POTENTIAL 2013 OFFSEASON & DRAFT, PLUS LOGO thoughts, general Dolphins talk !!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adrianbello360, Dec 28, 2012.

1. adrianbello360

adrianbello360 Active Member

I love the idea of our team being the up and coming team, and with 50 million cap and 5 top 100 picks. With the logo change and everything else, this offseason is one to remember.

For those who read my post in the other 2013 offseason + draft post, I redid a couple of things but kept most of it. I felt I should share with the rest of the Finheaven community

Potential Miami Dolphins 2013 Offseason
    Draft:
    1) Dion Jordan DE Oregon

2a) Robert Woods USC or Justin Hunter Tenn. WR- Both TREMENDOUS upside with potential to fall to 2nd

2b) Zach Ertz TE Stanford (or bpa seam TE)

3a) Xavier Rhodes CB/FS FSU

3b) Ryan Swope WR Tex A&M

4) Bacarri Rambo FS/SS Georgia (R. Jones teammate, played together for years)

OR
    Phillip Thomas FS/SS, Fresno State : Led Nation in Interceptions with 8

5) Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida

6) Tyrann Mathieu CB ex-LSU (Honeybadger) Probably not this far down in draft, great flyer pick though

^^> OR BEST AVAILABLE CB

7) Steve Greer, ILB, Virginia

Greer was very productive in 2012. He had 122 tackles, 7.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks and six passes broken up

Also to add to my draft above:
    Dolphins have about $50 mill cap space to work with, if they restructure D. Patterson (CB picked up from waivers) opens up to 55.5 million

Resign :
    Bush 3 yrs-5 mill each
    Hartline 4 yrs -3.5mill
    S. Smith 4 yrs- 4.5 mill
    Starks 3 yrs - 5.5 mill
    Thigpen 3 yrs - 1.5 mill
    OT N. Garner 2 yrs - 2 mill
    CB Patterson 3 yrs 1.5 mill (restructuring his deal opens up another 4 mill cap space)
    QB Devlin 3 yrs - 1 mill

Unrestricted FAs :
    Greg Jennings WR 4 yrs - 6 mill (other than this year, durable, dependable, hard worker with great skill set. Familiar with Philbin’s offense, adds marketable player. I can go on and on. He may be older than Wallace or Bowe, but is by far best fit.)
    Andy Levitre OG 4 yrs - 4 mill Great inside Pulling guard from Bills. One reason Spiller/f. Jackson have huge holes to run in
    Andre Smith OT 2 yrs- 2 mill
    Greg Toler CB 3 yrs - 4 mill
    Micheal Johnson DE/OLB 4 yrs - 4 mill CIN Bengals -same frame as Dion Jordan... two 6'7'' pass rushers with Vernon AND WAKE... :0

That all adds up to 44.5 mill. With 11 mill left to sign rookies

Makin our Depth chart to look like this :

QB : Tannehill - Devlin

RB : Bush - L. Miller - D. Thomas - M. Thigpen

FB : J. Lane - C. Clay

WR : Jennings - Hartline - Bess - J. Hunter OR R. Woods - R. Swope - R. Matthews

TE : Z. Ertz - C. Clay - M. Egnew

OL : LT- J. Martin - N. Garner. LG - Incognito - IDK lol. C - Pouncey - J. Samuda RG - Andy Levitre - X. Nixon

RT - J. Jerry - A. Smith

FS - Clemons - B. Rambo OR P. Thomas

SS - R. Jones - J. Wilson

CB - S. Smith - G. Toler - R. Marshall (Nickel, his best strength)- T. Mathieu - N. Carroll

I may have focused on secondary a lot but in this passing lg it's very important.

ILB - Dansby - Spitler - S. Greer

OLB - Burnett - Misi - D. Jordan - Micheal Johnson

DT - Starks - Soliai - Odrick

DE - Wake - D. Jordan - M. Johnson - O. Vernon

K - P - Carpenter, Fields

Kick / Punt Return - Thigpen - Mathieu

I obviously understand that thinking ALL this would happen is a stretch, BUT it isn't unrealistic...
    Coach Philbin is taking this team in the right direction. We know it, the media knows it, and most importantly the PLAYERS in the NFLknow it. They want to come to an up and coming contender, and I for one am extremely excited for this upcoming off season and next yr!

And I always think of when the Pats played the Giants, and their pass rush was impeccable, I want that for our team

LOVE TO HEAR CRITQUE AND TALK FINS!!!

Also, how about the new logo??
    GO FINS!!!! :thanks::thanks:

2. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

I like but I dont see some of the players in that draft falling!

3. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I'd be okay with grabbing Hunter then Woods. Double down? We need secondary help though I like your plan best of all the ones I've seen, except I don't like Greg Toler too much but other than that I like it a lot. I'd get the FS over Rambo just because I was under the impression that he's more of a SS like Jones is already?

*although instead of Swope another option could be Tavon Austin

4. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

I really do like Phillip Thomas though! He is the type of guy we need on our defense! A playmaker who can create turnovers!

5. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

I like the draft but I'm not zure Bush, Hartline, and Smith come that cheap. I'd also like to do more than just sign our guys.

6. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

i will be pissed if we get woods. ertz wont drop that far and i dont think we take a te even tho we should

7. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Question why in the world would Patterson restructure his deal to that low, thats like minimum salary.
    He makes more if he gets cut then he can resign. he has 2 years left on a 17 million dollar contract he is not going to restructure that low unless he is an imbecile

8. adrianbello360

That's why I said they restructure. They cut him and sign him to what he is worth, because that is NOT anywhere near his value. He is a slight grade above minimum, I don't see him being any better than average. Medium ceiling. Nothing worth paying out that kind of money for

9. adrianbello360

If Fasano is willing to come back on a agreeable contract than if be happy to have him back, he is a good leader, great blocker and is an underrated pass catcher. But he isn't the Seam threat TE that the NFL is moving towards. If resigned than we could use that pick toward an OG or OT depending on what they decide to do with Jerry.
    And why don't you like Woods? Crisp route runner with above average speed built in the G. Jennings mold, what's not to like?

10. adrianbello360

Between Thomas and Jones, if we lock up our CBs than our secondary would be a feared one ! I love the way he plays. My only concern about him is the competition he faced at Fresno State. Some players have flourished from there, some have flopped. Hard to tell what will happen, always hope for the best though lol

11. adrianbello360

I definitely like the Tavon Austin idea, I don't know if he will be available that late though. And if not Toler than there is Derek Cox from Jax. I wouldn't want to break the bank though, there Re a lot of good CBs that won't demand as high of a salary.
    I do think that it should be a priority for Miami to resign S. Smith. Without him our secondary becomes less than mediocre. We would have nothing going for us, just making more holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

If our off-season went like this I would think I died and went to heaven!! Only thing though, you forgot to include Clemons new contract because he is also a free agent, also i'm not sure that Andre Smith is a true fit for the offense that Philbin wants to run. In Green Bay his lineman were always on the lighter side and much more agile that Smith so i'm not sure about the fit for that amount of money. Other than those things, this would be a dream off-season!

13. PlexGod

PlexGod Starter

im not the biggest fan of getting jennings in here, i would much rather have Wallace or Maclin here. But if we picked up jennings, woods in the draft and Tavon austin instead of swoop i would be the happiest guy ever. Would be even happier if we got wallance woods and austin and signed Cook the TE.... that of course is a pipe dream and will never happen cuz we r not that lucky but i can dream.

14. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here. Finheaven VIP

Nixon kinda sucks. Trust me. Any decent edge rusher will run circles around him in this league.

15. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

That is the world's greatest scenario. Those contracts are super low, those draft picks are all amazing because you have them about 1-2 rounds below where they will actually go

16. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You miss my point, he makes more money getting cut than at the contract u mention, nobody is that stupid.

17. Digital

Digital Starter

I love your thought process and would be happy with the players you mention. My only reservation is that I think when the draft arrives, many of those players will not be available where you have them picked ... but if they were I agree they'd be great picks. Justin Hunter and Xavier Rhodes will both be gone before we pick in round 2, with a good possibility Zach Ertz will be gone as well. Sure, I'd LOVE to get all 3 of those guys, but I just don't think that's realistic.

Rhodes is a great fit for us because he has the size to match up against some of the big elite WR's we're seeing and the speed to cover the deep threats. He's from Miami so I don't really think we have the worry that he'll lose focus here. I suspect he'll be the third CB selected after Milliner and Banks but before guys like Amerson and Poyer, so he's probably an early 2nd round pick, and I'd be shocked if he lasted to our 2a pick. He's definitely not lasting until our 2b or 3a picks though. :(

Depending upon how Ertz measures, he could be the first TE taken and is definitely a guy who could go anywhere from late 1st through mid 2nd, so we may have a shot at him, but it is an iffy proposition at this point. He'd be a great addition also though, nice point OP.

