Post Game Thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Game Thoughts

J. David Wannyheimer

Writing in pencil on laminated cards since 2011
Club Member
Reaction score
Here are my post game thoughts, in no particular order:

- The Dolphins lost the football game.

- Michael Thomas is a nice special teams player, but an absolutely dreadful safety. Any time that our defense is forced to rely on Michael Thomas, our defense stinks. Memo to Mike Tannenbaum, safety is an important position.

- Reshad Jones should not be asked to do the job of a free safety. He is a great strong safety, but he is not a good free safety. Maybe we should just go get a free safety? Trader Mike? Hello? I'd slit a nun's throat for Brock Marion back there right now.

- The personal foul called on Jones that led to Oakland's last touchdown was truly one of the most pitiful calls I have ever seen in any sport at any level of competition. I see people calling for cuts and jobs to be had over stuff on this board all the time, well how about for that? One of those zebras needs to lose his job, and also be publicly flogged for that call.

- Mike Pouncey needs to be the first cap casualty of the off-season. Do I even need to explain why?

- Devante Parker, nice highlight reel catch in garbage time. How about taking your 3rd down route to the sticks and then coming down with a contested football?

- Donkey Kong Suh is a great football player and if this team cuts him for 3.9 million dollars in cap savings, we are the dumbest morons on the entire planet.

- Bobby McCain has quietly developed into a competent slot corner. Credit to DBs coach Lou Anarumo for developing yet another young cornerback who needed a lot of work, who will now surely leave the team in free agency after we've spent three-plus years making him respectable.

- Jay Cutler and Julius Thomas were the two best players on offense tonight.

- Kenyan Drake, it is better to have died as a small boy than to put that football on the ground.

- Tunsil's a bust until he proves otherwise. Sorry, he's been that bad that I have to use the B word until he makes me look stupid for using it. Please make me look stupid, Laremy.

- Hey Matt Burke, maybe you should take some time off from moonlighting as an extra on Duck Dynasty and call some coverages that account for #87. Just a thought.

- Ultimately, the biggest thing I notice with the Miami Dolphins -- and this is ever since Jeff Ireland took over as General Manager -- is that we are just chock full of football players who are both dumb and can't handle pressure. That's a bad combination. I know this might seem like an overreaction, but I would look closely at every single player who committed an egregiously stupid penalty tonight and start thinking about how quickly they can be replaced.

- Play-calling was good tonight. You can't blame the coach for the same group of stupid, choke-prone players for stupidly choking yet again. They did it under the old coaching staff and they'd do it under a brand new one, too. They're just stupid chokers.

- The Dolphins lost the football game.

And those are my thoughts on the game. Some people are really mad about the result, some people are renouncing their fandom, some people are crying about Jay Ajayi, and some people think the NFL is rigged. I don't know. It was a football game. Some things were good, and some things were bad. It wasn't a bad football game, and that's far more than I can say for every other Dolphins game we've seen in primetime lately.

I guess I'll take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree on Tunsil. We’re going to be stuck giving him time to “develop” because of his draft status, but he is abysmal right now.

I can’t wait for the day I never have to hear Mike Pouncey’s name again. I will say, though, that Pouncey is the perfect “leader” for this group of pansy offensive linemen we’ve assembled. He leads by example...a poor example.

Agree with everything you just said, especially the part about Reshad playing FS. He's a top SS in the league, and a mediocre FS.

I guess your not going to mention we got zero pressure on Carr?And the playcalling was not spectacular besides the gutsy onside kick.We dinked and dunked too much 34 completions for 311? 3cbs out for the opposing team and landry has 6 catches for 32 yards lollololol

I guess your not going to mention we got zero pressure on Carr?And the playcalling was not spectacular besides the gutsy onside kick.We dinked and dunked too much 34 completions for 311? 3cbs out for the opposing team and landry has 6 catches for 32 yards lollololol

I don't know, I saw Carr make some bad throws and throwaways because of pressure. I also saw a strip sack at midfield.

I just want o see Brendel and Asiatta take over for Bushrod/Pouncey at this point. Those two are just getting by on the fact that they are veterans and its exhausting.

Agree on all counts. Couldn’t have said it better.

I will add that I think our WR corps is vastly overrated. Landry simply doesn’t warrant the money he is seeking. Parker is steadily approaching b-word status for me as well. These are guys that would look good on a decent offense with great QB, good O-line etc. but not true offensive stars who can take over games or make D coords sweat. Not sure if they fall into the “dumb choker” category but I don’t think either is particularly bright.

I don’t know if I want to watch this team fight anymore. I’d actually be just as pleased with a 4-12 record as 9-7. Team needs talent and a high first round pick would be so welcome, much more so than getting trounced in the wildcard AGAIN, which would definitely be the case without RT if we even managed to get there.

Another thing. We pissed away Wake’s career, and we’re doing the same to Suh.

Agree on all counts. Couldn’t have said it better.

I will add that I think our WR corps is vastly overrated. Landry simply doesn’t warrant the money he is seeking. Parker is steadily approaching b-word status for me as well. These are guys that would look good on a decent offense with great QB, good O-line etc. but not true offensive stars who can take over games or make D coords sweat. Not sure if they fall into the “dumb choker” category but I don’t think either is particularly bright.

I don’t know if I want to watch this team fight anymore. I’d actually be just as pleased with a 4-12 record as 9-7. Team needs talent and a high first round pick would be so welcome, much more so than getting trounced in the wildcard AGAIN, which would definitely be the case without RT if we even managed to get there.

Another thing. We pissed away Wake’s career, and we’re doing the same to Suh.

Suh still has a good 5 years left. Plenty of time to make it count. Remind me how old Reggie White was when he finally got that ring.

The OLine won't let them throw the deep ball...and Cutler isn't that great of a deep ball thrower...Gase is calling the game to the strengths of the guys on the field...

I just want o see Brendel and Asiatta take over for Bushrod/Pouncey at this point. Those two are just getting by on the fact that they are veterans and its exhausting.
Bushrod and Pouncey better be on another roster next year.

Lots of excellent analysis and opinions in there Wanny. Thanks!

Additionally,

-Jesse Davis performed well. Finally! We have someone who knows how to open a run lane! Yes, he did get two quick penalties, but the first one was a BS ticky-tack call that shouldn't have been called, and the second one on the very next play was likely just nerves from this being his first start and having just been flagged. I saw immediate improvement over Steen, and far better play than we have had from Bushrod as well.

-Jay Ajayi, you are already missed! When Ajayi got hit 2 yards in the backfield, he would get 0 to 1 yards most of the time. When Damien Williams gets hit two yards in the backfield he gets -2 yards almost every time. Drake did well in that regard, but he's not a tackle-breaker, and in traffic he couldn't hold onto the ball from a hand swipe. Once LB's start putting hats on the ball, I fear for Drake's handle and his health. But, we sure did feature throwing to our backs! Still, the problem of the OL still shines. This was our 5th one-score game, but the first without Ajayi and the first we lost. I do not think it is a coincidence.

Lots of excellent analysis and opinions in there Wanny. Thanks!

You're welcome, but I don't know that any of this qualified as analysis. I just thought I'd spitball my post game hot takes, because having one thread for spitballing post game hot takes is a lot more fun for me to read than having to sift through like 20 of them.

As for Ajayi and Drake and Williams, all I can say is that we're going to have another 8 games in which a handful people pop out of the woodwork to be schweens and post super snarky comments any time any of these players does something (or fails to do something), and I really just don't care about those three that much. Our offense sucked with Ajayi and it'll probably suck with Kenyan Drake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom