Post Game Thoughts - Patriots Slaughter #1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Game Thoughts - Patriots Slaughter #1

J. David Wannyheimer

Writing in pencil on laminated cards since 2011
Club Member
Reaction score
Without any preamble:

- The game was officially over when the Patriots called the fake punt on the first drive. 4th and 10 from your own 30 yard line, and you call a fake punt in the first quarter of a scoreless division game against a team that is clearly inferior? You are making a statement: We have so much contempt for you that we are going to run this fake punt, we are going to convert it, we are going to score 6 points, and we are going to laugh at you.

- Really, the game was officially over when it was put on the schedule, but I guess you could say that the Patriots officially covered the ridiculously high spread when they called that fake punt. I guess that would be the better way to put it.

- I like Adam Gase, but if he does not realize that he needs to make changes on his coaching staff, and how he manages his coaching staff, then maybe Steve Ross SHOULD fire him. Darren Rizzi, who has been a pretty good coach in the past, has been overseeing units that are an absolute dumpster fire this season. Matt Burke, what are these coverages? What is happening to our run defense? Oversight is needed from the head coach. This goes way beyond a lack of talent.

- The outcome of this game was never in doubt. I have actually started typing up this thread in the first quarter. It is time for the decision makers who run the Miami Dolphins to take a long, hard look at why the outcome of this game was never in doubt. We played the Patriots close in Foxboro last season, and yes, I understand that the quarterback situation was different for both teams, but at some point the Dolphins also have to ask why the Patriots offense is able to crush the Dolphins' defense so easily in every contest, even when they are on their second or third string quarterback? Why even when Miami has its starting quarterback in the game, it can only manage one good half in Foxboro?

- Matt Burke, maybe hanging out with gorillas in the off-season wasn't cool enough? My recommendation for this coming off-season: Go backpacking in Afghanistan.

- Jarvis Landry, how hard is it to not block someone in the back? Every single game, Landry is blocking guys in the back even when they're not even in position to make a play. Sometimes he gets flagged for it, sometimes he doesn't. Either way, how the hell has a coach not noticed this on film and told him "STOP PUTTING YOUR HANDS ON THE BACK OF A DEFENDER'S JERSEY?"

He fumbled again today, too. You gotta focus, Juice.

- Kenyan Drake fumbled the football. Again. Oh, and the officials actually looked to see who recovered the ball on that one.

- Ted Larsen is not good. This is not surprising, but we were told by Mike Tannenbum and his sock puppet that this was going to be a great guard signing for us because of metrics or some stupid bullshit reasoning. Well, it wasn't, just like Dallas Thomas was never going to be good. If you're going to spend millions of dollars on a guard in free agency, why not spend a little more and get a guy who is actually good? UDFA Jesse Davis was playing better at LG and he's on the books for next to nothing.

- Jesse Davis had one bad holding penalty/flub late in the game, but otherwise played well at the third different OL position he has been asked to play this season. Sam Young also looked decent at right tackle in pass protection. I'd rather settle for that bare minimum of semi-competence than watch highly paid guys with higher athletic ceilings blow their assignments and false start all the time.

- Kenny Stills continues to impress me. He broke up an interception at the start of the second quarter and was getting open out there when I could see him. He was country mile open on the flea flicker and despite one of the worst throws you will ever see by Matt Moore, Stills was somehow able to get back to that ball and force a pass-interference call. He got paid, and instead of getting fat and lazy like many other Dolphins players, decided to work hard to become a better football player. Respect.

- Charles Harris showed something earlier in the season that made me think he just needed time to develop. Well, let's get developing, kid.

- On the play that ended at 12:15 in the 2nd quarter (Patriots drive after the Jones TD), there was a very ticky-tack holding call against the Dolphins in the secondary, while there were multiple blatant holds committed by the Patriots against the Dolphins pass rush.

I'll go ahead and say it, that was a very, very, very, very suspect flag. Yeah, Miami stinks and was going to lose this game, but perhaps someone was feeling a little green about the spread? Or is it that Brady needs to be protected at all costs? Whichever it is, this is why I have stopped watching the NFL outside of the one game each week that Miami is unfortunate enough to be a part of.

- The Dolphins clearly recover a football on a punt return fumble very early in the third quarter, and yet the Patriots are awarded the ball. The officials didn't even look at the damn football, they just signaled "Patriots ball, first down."

- Why was the play clock reset in the 3rd quarter when the Patriots were attempting to punt from the Dolphins' 36 yard line? They were clearly trying to take a delay penalty, let the clock run down, the play clock reset, and then it was run down AGAIN. How incredibly stupid or crooked are these referees? Or both? The Patriots got literally A FULL MINUTE to sit there screwing around before the snap. What the hell is going on?

It is sports entertainment, and I'm sick of it.

