Possible bump in the Fins road? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible bump in the Fins road?

Saban will never go into any game taking any opponent lightly. Pennington or not the Jets will play us tough, but we WILL overcome them and win both games this season, IMHO.

The Jets always play us tough and you can count on that happening again this year. That being said the game we lost to them last season was.... odd, we lost 13-7 I think but it was a completely different Jets team. Abraham was dominating our o-line and Pennington still threw some long balls. Curtis Martin was in that game too, remember?
I feel pretty confident that we will beat the Jets at home this year but you can never count them out in the meadowlands.

Chad has never stayed health in his career, what makes you think thats going to change? If he is healthy, we still won't know if he is the QB he once was. All that being said, The Jets always play us tough and we shouldn't underestimate any team.

claytonAndDuper said:
season 2 under nick, thats what he is here for. if he is as great as we and the media think he is, we wont have to worry about our team being unoreoared or overlooking opponents.

I never worried about them being "unoreoared." :D

unprepared?

one man wont make that much of a difference they are very inexperienced on the OL and losing mawae will hurt them, plus one man will not make them a superstar team when u look at their roster they are fairly average team shouldnt pose to much opf a threat

dplunk said:
I feel pretty confident about this team, but there are a few things I am worried about this year. One of them is Chad Pennington. Every year that Pennington is healthy, the Jets have had a good record and usually give the Fins a lot of trouble.

It is pretty clear that we are the better overall team. But there is just something about seeing Pennington under center for the Jets that makes me uneasy. He is no Brady or Manning, but he can win games and always puts up a good fight against us.

I guess what I am trying to get at here is that we should not overlook the Jets just because they are supposed to have a bad year. We were supposed to have a bad year last year and look what happened. When healthy, Pennington is dangerous and I hope Coach Saban doesn't let the team overlook them like I'm sure some of us Fins fans will.

Good to hear!

To play devil's advocate for a bit.

- Chad is certainly not 100%, maybe 85% at this point.

- We have a brand new O-line which might not keep him healthy.

- Our running game is a HUGE question mark. Suggs, Blaylock, Houston, Martin?

- The defense is brand new, again. I think it has the most talent, but new systems mean new learning.

All that being said, you are wise not to count the Jets out. Just like Chad has done very badly against the Pats, he has done well against the Phins. If he is and can stay healthy he has options in Coles/Cotchery/Dwight that will put up points.

BZ

I'm not worried about the Jets / Bills at all this year. We're far more superior than those two teams, and should sweep them easily. If our team lives up to all the hype it's getting this off-season, those two teams should not be a concern for us at all....

Pennington is about 1-2 more hard hits away from retirement, and with the state of the Jets OL this year, he's in real trouble in my opinion. Not to mention RB C. Martin will no longer be there to bail him out in the running game....

I don't want to sound too much like a homer, but Miami should have no trouble with Pennington / the Jets this year. SWEEP is the only word that comes to mind when I think about playing the Jets / Bills in 2006.....

It's the Patriots, and QB T. Brady we need to focus most of our attention on.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Im not worry about the jets, what Im worry about is that the dolphins play at the opponent's level very often and that leads to bumps in the road.

Canadianfishfan said:
The one advantage we have over Buffalo and NY is that they have new coaches and are trying to rebuild their teams. I dont see any other 1st year head coach coming close to doing what Nick did last year and winning 9 games. Especially 6 straight.
That being said. Division rivals ALWAYS play tough... anything can happen. Any team can beat anyone on any given Sunday... THAT is a given.
i wouldnt say that we have an advantage on their coaches being new.cuz nick was new last year

I hope the defensive coaches are going to be ready for the NY Jets' new offensive line. They should be better this year with rookies D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold. Brick is pretty quick and has good technique, so he'll be a definite challenge in the trenches.

We're going to need all the monster pass rushers we can get this year to keep the pressure on the QBs ...especially Brady. If Brady gets too much time too often, we could be in trouble. Brady doesn't make too many mistakes with the ball. I saw something on ESPN or somewhere that Brady had the lowest "bad decision" numbers in the NFL last year ...he knows how to play his hand wisely like a good poker player.

poongravy said:
i wouldnt say that we have an advantage on their coaches being new.cuz nick was new last year

That in itself is my point. Saban had a remarkable season for a first year head coach.
And this year our coaching staff is phenominal.
I just dont see any team in our division matching us on a coaching standpoint.

For anyone who fears the Jets this year I have 2 words to say to you: Tony Wise.

He is their new OL coach and for as much talent as D'Brickshaw has it won't take long before Wise totally beats it out of him. I watched a bit of their preseason game this weekend and there were times when the Jets OL simply step asside and watched the pass rush blow by them. Then I would think to myself I remember that play from Wise's tenure in Miami.

I'm more worried about the Jets in '07.

Brady Quinn.

I don't see them having a good year, but I hope they have enough of a good year that they don't get a high enough draft pick for Quinn or another good QB.

dplunk said:
I feel pretty confident about this team, but there are a few things I am worried about this year. One of them is Chad Pennington. Every year that Pennington is healthy, the Jets have had a good record and usually give the Fins a lot of trouble.

It is pretty clear that we are the better overall team. But there is just something about seeing Pennington under center for the Jets that makes me uneasy. He is no Brady or Manning, but he can win games and always puts up a good fight against us.

I guess what I am trying to get at here is that we should not overlook the Jets just because they are supposed to have a bad year. We were supposed to have a bad year last year and look what happened. When healthy, Pennington is dangerous and I hope Coach Saban doesn't let the team overlook them like I'm sure some of us Fins fans will.

Pennington no longer scares me. He didn't have a great arm before the surgeries, but at least he knew how to play a very good QB. 2 surgeries later and I don't think he can throw medium to deep with any conviction or accuracy. I watched him in their first pre-season game and he looked pretty bad on anything longer than 10-15 yards. He's their #1 now because he's still very good at reading defenses and making solid decisions. But I think his arm will betray him eventually.

PhinsRock said:
Saban will never go into any game taking any opponent lightly. Pennington or not the Jets will play us tough, but we WILL overcome them and win both games this season, IMHO.

You are absolutely correct... Last season the Dolphins split there wins and losses with Buffalo and NYJ. Two teams IMO that were mediocre at best.

Back
Top Bottom