Justin Hunter is even more of an enigma than Ertz. If he tests out healthy he'll be selected in the top 20 for sure. Physically he resembles AJ Green or Randy Moss with height, long arms, superior leaping ability to be the fantastic high-pointer that is too big to be covered by CB's. But, he also has that elite 4.43 sprinter speed of Green and Moss that freightens defenses deep on every play. If he's healthy, medically sound and his speed has fully returned, his measurables will put him around where our 1st round pick is, and he may go before that. But, this is going to be a very very deep WR draft (lucky for us!). So, if he doesn't test well and runs a 4.5, teams may prefer to wait until the 2nd round and take whomever is left ... but Hunter would still only be behind--at most--Allen, Patterson and Austin, so be picked before our 2a pick most. If we want the guy, regardless of how he tests, we need to take him in the 1st round. IMHO that would be a very good choice.

We all love the fact that we have 5 choices in the top 3 rounds, but the odd part of that is that most of the picks we really want are late 1st through early 2nd picks like WR's and TE's. Think about it, that range will likely see guys like this go off the board (in no particular order): Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz, Justin Hunter, Cordarrelle Patterson, Tavon Austin, Robert Woods, Terrance Williams, DeAndre Hopkins, Da'Rick Rogers. That's a lot of quality WR's and my top two TE's. I'm sure some of those and a few other quality ones (e.g. maybe Steadman Bailey, Quinton Patton) will slip past the early 2nd, but clearly that's the meat of what we want to come away with from this draft--a corps of pass catchers to grow with Ryan Tannehill.

So, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see us trade into that zone ... most likely trading our 1st rounder back. Teams will want to trade up for LT's which are scarce this draft, or one of the workout warrior pass rushers who are sure to convince some GM's they're the next JPP and others that they're the next Vernon Gholston. But, the last one or two of those trench guys may be dangling around our pick and we might pick up decent value to drop back into the fertile late-1st/early-2nd range. I can't see Ireland passing that up.

18. adrianbello360

I can definitely see your point, depending on how Hunter grades out your completely right. If we wanted him we may have to use our 1st. But if we sign a top flight FA I would be comfortable with our 1st pick going to the Defense, than at the least one 2nd and one 3rd on WR/TE.
    We need to put some talent around Tannehill, and keep the scarce amount of talent we DO have.
    If Rhodes isn't available than I would be happy with Amerson. I know everyone is terrified of adding him because they think he will be a bust, but I think with the right coaching he can be very good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

20. fishmaster

fishmaster Member

We can only pray. Good work

21. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I like the Jordan and Hunter start to the draft. I am not a fan of Wood, but admittedly part of that may be how poorly USC receivers have faired in the NFL in recent years. Love the Micheal Johnson pickup from Cincy. That, combined with Jordan, would give Miami the type of pass rush to take the defense to the next level and he has familiarity to Coyle, which is huge in free agency and adopting to a new team. I don't think we'll be able to sign as many free agents as you have, but I like the direction you are heading.

22. Robert35

Robert35 New Member

One thing I hope is that they keep tannehill. He i
    mpressed me for his age. I have a question that I'd like to ask. Opinions please. Why don'
    t defensive players go under the offensive lineman's shoulder when looking for a sack. Opinions, arguments against

23. RZA

RZA Scout Team

In terms of FA aquisitions Greg Jennings will be 30 when the season starts but has only really been injured this season. He will fit this system like a glove, and obviously has ties with Philben. If he can stay healthy he has plenty left in the tank and might not be the short-term solution many are suggesting (see Wayne, Reggie). He would also provide veteran leadership, has been in the pro-bowl and has a ring so knows what to do to succeed and could provide invaluable leadership to a young WR core. In addition however we need to draft one, maybe two new WR and as long as Steadman Bailey is one of them I think we would have a very nice group. Jennings would be plug and play and would produce from day one, we all know drafted WR's usually take a couple of season's for the light to come on.

In terms of the TE position if GB cut Jermichael Finley I do not see any harm in bringing him in here AND resigning Fasano. I didn't realise this but not only does Finley have experience in Philben's system he is only 25 and has all-pro potential if his head is screwed on. Miami could provide him with a fresh start to achieve this. ALSO, he is Jovorskie Lane's half-brother which could be huge in attracting him here.

These 2 FA's mean that we can concentrate on Defence in the draft after we pick up a WR and OL. Assuming we resign Bush the HB position is set and could be even better depending on what Jonas Gray can do when fully healed up.

Exciting times ahead for sure...

24. da1nonlydre16

da1nonlydre16 Well-Known Member

no way Michael Johnson signs for anything less than what De Mark Anderson got from the bills. And same as Levitre, he is getting paid like a top 5 guard. And I wouldn't draft a pass rusher in the first. Wr or cb..would vastly improve the team if this happened though.