Possible starting lineup....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Heisenphin, May 15, 2017.

1. Heisenphin

Heisenphin formally known as CANEPHINS

ESPN's NFL Nation projected the starting lineup for each team in the league. Here is James Walker's take...

Offense (Three WRs, one TE, one RB)

QB: Ryan Tannehill: Expectations will rise for Tannehill after he was 8-5 as a starter last season. He's returning from an ACL and MCL sprain.

RB: Jay Ajayi: After leading the team with 1,272 rushing yards last season, Ajayi is working on his hands to help more in the passing game.

LT: Laremy Tunsil: The 2016 first-round pick is moving to left tackle, his natural position in college, after the departure of veteran Branden Albert.

LG: Ted Larsen: The free-agent pickup from Chicago is the early favorite to start over rookie Isaac Asiata.

C: Mike Pouncey: The Dolphins need Pouncey to stay healthy this season and will be extra cautious after a second hip surgery in as many years.

RG: Jermon Bushrod: He started all 16 games last year and was Miami’s second-highest-rated offensive lineman, according to head coach Adam Gase.

RT: Ja’Wuan James: The Dolphins expect James to take the next step from a solid right tackle to a great right tackle in 2017.

TE: Julius Thomas: Miami acquired Thomas in a trade with Jacksonville. Expect big numbers after reuniting with Gase and his offense.

WR: Jarvis Landry: The two-time Pro Bowl receiver has a good chance to lead Miami in receptions for the fourth straight season.

WR: Kenny Stills: Miami signed Stills, its best deep threat, to a $32 million extension this offseason after he led the team with nine receiving touchdowns.

WR: DeVante Parker: The inconsistent former first-round pick has yet to fully reach his potential, but the Dolphins expect things to come together in Year 3.

Defense (4-3)

DE: Cameron Wake: The ageless Pro Bowl pass-rusher turned 35 this offseason and led Miami last season with 11.5 sacks.

DT: Ndamukong Suh: Miami’s highest-paid player was dominant last season with 41 tackles and five sacks.

DT: Jordan Phillips: The Dolphins want to see more consistency from the former second-round pick, who enters on the hot seat.

DE: Andre Branch: He signed a $24 million contract extension this offseason after a productive 2016.

LB: Kiko Alonso: A move to outside linebacker should help Alonso, who led the Dolphins with 115 tackles last season.

MLB: Lawrence Timmons: Miami’s biggest free-agent pickup has 100 tackles or more in five straight seasons.

LB: Koa Misi: He only played in three games last season because of a neck injury and will be pushed in training camp by second-round pick Raekwon McMillan.

CB: Byron Maxwell: Miami’s No. 1 cornerback had his ups and downs in 2016 and could be entering his final year with the team.

FS: Reshad Jones: The former Pro Bowl safety signed a $60 million extension this offseason and is returning from shoulder surgery.

SS: Nate Allen: The free-agent signee replaces Isa Abdul-Quddus, who was released after a severe neck injury.

CB: Xavien Howard: The 2016 second-round pick showed flashes as a rookie, but needs to stay healthy in Year 2.

Special teams

K: Andrew Franks: The second-year kicker needs to work on his accuracy (76.2 percent), but a strong finish in the playoffs offers reason for hope.

P: Matt Darr: The former undrafted punter had a strong rookie season in 2016 averaging 44.3 yards per punt.

KR: Jakeem Grant: The 5-foot-8 Grant is electric with the ball, but he must work on ball security.

PR: Grant: The Dolphins will rotate Landry into this spot when they need surer hands.

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolp...at-linebacker-highlighted-by-lawrence-timmons

Dolfandenny likes this.
  2. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

This certainly seems like our week 1 starting lineup. im with you that Raekwon and Asiata aren't starting against tampa bay. Probably by week 5-7 you'll see them start getting more reps.

nice job

3. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

That looks about right. I love looking at the slew of talented studs. This year should be fun!!

4. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

The best use of our LBs would be Mcmillan at middle and Timmons at strong side but this probably will be the opening day defense.

OneYardShort likes this.
  5. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

So none of our draft picks will be starting eh?

6. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Ya i dont see how none of the draft picks are day 1 starters.

7. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

McMilliam and Asiata start week 1...Hayes may get starting consideration as well.

Harris will just sub package run out the gate.

Walker is a tool...

