Post-free agency draft updates (visits, reported targets etc) | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post-free agency draft updates (visits, reported targets etc)

DT and Safety don't look very good either IMO. Dolphins have been looking pretty hard at DT, LB and DE the most. Lamp is the only OG they've really shown a lot of interest in as far as offensive line goes, they've met with two late round prospects in Sam Tevi and Dan Skipper but Lamp is the only early round O-lineman they've met with.

If we could trade down and get Lamp it might be a little more appealing to me. Otherwise its one less pick to address this woeful defense.

I'm gonna guess Arizona was the lone lb team...

I was thinking it was some inept clueless ballclub.

Despite being undersized for a traditional LB and playing as their money backer, Bucannon is bigger and much more physical than Peppers.

Dolphins met with Houston LB Tyus Bowser and CB Brandon Wilson at University of Houstons Pro Day on March 27. Wilson's numbers were phenomenal. He ran a 4.35 in the 40, did 24 reps of 225, had a 41" vertical and an 11'1" broad jump at 5'10 1/2" 201 pounds. The Dolphins sent new LB Coach Frank Bush to Houston to get a first hand look at Bowser.

Wonder if Bowser makes it to 54, or is he starting to get 1st round hype?

Wonder if Bowser makes it to 54, or is he starting to get 1st round hype?

Many have him as one of the, if not the, top-rated OLB in the draft. Best fit is a SAM in an Under scheme that puts him on the LOS, or 3-4 OLB.

Many have him as one of the, if not the, top-rated OLB in the draft. Best fit is a SAM in an Under scheme that puts him on the LOS, or 3-4 OLB.

Oh man. Know anything about that cb? That size / pro day numbers seem solid.. maybe nickel competition?? On cbs he is rated as a 7th or undrafted.

Oh man. Know anything about that cb? That size / pro day numbers seem solid.. maybe nickel competition?? On cbs he is rated as a 7th or undrafted.

Sorry, I do not. I've just started my draft research and have only dug in depth thru the top DE's and LBs so far.

JaBrill Peppers is the sort of guy that some creative DC may be able to make a special player. But, under most DC's, I see him as an underachieving tweener. Not a guy I'm interested in getting at 22. Sure, there are some things a creative DC can do with a hybrid SS/LB, but it needs to be the right fit. Nobody plays a CB as a DT, because no amount of football ability can compensate for the different physical requirements. IMHO, Peppers isn't a LB, and if he were to get his body into LB shape he wouldn't be a great LB. He is a SS, but maybe not as good in the pros as his college tape might lead someone to think. I'm just not on that bandwagon. For his sake, I hope he goes to one of those teams that can use him ... not in our division.

@NFL: "I believe @JabrillPeppers is a top 10 pick." http://snpy.tv/2nOOLhN

Hope Mayock is wrong on this one.....

I think in any draft...last years, the years before....he is the first safety off the board, he is coming out in a year where you have two absolute studs at the position which will cause him to fall. I think he gets snatched before our pick, although I would love him on the Dolphins.

He's a good prospect but don't fixate on the Combine results. To fairly assess him the focus needs to be on his actual performance in games. Remember Dion Jordan also aced the Combine and Ireland fell in love with his speed/size ratio.

Have to disagree on Jordan's Combine. At 248lbs, Jordan's best drill was the 40, but his next best was the 3-cone. His 7.02 is a fine time if you ace the jumps, but if it's your winning trait, it's not at the level you need for a 1st RD pick. Jordan performed poorly overall in the jumps. It wasn't a poor Combine performance, but he tested in the range of, but not as well as, Eli Harold, who was a 3rd RD pick. If an Edge doesn't have great results in the jumps or agility drills, you can throw his 40 in the trash.

Still, you're right that the tests are just a piece of the puzzle. For some positions, it accounts for a bigger piece, and for some positions, like WR, it's a VERY small piece. It's a big piece for Edge prospects, but I don't consider Wormley to be an Edge. He's a 3 or a 5-tech.

Have to disagree on Jordan's Combine. At 248lbs, Jordan's best drill was the 40, but his next best was the 3-cone. His 7.02 is a fine time if you ace the jumps, but if it's your winning trait, it's not at the level you need for a 1st RD pick. Jordan performed poorly overall in the jumps. It wasn't a poor Combine performance, but he tested in the range of, but not as well as, Eli Harold, who was a 3rd RD pick. If an Edge doesn't have great results in the jumps or agility drills, you can throw his 40 in the trash.

Still, you're right that the tests are just a piece of the puzzle. For some positions, it accounts for a bigger piece, and for some positions, like WR, it's a VERY small piece. It's a big piece for Edge prospects, but I don't consider Wormley to be an Edge. He's a 3 or a 5-tech.

Harold's problem was that he was raw, not that he didn't have elite athleticism. If he had been a polished LB Harold would have likely been a 1st rounder. Not trying to undermine your point, but if Harold is your data point, I figured you might want a robust evaluation of the player.

We really need at least one extra second or third round pick. I don't want to go into the fifth round without having addressed DE, LB, G, and safety.

I love the idea of getting the top DE on the board at 22, then following up with either Bowser/Davis or Baker/Williams or Dawkins/Johnson at 54. Need to be able to cover the other two in the third.

Harold's problem was that he was raw, not that he didn't have elite athleticism. If he had been a polished LB Harold would have likely been a 1st rounder. Not trying to undermine your point, but if Harold is your data point, I figured you might want a robust evaluation of the player.

He was raw, but his athletic traits fall short of what you're looking for in a 1st RD pick. If you're talking about an off-ball LB, yeah, he's plenty athletic, but he's an Edge.

Back
Top Bottom