Possible reason why Bess' position might be challenged.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fintastic17, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

In a recent article pertaining to Wes Welker possibly feeling disrespected for his decreased role last season, and wanting to "stick it to" the Patsies by signing with a division rival, there was a little nugget that I found interesting.

"Dolphins coaches reportedly "weren't thrilled" that a back injury kept Davone Bess out of the last three games of the 2012 season. That might help explain their interest in Brandon Gibson, as well as a passing glance at Welker."

Could this be the reason we are looking at Gibson and possibly Swope? Do you think the staff is ready to move on from Bess this season, or at least give him some competition rather than just handing the position to him? I love Bess but I would personally like to give Thigpen a chance, he made some plays from the slot late last season.

Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...l-wes-welker-stick-it-to-new-england-patriots

2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think it has more to do with the fact that Bess, while a good possession guy, just doesn't provide the kind of the threat out of the slot that teams are looking for in the NFL right now. Compare his production to that of even say, Cecil Shorts. Catches a lot of passes, gets first downs, but he isn't a big play threat or a red zone target.

3. JERSEYFINFAN23

JERSEYFINFAN23 Starter

Bess was out 3 games, miami i think was still alive in the playoff hunt. also he is pretty well paid for what he brings too the team.
    dont think he would get more then a 4th Rd pick -- or maybe he is traded too Oakland, or some one out west for a player.

4. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

ive always thought of Bess as a reliable receiver. Kind of like Fasano, hes not a big name guy but he rarely drops passes. A receivers job is is to catch the football. Im more concerned with having guys who can CATCH the balls thrown at them, than guys who can open the field and run fast. A receiver can run fast, but that doesnt mean he can catch.

5. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Why would I think Bess' position might be challenged?

Two words:
    Tavon. Austin.

6. Digital

Digital Starter

We'd be interested in Swope because he has proven production in Sherman's offense and a great chemistry with Tannehill. He's got decent size and very good speed and quickness. He runs his routes well, creates separation very well, catches the ball and moves the chains. He was Texas A&M's all time leader in either receptions or yardage ... can't recall which, and had his heyday with Tannehill. He is a former RB and generates very good RAC and has enough speed to break any pass for a TD. He also is Tannehill's best friend, so given the offense, Sherman, Tannehill, playbook, etc., he should hit the ground running from game 1. He is an improvement over Bess on just about every metric, including salary ... although I think Bess has a little better hands.

The thing with Bess is that he's a small target without any speed. He is purely a possession guy in the slot. On top of that, he misses a lot of games for injury, which is problematic because his entire game is being that move the chains guy. Being small, he'll always have his durability questioned. Especially in the WCO where WR's take a lot of hits over the middle. When the staff perceives a guy as well enough to play and he sits out games, that's not going to endear him to the staff, right or wrong.

7. jc4005

jc4005 Well-Known Member

Having Hartline and Bess on the field at the same time was a huge issue. Neither are explosive and can generate points. Look for Bess to still have a role, but a diminished one.

8. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Because Swope is better.

9. fin415

fin415 Rookie

Because every year you challenge everyone / every position to see if the team can't be made better?

10. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

Obvious answer, but Bess hasnt been challenged at all in his tenure with the Dolphins since gaining the starting role, so not sure it's valid in this instance.

11. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Bess missed 3 games last season but before that he played 64 games since signing with the Dolphins without missing a game

So your statement ,"he misses a lot of games" COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG

PLAYING 77 OUT OF 80 GAMES IN 5 YEARS IS HARDLY MISSING A LOT OF GAMES

Attack him for other things but not "missing a lot of games"

12. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Wallace, Hartline and Austin = explosive passing game.

13. drumzan

drumzan Active Member

I'm a fan of Swope, but apparently has HUGE injury red flags.

14. Penntastic

Penntastic Well-Known Member

i see bess bring traded...if we sign a slot receiver. bess runs great routes and sure handed but doesnt get away from anyone.

15. Ricardoperez23

Ricardoperez23 Active Member

Hopefully we can pick him up in second if hes there,he will be a very good slot ....

16. Canuck Phin Fan

Canuck Phin Fan Well-Known Member

Swope had a productive college career, but so did Bess... Swope isn't even in Bess' league until he straps on a helmet in the pros and proves it... Bess has accomplished a fair bit in this league for having a ****ty supporting cast... Don't get me wrong i like Swope, but I would rather take my chances with Bess and an improved supportin cast as Bess is young and has proved he can play in this league

17. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I'd rather get the bigger, faster, stronger, and younger prospect that already has better chemistry with Tannehill than Bess.

18. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Bess tore his ACL last year. Bess runs backwards too much and loses first downs lately.

I love Bess and his value to the team right now is on PR.

But yeah, they are pissed he took off 3 last games while Hartline played with bad back. Besides, this is philbins team now. Bess will be gone this year or next. His contract is up.

19. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Concussions. thats it. now, concussions are a huge deal, but in this offense where others will dictate coverage, he will have an easier time IMO. He was paid more attention to vs. top teams in college.

20. catch22

catch22 New Mexico Fin Fan

Imagine this team with Wallace and Hartline on the outside and Swope in the slot. If you add say a Jared Cook or a TE threat to that we would be scary. and very fast.

Watching swope tape you see this guy does not want to go down and always gets the most he can as far as touchdowns and yards after the catch