Post Game Thoughts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Game Thoughts

Here are my post game thoughts, in no particular order:

- The Dolphins lost the football game.

- Michael Thomas is a nice special teams player, but an absolutely dreadful safety. Any time that our defense is forced to rely on Michael Thomas, our defense stinks. Memo to Mike Tannenbaum, safety is an important position.

- Reshad Jones should not be asked to do the job of a free safety. He is a great strong safety, but he is not a good free safety. Maybe we should just go get a free safety? Trader Mike? Hello? I'd slit a nun's throat for Brock Marion back there right now.

- The personal foul called on Jones that led to Oakland's last touchdown was truly one of the most pitiful calls I have ever seen in any sport at any level of competition. I see people calling for cuts and jobs to be had over stuff on this board all the time, well how about for that? One of those zebras needs to lose his job, and also be publicly flogged for that call.

- Mike Pouncey needs to be the first cap casualty of the off-season. Do I even need to explain why?

- Devante Parker, nice highlight reel catch in garbage time. How about taking your 3rd down route to the sticks and then coming down with a contested football?

- Donkey Kong Suh is a great football player and if this team cuts him for 3.9 million dollars in cap savings, we are the dumbest morons on the entire planet.

- Bobby McCain has quietly developed into a competent slot corner. Credit to DBs coach Lou Anarumo for developing yet another young cornerback who needed a lot of work, who will now surely leave the team in free agency after we've spent three-plus years making him respectable.

- Jay Cutler and Julius Thomas were the two best players on offense tonight.

- Kenyan Drake, it is better to have died as a small boy than to put that football on the ground.

- Tunsil's a bust until he proves otherwise. Sorry, he's been that bad that I have to use the B word until he makes me look stupid for using it. Please make me look stupid, Laremy.

- Hey Matt Burke, maybe you should take some time off from moonlighting as an extra on Duck Dynasty and call some coverages that account for #87. Just a thought.

- Ultimately, the biggest thing I notice with the Miami Dolphins -- and this is ever since Jeff Ireland took over as General Manager -- is that we are just chock full of football players who are both dumb and can't handle pressure. That's a bad combination. I know this might seem like an overreaction, but I would look closely at every single player who committed an egregiously stupid penalty tonight and start thinking about how quickly they can be replaced.

- Play-calling was good tonight. You can't blame the coach for the same group of stupid, choke-prone players for stupidly choking yet again. They did it under the old coaching staff and they'd do it under a brand new one, too. They're just stupid chokers.

And those are my thoughts on the game. Some people are really mad about the result, some people are renouncing their fandom, some people are crying about Jay Ajayi, and some people think the NFL is rigged. I don't know. It was a football game. Some things were good, and some things were bad. It wasn't a bad football game, and that's far more than I can say for every other Dolphins game we've seen in primetime lately.

I guess I'll take it.
I like to add:
This team looked like a bad college team or a team filled up with fresh out of High School players. How often do we have run sideways and back to lose a 1st down we already had or we could have made by just falling forward? In addition to that how often do our receivers run back before running forward after catching the ball. The highlight on that was Landry running an almost full 5 yards towards our own endzone before turning around and going the right way.
That TD over Jones: absolutely amateur like. I have no words. That ball was thrown like a punt with a lot of hangtime and both players are looking at the ball all the way yet the guy with 2 catches all year gets it and our probowl DB is a step next to the receiver.
How often can you get burned on D by the same play over and over and over and over again?

It was more a bumbling and stumbling yesterday than anything else. Happless and helpless, confused and disorganized.

Oh one more thing: Landry better picks up the playbook otherwise he can go away. On our first TD he motions to the left. A frantic Cutler waving his arms at him to go to the other side. He eventually did. The play went to the right. How can a receiver in his second year in this offense not know the most simplest plays? If Cutler doesn't tell him to motion to the right this play goes nowhere.

QB play matters folks. Cutler was good but he didn’t make plays to threaten a defense. You need to be able to threaten a defense to win.

Tannehill would’ve won that game last night and that’s no doubt in my mind. I took for granted at how good he was and I’ll say it all year.
As a matter of fact Cutler looked like Tannehill (minus the mobility) yesterday. A lot of safe under 10-yard passes. High percentage, short to medium passes.

Totally agree about our need for a FS. I've been saying this for a while now.