8. Digital

Digital Starter

That looks like a pretty solid lineup, but I'd suggest that Isaac Asiata starts at LG, Raekwon McMillan starts at Sam, Timmons at Mike and Kiko at Will. I'm guessing that if Misi actually breaks into the starting lineup it will be at Sam, while pushing McMillan into starting Mike. But, I think we brought in and guaranteed money to Timmons to start. Misi is firmly in "prove it" mode regarding his health before he is entrusted with any shot at starting.

royalshank and Pandarilla like this.
  9. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

I think it's more likely that McMillan starts in week one than Asiata. Asiata will start eventually when Larson slides in at guard to replace the likely injured Pouncey. I can't see Koa Misi keeping McMillan off the field though, healthy or not

phinfan33 and kcbrown like this.
  10. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

Not only do I not think Misi will win the starting job, but I doubt he is on the final 53 man roster. He is coming off a career threading injury, had barely played the past two seasons, and can't contribute on special teams.

I also think Drake is our KR.

HeavenCent likes this.
  11. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Misi would be the ideal backup.

Hopefully, Hayes and Fasano get the start. Both offer superior run blocking and stuffing aspects.

Branch, Harris and Thomas are sprinkles on our Sundaes.

12. Russ57

Russ57 Active Member

Nice compared to previous years. At this pace it's finally possible to think we could win the division in 2-3 years.

13. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

Franks at 76.2 accuracy seems really bad, is that average for the league?? Expecting our kicker to make 3 out of 4 kicks is troubling.

kcbrown likes this.
  14. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

McMillan and Asiata better have nailed down their spots by the end of camp!

kcbrown and Ryan1973 like this.
  15. Hoot

Hoot Keeper of the Old Code Finheaven VIP

If this was a team that just went to the Superbowl, that wouldn't be as big of an issue. Understandable even. But for the Fins of 2017....that would be a tough pill to swallow if none of our draft picks start this year.

kcbrown likes this.
  16. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Interesting we did not bring another kicker into camp or have I overlooked one.

17. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Pouncey and Msi are both very suspectable of not making it this year well enough starting.

18. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

I believe both Pouncey, and Misi will make the final 53. Gase likes Pouncey, a lot! And chances are that yes he may miss some games do to injury, but when healthy he is one of the better centers in the league. Misi will be a great back up for us this year.

Goin` Deep likes this.
  19. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

There's no way Pouncey gets cut.

20. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Agreed but if he is on IR he is not on the field pretty much the same thing

21. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

I would prefer Misi to be depth and the rookie to start. We know what we have in Misi - when healthy he's just kinda "there". If you look at his career stats his rookie year was his best in terms of sacks and impact plays. They have been few and far between since. Let the rookie play - he offers upside. Misi makes a really nice backup.

Pandarilla likes this.
  22. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

I've written this plenty of times before, but it bears repeating.

Misi reminds me of Ted Johnson from Parcells Patriots. Later in his career he was a superb backup, just couldn't last an entire season healthy.

I actually like Misi a lot when healthy. He's got some thump to him, sets a good edge and could backup SLB and MLB. I'd still go with Hewitt as WLB backup, though.

23. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

You never know till canp....if a rookie excels anything is possible

I would think Asiatta and McMillen both have a shot...Harris should see plenty of pass rushing situations..Godchaux and Taylor have a shot at playing time in the rotation.
    Tankersly could blow it up in camp....you never know.

24. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Donator

We finally have some options on defense. So much depth in the front 7 now, we don't even have to start our rookies.

We could go-
    Branch/Phillips/Suh/Hayes on run downs
    Harris/Hayes/Suh/Wake on pass downs
    Misi/Branch/Harris/Timmons at SAM, situationally
    Alonso/Timmons/McMillan in an Over Base off the line heat seeking
    Wake/Branch/Suh/Harris in like a speed package
    Alonso/McMillan in Nickel
    Hewitt backup Will and specials ace
    Godcheaux and Taylor in on goaline
    Fede playing Specials

basically we have so many tools to work with that fits what Gase has been saying playing situational football from week to week throughout the season. Every game your 0-0, and so you have to be a flexible enough team to matchup with what your opponent is working with.

not to mention our secondary that really bolstered the boundary with another press corner. Safety is definitely something to monitor, but Nate Allen isn't a slouch, and TJ Mcdonald may very well be FS of the future for us. We want to play Cover 2 and it won't matter about his single high abilities when we're having him and Jones roaming around and shooting passing and running lanes. Nickel play hurt us all year but we still will have fierce competition for that role. McCain/Thomas/Lucas/Pitts/Allen will all fight for PT at nickel and maybe better play from our LBs won't make Nickel so obvious?

25. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Kwon and Asiata are day one starters, but obviously they need to bring it in camp.

Charles Harris & William Hayes will be impact rotational depth, so you'll see them in all the time.

26. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

Even ESPN makes the lineup sound impressive.

27. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Agreed. I'm just hoping that the huge season saving game tying field goal from distance propels him going forward. Not a big fan. But that was a massive and clutch kick. The entire special teams unit had to rush the field, and he absolutely drilled it.

28. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

I think that's a fairly accurate lineup as things stand right now. Who knows what happens when training camp starts. As much as I've complained about the Carroo trade for all we know he could come into training camp and wow everyone and take Parker's starting spot. Asiata and McMillan also have a chance to start but maybe not opening day. McMillan is just a matter of time, just like we know Pouncey will go down at some point this season, it's inevitable Misi will also be injured.

One curious omission on the starters...who's the long snapper? lol.

29. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I don't think Misi has even been cleared yet. He was supposed to be cleared in May but no announcement that I've heard. He may be held back IF he even gets cleared. I think McMillan will start week 1. Harris may not officially win the starting spot be he could end up splitting snaps with Branch and be used more often on passing downs. Asiata will need time.

30. datruth55

He's supposed to be cleared this month. There's also the possibility he's cut once he's cleared so the Dolphins don't have to have an injury settlement. It would free up about $4 million, possibly enough to sign a veteran DT.

31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

make harris the plan a sub opposite wake. mcmillons stack and shed needs work for strong although if you wantr to hide the perimeter of the field range athlete that's the place to do it early on.. there's definitely some range limitations with mcmillon that we are gonna live with at mike and you can't afford to scrape an ounce of that athlete if you plan on playing him every down eventually

32. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

• 2017 Restructure: $3.05M pay cut ($1.125M salary fully guaranteed)
    • 2017 Per Game Active Bonus: $21,875 ($350,000, 3 LTBE)

Not sure it's worth it to cut him with a 2.3M dead hit. he counts 3.5M if he's on the team all year.

33. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

I am starting to like the depth Miami is building at all the positions. You can see quality depth is a focus of this new FO structure.

34. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

Think it can seen both ways when high draft picks can't start right away. We do have some solid vets on the opposite side of Wake, who may lack the pass rush moves that Harris has but know a thing or two about playing DE and knowing what the coaches want out of them.
    I'm see Harris obviously on 3rd down/passing downs and Cordrea getting substitution snaps to start off. R.M. I can see beating out Misi unless he just tries for the boom or bust play in TC/PS.

For better or worse we were tied in last place for attempted Field goals with 21 attempted last year.
    We did rank 10th in extra points attempted, made 41 out of 42 attempted XPs, which can show that we were able to convert drives into 7 rather than 3.

Looks like the median was 32 attempts, with the highest attempted FGs was 42.

Franks was 8-10 for FGs ranging from 20-29 yards, 6-6 from 30-39, 1-3 from 40-49 and 1-2 from 50+.

The 8-10 from 20-29 is concerning but who knows what factors played into that. IE Weather, missed block, bad snap etc.

However, Franks ranked #29 in terms of FG %. Median for FG % was around 85.4%
    He definitely needs to improve his accuracy.

35. datruth55

He also got one blocked last year if I remember with a few others also having a very low trajectory.

36. Dolphindrew

Dolphindrew Starter

I have serious doubts about Pouncey playing this year, especially early on. Asiata is going to be key, regardless. If you had to be a large sum of your own money on Pouncey being ready week 1, right now, which way would you bet?

37. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

He got the safeties mixed up but looks about right. I expect McMillan at strong even if Misi is *healthy*. If Timmons' turf toe was really the issue then he'll be fine at mike for a year or 2 before McMillan slides over. If it's his mileage, which is my worry, McMillan will slide over sooner than expected.

The interior of the oline should terrify everyone. Same ****, different year.

38. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Best roster in the league, can't wait for the season. For all the criticism Tannehill and Tannenbaum have received, it's kind of ironic they have been two of the most important people in turning this franchise around lol.

39. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Timmons had a shin injury last year. Turf toe in 2015. Missed 0 starts.

40. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

Shin. Turf toe. It's all the same. The question is was he slowed by injuries or did playing in a 3-4 for 11 years hovering around 6 foot 230 lbs catch up with him? He's not old but he's got high mileage and has taken a ton of abuse. We'll see.

kcbrown likes this.