Post Combine Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Combine Draft

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
1. Hasson Reddick OLB Temple --- Lots of ways Miami can go here. A safety like Obi Melifonwu might be a possibility along with a number of pass rushers. Reddick gives the Dolphins a versatile, athletic linebacker who can rush the passer.

2. Dan Feeney G Indiana --- I think I have him rated higher than most media types. Matt Miller from Bleacher Report has him at #55 so he could fit into Miami's spot. Despite the talk of getting by with serviceable guards, the Dolphins badly need a physical guard to matchup in the AFC East. If Miami goes pass rusher or safety in R1, Raekwon McMillian or Zach Cunningham are possibilities here as well. Carl Lawson of Auburn is another guy who could be on Miami's radar.

3. Corn Elder CB Miami --- Solidifies the slot corner position for Miami. A high energy player. Larry Ogunjobi is an interesting small school prospect at DT who could be appealing along with Sidney Jones of Washington who likely falls due to injury.

5. Bryan Cox Jr. Florida --- A developmental defensive end with tools to work with. Son of former Miami linebacker Bryan Cox.

5. Eddie Vanderdoes DT UCLA --- Loading up on defense, Miami takes a defensive tackle to compete with Phillips for some snaps.

5. Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma --- A first round talent with character issues, Mixon gives Miami some great depth at the running back position and some protection if Ajayi's knees don't hold up.

7. Devonte Fields Edge Louisville --- At least initially Fields could be a designated pass rusher. He needs to add NFL strength, but may be a good 7th round gamble.

When I think about out guard situation I can't help but bring it back to Pouncey being in the lineup. Despite Bushrod being one of the worst rated guards, things didn't seem horrible when Pouncey was healthy and of course Tunsil was great. I am leaning more towards get a decent guard in FA (even though I would really like Elflien for his versatility) and using the first two picks on defense. Reddick would be outstanding if he is there. I would look at McMillian in round two. Timmons is a temporary fix and McMillian is a leader and a run stuffer. Then again..getting him in round two, I would want to be sure round 1 is about a DE.

I also really want us to go out and get Webster in FA. Having Maxwell, Howard, Lippett, Webster, and McCain would allow more flexibility to get Sidney Jones, let him sit a year and evaluate Maxwell's future.

If our top 3 rounds went something like:
1)Reddick/Davis/Willis/Watt
2)McMillian/Baker/Feeney/Elflien
3)Sidney Jones/Corn Elder/Free Safety

I would be extremely pleased.

When I think about out guard situation I can't help but bring it back to Pouncey being in the lineup. Despite Bushrod being one of the worst rated guards, things didn't seem horrible when Pouncey was healthy and of course Tunsil was great. I am leaning more towards get a decent guard in FA (even though I would really like Elflien for his versatility) and using the first two picks on defense. Reddick would be outstanding if he is there. I would look at McMillian in round two. Timmons is a temporary fix and McMillian is a leader and a run stuffer. Then again..getting him in round two, I would want to be sure round 1 is about a DE.

I also really want us to go out and get Webster in FA. Having Maxwell, Howard, Lippett, Webster, and McCain would allow more flexibility to get Sidney Jones, let him sit a year and evaluate Maxwell's future.

If our top 3 rounds went something like:
1)Reddick/Davis/Willis/Watt
2)McMillian/Baker/Feeney/Elflien
3)Sidney Jones/Corn Elder/Free Safety

I would be extremely pleased.

Like those ideas. Honestly, I think Miami may take Melifonwu. Here's an ultra-athletic 6-4 safety with production, some versatility as a corner, and a player who put up some unreal numbers at the combine. Allen is another stopgap at safety so I think he's on the radar, along with Peppers.

That said, I'd really like to see the Dolphins get two pass rushers in the first two rounds. A combination of Reddick/Lawson or something like that.

If we can't get a DE/LB in round 1 then I want Peppers. He can play safety or lb in the nickel and I think he can give us a variety of looks to confuse offenses and put the get the ball in his hands. On base downs he could play FS, on 3rd downs he could play FS/LB/Nickel CB. And since we run out of the nickel for the majority of the time, we can definitely mix it up with a player like Peppers by combining his skill set with different players. For example, Peppers/Timmons as our nickel Lbs is a much different look than Timmons/Alonso, or Peppers/Alonso brings forth another set of skills.

Example 1 would be like if its 3rd and short with the threat of running or screens

Example 2 would be like 3rd and med/long with Peppers in the nickel or at FS

Example 3 would be like 3rd and med/long with more sideline to sideline range or cover 2

If we can't get a DE/LB in round 1 then I want Peppers. He can play safety or lb in the nickel and I think he can give us a variety of looks to confuse offenses and put the get the ball in his hands. On base downs he could play FS, on 3rd downs he could play FS/LB/Nickel CB. And since we run out of the nickel for the majority of the time, we can definitely mix it up with a player like Peppers by combining his skill set with different players. For example, Peppers/Timmons as our nickel Lbs is a much different look than Timmons/Alonso, or Peppers/Alonso brings forth another set of skills.

Example 1 would be like if its 3rd and short with the threat of running or screens

Example 2 would be like 3rd and med/long with Peppers in the nickel or at FS

Example 3 would be like 3rd and med/long with more sideline to sideline range or cover 2

Plus, he's described as an alpha type that other players are drawn to. That's big with Gase. I could definitely see that pick if he's there.

Would love to see Miami add Nick Mangold prior to the draft to make that less of a concern. I really dislike going into the draft with such a big hole at guard. As it stands the Dolphins have to get one early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very surprised we haven't attacked Guard more aggressively in FA

Undoubtedly this means they like one of our depth guys - Urbik, Steens, Young- enough that they would start them Game 1 if necessary.

Surprises me, but I'm not at training sessions so what do I know.

Undoubtedly this means they like one of our depth guys - Urbik, Steens, Young- enough that they would start them Game 1 if necessary.

Surprises me, but I'm not at training sessions so what do I know.

Yeah, I thought it was a smokescreen but apparently not. We'll see. It definitely looks like free agency is setting up for a high draft pick on the offensive line, though.

Back
Top Bottom