- I caught a few minutes of the Bengals/Browns game, because it was more entertaining than this trash. I saw the Bengals with third down and goal to go at about the five yard line, when Billy Lazor dials up a play in which the primary and secondary guy in the pattern run into each other and get tangled up in front of the goal line, with more receivers standing close by, ready to join them on the turf. Boy, did that take me back.

- But not to pick on departed Dolphins coaches when we have great targets right here, how about Damien Williams in short yardage? Again? Adam Gase keeps doing that, I might make fun of him more than Billy.

- Matt Moore was once again given the unenviable task of starting a road game against a team that has the Dolphins' number. However, I can blame no one but Matt Moore for some of the dreadful throws he made in this football game. Quite frankly, he was pretty bad for most of the day.

- 4th and 2, Miami can't get the play off because Mike Pouncey is confused and looking around like an idiot. Best center in the NFL, folks. I'm not even going to go into the fact that he stunk in pass protection today and offered nothing in the running game. Please dump that salary. Please.

- I don't care what our draft position is, honestly. We'll find a way to screw it up. I actually can't wait to see which stupid, penalty prone waste of flesh we manage to run the card up for this time in the first round. We'll be able to immediately point to that guy and say "That guy is a lousy football player."

Not much else to say, because I have written too many words already. Miami really stinks right now, but to make the Dolphins play against the refs on top of the Patriots is what really makes it unwatchable. And we get to see this again in two weeks.

Miscues miscues miscues

Fooled on a fake punt on 4th and 9 when they had New England stopped for a potential 3 and out.

Tank loses Dorsett for a wide open 40 yard catch

Landry block in the back brings back a Dwilliams 1st down play

Verner hold extends New England drive

Chase Allen hold extends same New England drive

Cooks wide open on 3rd and 14

Personal foul on MCCain, gets ejected sets up New England nicely for another score

Wake offsides on 3rd and 5, gives New England 1st down

Moore int before halftime

Drake fumble.

What an undisciplined team

People need to get fired NOW! Front office needs to GO! Gasy needs to be on the hot seat and potentially FIRED at the end of the season. He doesn’t have it, he isn’t a HC. Gase is maybe a college OC.

@schadjoe
The Miami Dolphins D has allowed 1,659 yards over the past 4 games.

Your point about draft position is very, VERY true. We'll screw up the 4 th pick just as easy as the 14th, or 24th. So fans rooting for losses doesn't make any sense at all.

Offense was hamstrung by awful QB play by Moore, throws were off the mark more often than not. Was not able to adjust line blocking in obvious blitz formations leading to 7 sacks. Defense will never be good with Alonso in the middle. This guy is attacked week in and week out as he is awful in pass coverage and possibly worse with his run defense He is never in the correct gap and waits for O lineman to engage him before he even moves his feet. The fake punt after the first series clearly shows the coaching inferiority the Dolphins have on their side line. Can't keep games close when you get beat in all phases of the game, very embarrassing to be a fan of this **** show the Dolphins bring every week.

If we lose 10 in a row, Ross has to fire Tannebaum and his cronies right? I mean Somebody must pay for the inept roster right? Oh who am I kidding. The front office and coaching staff all has built in excuses that Ross will fall for hook, line, and sinker.

There comes a time in every game over the 5 game losing streak, where you can sense the players just don’t care and give up. I have to say Laramy Tunsil sucks, so does Larsen and Pouncey, at least Davis and the Young played like they love the game. They both played well. Kiko Alonzo could be glued to a TE’s ass cheek and still wouldn’t be able to cover him. Charles Harris has no business in the NFL, he sucks too. Cam Wake played his tail off today, thank god for that. Matt Burke OMFG, he’s a piece of work. The man has lost whatever hope I had for him with the early season success. He CANNOT call a game to save his life. Jakeem Grant is fast, big deal, he offers nothing else. As for Mike Tannenbaum, thanks, you $&#$&@*&$# for turning my beloved Miami Dolphins into the New York Jets of South Beach. Your calling card has finally been cashed in, this team sucks. You can take your spending habits and shove em’ Moron!!!

Last edited:
Your point about draft position is very, VERY true. We'll screw up the 4 th pick just as easy as the 14th, or 24th. So fans rooting for losses doesn't make any sense at all.

That’s certainly what history would indicate. What I want to know is what draft pick Tannenbaum trades away this week to replace Williams? I don’t know how bad he was hurt, but I would suspect a broken collarbone based on his reaction.

That’s certainly what history would indicate. What I want to know is what draft pick Tannenbaum trades away this week to replace Williams? I don’t know how bad he was hurt, but I would suspect a broken collarbone based on his reaction.

Well lucky for us the trade deadline has passed, so no more bad trades....this year

Back
Top Bottom