Unfortunately for us.....we wont be getting a FS for the foreseeable future.

Why? It seems our coaches believe in that "interchangeable" safety bullshit.

We have Jones on a big contract and just signed TJM to a healthy extension.

So we can either get used to playing loose coverage in the secondary or get used to getting burned deep.

Agree with the last part in particular. Sure, we lost, but we looked like an honest football team that isn't very good instead of like a team that should be drafting in the top 3. What we lost yesterday most of all was a fantasy. When the offense was pathetic we could fly with the illusion that the defense was very good; now that the offense is looking a more respectable kind of bad, we can see the defense isn't very good, either. I call this progress. I'm more satisfied with this football team than I've been at any point this season.

Holding, poster #1, fifteen.... what? did you say it's over? thank god.

Yeah the Jones penalty was bad but it wasn't even the worst in this game let alone the worst in the history of all sport.

I've been trying to come up with a way to describe the Gase pout, I like yours but its not specific enough. Could be thread worthy. But I'm sick of him touting himself as a bag of emotions along with Landry and Ajayi. Remember a few weeks back the announcer was saying Gase was saying him Landry and Ajayi all need to help keep each other in check as far as being too emotional. How'd that work out? First of all all I see from Gase is a range between straight face angry and pout face angry. Second of all Rizzi is the most emotional guy on the team and it isn't even close.
tenor.gif

I know it's not the face we are all talking about, but this one made me laugh, so figured I'd post it till I found a good one.

- Michael Thomas is a nice special teams player, but an absolutely dreadful safety. Any time that our defense is forced to rely on Michael Thomas, our defense stinks. Memo to Mike Tannenbaum, safety is an important position.

And those are my thoughts on the game. Some people are really mad about the result, some people are renouncing their fandom, some people are crying about Jay Ajayi, and some people think the NFL is rigged. I don't know. It was a football game. Some things were good, and some things were bad. It wasn't a bad football game, and that's far more than I can say for every other Dolphins game we've seen in primetime lately.

I guess I'll take it.

I'm thinking McDonald is gonna make a big difference the next 8 games -- if he can stay healthy. Miami would have won this game if he were back there already.

Good takes, btw.

LD

Did anyone catch Cutler screaming at Landry for being in the wrong spot last night? Landry was in motion, and Cutler let him have it as he was passing him.

Found that interesting in light of the “studying the playbook” comments from Gase.

And in light of the "Cutler doesn't care" narrative. People just can't accept someone who doesn't fit the expected mold of how you should show you care. If you say, then why did he not stay retired, people will say the money. But why would he play with broken ribs, then. And with this OL. Sure, he didn't get hit a lot, but he couldn't have known that in advance.

1st off season move should be to sign the best available guard. Then draft Pouncey's replacement no later than round 2.And pray that Tunsil plays up to his draft status when the rest of the line is better.

Maybe it would work out better to draft the best left tackle available
and move Tunsil back to guard where he wasn't such a liability.

Agree on a center to replace Pouncey

Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas
Height: 6-5. Weight: 317.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

7/17/17: Ragnow could be in the running to be one of the top center prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft. Over the past two seasons, he hasn't allowed a single sack while taking on excellent competition. As one can expect coming from Arkansas, Ragnow is also a tough run blocker. He is a technician who enters his senior year having made 26 straight starts. As a sophomore, Ragnow was the Razorbacks starter at right guard. He has the size to be a guard or center in the NFL.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018C.php#ixzz4xfBdhy8e

- Reshad Jones should not be asked to do the job of a free safety. He is a great strong safety, but he is not a good free safety. Maybe we should just go get a free safety? Trader Mike? Hello? I'd slit a nun's throat for Brock Marion back there right now.

- The personal foul called on Jones that led to Oakland's last touchdown was truly one of the most pitiful calls I have ever seen in any sport at any level of competition. I see people calling for cuts and jobs to be had over stuff on this board all the time, well how about for that? One of those zebras needs to lose his job, and also be publicly flogged for that call.

- Mike Pouncey needs to be the first cap casualty of the off-season. Do I even need to explain why?

- Devante Parker, nice highlight reel catch in garbage time. How about taking your 3rd down route to the sticks and then coming down with a contested football?

- Donkey Kong Suh is a great football player and if this team cuts him for 3.9 million dollars in cap savings, we are the dumbest morons on the entire planet.

