Possible reason why Bess' position might be challenged. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible reason why Bess' position might be challenged.

LordTua

Lord Tua
Reaction score
In a recent article pertaining to Wes Welker possibly feeling disrespected for his decreased role last season, and wanting to "stick it to" the Patsies by signing with a division rival, there was a little nugget that I found interesting.

"Dolphins coaches reportedly "weren't thrilled" that a back injury kept Davone Bess out of the last three games of the 2012 season. That might help explain their interest in Brandon Gibson, as well as a passing glance at Welker."

Could this be the reason we are looking at Gibson and possibly Swope? Do you think the staff is ready to move on from Bess this season, or at least give him some competition rather than just handing the position to him? I love Bess but I would personally like to give Thigpen a chance, he made some plays from the slot late last season.

Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...l-wes-welker-stick-it-to-new-england-patriots

I think it has more to do with the fact that Bess, while a good possession guy, just doesn't provide the kind of the threat out of the slot that teams are looking for in the NFL right now. Compare his production to that of even say, Cecil Shorts. Catches a lot of passes, gets first downs, but he isn't a big play threat or a red zone target.

Bess was out 3 games, miami i think was still alive in the playoff hunt. also he is pretty well paid for what he brings too the team.
dont think he would get more then a 4th Rd pick -- or maybe he is traded too Oakland, or some one out west for a player.

ive always thought of Bess as a reliable receiver. Kind of like Fasano, hes not a big name guy but he rarely drops passes. A receivers job is is to catch the football. Im more concerned with having guys who can CATCH the balls thrown at them, than guys who can open the field and run fast. A receiver can run fast, but that doesnt mean he can catch.

Why would I think Bess' position might be challenged?

Two words:
Tavon. Austin.

We'd be interested in Swope because he has proven production in Sherman's offense and a great chemistry with Tannehill. He's got decent size and very good speed and quickness. He runs his routes well, creates separation very well, catches the ball and moves the chains. He was Texas A&M's all time leader in either receptions or yardage ... can't recall which, and had his heyday with Tannehill. He is a former RB and generates very good RAC and has enough speed to break any pass for a TD. He also is Tannehill's best friend, so given the offense, Sherman, Tannehill, playbook, etc., he should hit the ground running from game 1. He is an improvement over Bess on just about every metric, including salary ... although I think Bess has a little better hands.

The thing with Bess is that he's a small target without any speed. He is purely a possession guy in the slot. On top of that, he misses a lot of games for injury, which is problematic because his entire game is being that move the chains guy. Being small, he'll always have his durability questioned. Especially in the WCO where WR's take a lot of hits over the middle. When the staff perceives a guy as well enough to play and he sits out games, that's not going to endear him to the staff, right or wrong.

Having Hartline and Bess on the field at the same time was a huge issue. Neither are explosive and can generate points. Look for Bess to still have a role, but a diminished one.

Because every year you challenge everyone / every position to see if the team can't be made better?

Because every year you challenge everyone / every position to see if the team can't be made better?
Obvious answer, but Bess hasnt been challenged at all in his tenure with the Dolphins since gaining the starting role, so not sure it's valid in this instance.

On top of that, he misses a lot of games for injury, which is problematic because his entire game is being that move the chains guy.

Bess missed 3 games last season but before that he played 64 games since signing with the Dolphins without missing a game

So your statement ,"he misses a lot of games" COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG

PLAYING 77 OUT OF 80 GAMES IN 5 YEARS IS HARDLY MISSING A LOT OF GAMES

Attack him for other things but not "missing a lot of games"

I'm a fan of Swope, but apparently has HUGE injury red flags.

i see bess bring traded...if we sign a slot receiver. bess runs great routes and sure handed but doesnt get away from anyone.

Back
Top Bottom