very good QB. 2 surgeries later and I don't think he can throw medium to deep with any conviction or accuracy. I watched him in their first pre-season game and he looked pretty bad on anything longer than 10-15 yards. He's their #1 now because he's still very good at reading defenses and making solid decisions. But I think his arm will betray him eventually.

30. BAMAPHIN 22

BAMAPHIN 22 FinHeaven Elite

You are absolutely correct... Last season the Dolphins split there wins and losses with Buffalo and NYJ. Two teams IMO that were mediocre at best.

31. 34isback

34isback Well-Known Member

this post was a joke right?

32. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

You never know, because is a good qb, but I just don't think he is or will be the same qb again. He didn't have one, but two injuries and surgeries on his throwing shoulder. You could see the first one affected him with his velocity, and on top fo that another injury that happened. He had a an average arm to begin with so losing zip could be a big thing to him, whereas it wouldn't to strong armed qbs like Favre, Culpepper, Vick, Palmer, McNabb, etc. He's a smart qb, but no matter how smart he is, if he can't have adequate velocity on his throws or on the deeper ones, since the speed of the NFL is so fast. Even is Pennington throws to a guy that's wide open 15 yards out, with the lack of velocity, an NFL db will recover and will either break up the pass, or worse get in front of it and int, perhaps for 6.

33. DolfinDave

DolfinDave FinHeaven VIP

Yes Pennington has arm problems. I seem to remember everyone questioning his arm strenght before and he came out and beat the Chargers in the playoffs. There is a good chance he will get hurt again. But isn't it a similar situation for Daunte. He totally tore up his knee. He could get hurt almost as easily as Pennington given that he not be as mobile as before.

Pennington could get hurt and still affect our season. We play them in our sixth game of the year. It is not unreasonable to say he could stay healthy through then and play the spoiler. Like someone has pointed out, he makes good decisions with the ball and is great in the red zone. Reminds me a lot of Jay Fiedler in that he just gets the job done. Look at the Chargers last year when they should have won their first game. Even the early games count when you have playoff ambitions.

Here is to hoping he isn't healthy or the Jets suck as much as most people think they will.

34. hellsapoppin

hellsapoppin Seasoned Veteran

Pennington isn't the only problem that the Jets have on offense.

35. njFinsForever

njFinsForever Offensive Mindset

The only ones underestimating any nfl team are the fans. I don't believe for a second that saban and the fins would go into a game unprepared.

36. bigmiamifan

bigmiamifan Perennial All-Pro

The Jets don't have a running game. Their defense looks suspect and their offense scored what, a whopping 3 pts last week? Not worried about them.

37. PhinFan0202

PhinFan0202 Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

That is the game of the year regardless of who's record is what. We never sleep on the J-E-T-S, it's impossible. I am not worried one bit about overlooking any of our opponents because Nick Saban is all about humillity. The players could care less now about the 6 game winning streak of last year. They are focused on what they have to do this year in order to succeed not what they accomplished last year.

38. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia Broadway Joe

I think the point is that Chad beat you guys last year when he was in worse shape, less zip, more injured.

This year, he has had more time to recover, is looking better and seems to have re-found his zip.

The running game, new defense are suspect but our defense was horrible last year so can't get much worse.

The running game, well... we are looking around.

BZ

39. phinatic8818

phinatic8818 long live the fins!!!!

i dont believe theyl be much a bump on the road but more like a challenge that we could take on and i highly doubt well look past it

40. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

With Mawae now gone, Zach is going to kill Pennington.

41. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia Broadway Joe

42. 3rd and long

3rd and long Well-Known Member

Pennington is soft. The Jets don't really concern me. However, I do agree that maybe our team is rated a little too high, too early. Nobody, is going to hand us victories and we got to get out of the gates well. We won six straight at the end of the year last year, but none were playoff teams, escept New England and they were playing backups the last week of the season. I like our talent and our coach, but I think a good start is a necessity.

43. Canadianfishfan

The jets are in a heap of trouble.. albeit not nearly as bad as the bills.. but for some reason.. no matter where a team is in standings or building... division games are always tough.

44. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia Broadway Joe

Still sticking by that quote?

BZ

45. TampaFinsFan01

TampaFinsFan01 A True Fan

Good call, BZ. I want to see if those saying that we have "an exceptional coaching staff" will now revise their comments. And its okay to be wrong. I thought Saban was a good coach. But the facts bear out that hes a piece of horse excrement. And thats probably a horrible thing to say about horse excrement.

46. BleedinGreenNC

BleedinGreenNC Boondock Saint

Tis a happy day in Jet land!!

47. TampaFinsFan01

I bet. And the best news is you guys get to play us again, and watch us find another way to lose to the pathetic Jets.

48. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia Broadway Joe

We shall see.

It will be tougher to play in Miami and to a team that might be looking for revenge.

It is starting to look like those last two AFC games of the year (MIA/OAK) could actually mean something.

Good thing as I will be there. :)

BZ

49. TampaFinsFan01

Dude...this team couldn't beat a visiting MAC team, much less an NFL team with more than one win.

50. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia Broadway Joe

To be honest, the Phins are not as bad as their record says. They are not getting blown out by teams (yet). I do think the Bears, Jags, Pats and Colts are licking their chops.

Colts will probably rest their starters.

BZ