- Bobby McCain has quietly developed into a competent slot corner. Credit to DBs coach Lou Anarumo for developing yet another young cornerback who needed a lot of work, who will now surely leave the team in free agency after we've spent three-plus years making him respectable.

- Jay Cutler and Julius Thomas were the two best players on offense tonight.

- Kenyan Drake, it is better to have died as a small boy than to put that football on the ground.

- Tunsil's a bust until he proves otherwise. Sorry, he's been that bad that I have to use the B word until he makes me look stupid for using it. Please make me look stupid, Laremy.

- Hey Matt Burke, maybe you should take some time off from moonlighting as an extra on Duck Dynasty and call some coverages that account for #87. Just a thought.

- Ultimately, the biggest thing I notice with the Miami Dolphins -- and this is ever since Jeff Ireland took over as General Manager -- is that we are just chock full of football players who are both dumb and can't handle pressure. That's a bad combination. I know this might seem like an overreaction, but I would look closely at every single player who committed an egregiously stupid penalty tonight and start thinking about how quickly they can be replaced.

- Play-calling was good tonight. You can't blame the coach for the same group of stupid, choke-prone players for stupidly choking yet again. They did it under the old coaching staff and they'd do it under a brand new one, too. They're just stupid chokers.

I guess I'll take it.

Yes, Miami has a number of needs, BUT Tannehill and 2 above average OGs and this team is 6-2.

This -

"Sure, we lost, but we looked like an honest football team that isn't very good instead of like a team that should be drafting in the top 3. What we lost yesterday most of all was a fantasy. When the offense was pathetic we could fly with the illusion that the defense was very good; now that the offense is looking a more respectable kind of bad, we can see the defense isn't very good, either. I call this progress. I'm more satisfied with this football team than I've been at any point this season."

I pretty much agree and all the comments have been on the mark. Our defense was retooled to stop the run mostly after last year's disaster on that front and to a big extent it is doing that until it eventually wears down. But the loose coverage in the secondary is just painful at times. What other teams give up 3rd and 9, 3rd and 12, 3rd and 15 etc etc so frequently? I thought the play calling on offense improved but sometimes I really question our defensive schemes but maybe that's just calling around what we have? Will McMillian and TJ change that considerably? Cause we absolutely need to spend out draft picks on the offensive line.

We did not put much pressure at all on Oakland last night. Is their O Line one of the top pass blocking lines in the NFL? I don't know how they rank but I was pretty damn envious watching them given the #*$%show our offensive line is. It's been said a million times, and we all knew it going into the season that our offensive line was our most glaring deficiency. That and losing our starting QB took us out of this season.

Too bad Cutler took 8 weeks to shake the rust off, he actually looked capable last night, despite the inability to crack a deep ball against a terrible defense. It's hard to gauge watching on TV but I often wonder how much separation our much vaunted receiving corps gets on their deep routes to start with. I was so excited for Parker's breakout season, played him in Fantasy last night. Guess we will keep waiting for this "monster" to arrive (if he ever does)

I guess your not going to mention we got zero pressure on Carr?And the playcalling was not spectacular besides the gutsy onside kick.We dinked and dunked too much 34 completions for 311? 3cbs out for the opposing team and landry has 6 catches for 32 yards lollololol

It sure feels like we NEVER blitz anymore when I'm watching these games. The lack of pressure is a huge problem, and we hardly ever get it rushing just the front 4. I can't stand giving these QBs 5 seconds every play to find someone open.

I don’t see how any positives can be taken after losing at home to a struggling Raiders team that isn’t very good. They have an awful defense and yet again we couldn’t score points. Our defense was a massive let down pretty much all night. This was the likely the easier game we have left besides maybe TB.

- Commented in the game thread about Thomas, heck alot of us said ealry on this year if he sees nickel or safety play we are in trouble.

- Those penalties on offense were just so frustrating, we could have overcome the Drake fumble if not for so many penalties. The defense gave you two golden chances late in the game with good field position-Nothing.

- I thought we should have tried another deep ball or two to Parker, we might have gotten a flag. The one Cutler
Deep ball was really bad though.

- its amazing where we are with this OL. If it doesn’t get addressed this offseason lots more blame needs to go around.

Back
Top Bottom