Potential Cuts coming Throughout the NFL

Discussion in 'General NFL Forum' started by motormouthmaz, Aug 31, 2017.

1. motormouthmaz

motormouthmaz Rookie

I thought a thread would be good to start. Seattle might release Jeremy lane which I feel we should have interest in. They are also potentially cutting Krease and Collins

artdnj likes this.
  2. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

great idea and we should be looking at some sure to be great cuts or trades about to happen this week.

3. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

NFL sorely needs a D-league so that it can continue to develop these fringe players. It's a damn shame that a multi- billion dollar business can't fund such a project that would greatly help every aspect of the sport.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  4. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

I believe they only have 8.4 mil in space. I'd be surprised if anything other than cheaper depth is added.

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I would be interested in lane

6. ReppinThe941

ReppinThe941 Well-Known Member

Why would the NFL invest in this? How exactly would they make a return off of these eye sore fringe players having a league?

Oh and they basically have this already for free - NCAA.

Remember NFL Europe? Those games were AWFUL!

BenchFiedler likes this.
  7. Sons Of Shula

Why? b/c depth and practice times in the NFL are thin and limited. It would only improve the game to have such a program.

NCAA? How the **** is the NCAA supposed to develop players after they are drafted or entered the league in another manner? That comment does not make any sense.

NFL Europe was ahead of it's time. The quality of the product is insignificant to it's purpose. No one thinks the NBA's, NHL's, or MLB's minor league programs are high quality. That's not the basis for those organizations. It's to further educate and develop players.

djphinfan likes this.
  8. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

seems to work out just fine for the NHL and the MLB

Sons Of Shula likes this.
  9. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

That's actually a very valid point. It can only improve the quality of the product on the field. It would allow them to plant their minor league teams in other areas that don't typically have easy access to the current stadiums. Orlando, as an example has a perfect field already to be the home of a minor league dolphins team.

[​IMG]

Atila and Sons Of Shula like this.
  10. ReppinThe941

Again, the NFL is all about that $$$ on the quarterly statements.

Why would they need to invest in this, when there is a near professional league (NCAA) that is developing these young players before they are primed for the big boys.

NFL Europe was ahead of its time? NFL Europe was an absolute joke and cost the league $$$ and its viewership was atrocious, hence why it does not exist anymore.

Are you right that it would help with the education and development of players? Yes. Does the NFL care about this? No. They claim to, but they do not.

What does NFL care about, once again, $$$$.

You don't spend millions of dollars developing a D - League that nobody is going to care about or watch. Whether it helps educate the players or not, its about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Did I say its about the $$?

You are going to counter that further educating / developing the players is a wise investment for the longevity of the league.

Simple Business, not broke, don't fix it. Thanks NCAAA.

BigNastyFish and Ikema like this.
  11. Sons Of Shula

I don't know whether it's funny or sad that you think the NCAA actually prepares players for the NFL.

12. ReppinThe941

Yeah because people actually go and watch minor league baseball for whatever reason.
    Some programs more so then others....

If it was as poor of a league as you claim, then far less rookie players would be able to make such an immediate impact on Sundays.

Draft picks would not be the highest form of currency an NFL GM could get their hands on.

You can certainly also argue college football creativity and play design (offensively) even proceeds the NFL on a few fronts.

But you are totally right, the MASSIVE machine that is college football and all of the coaches that get paid big bucks are all idiots.

And that some B squad NFL coaching staff with all of the unwanted players left around, are all channeling their inner Vince Lombardy.

13. Sons Of Shula

C'mon. And just how many rookies make an immediate impact in their first year in the NFL? That percentage is incredibly low.

The majority of revenue comes from TV revenue; almost 2/3's to be precise. Companies would also buy commercial time for televised D-league games as well. After all, it would be an extension of the NFL and they are already wildly successful with cornering advertisements. Companies throw themselves at the NFL for such an opportunity. That alone would subsidize the league.

Where did I ever say that NCAA coaches are "idiots"? Slow your roll, buddy. That couldn't be farther from what I believe as the truth.

There are many, many brilliant coaches at both the collegiate and even high school levels. Just b/c I stated that they are not getting them ready for the NFL means no so such thing. First and foremost, it's not their job as coaches to prepare them for the NFL. It's their job to to coach them as collegiate athletes which have a very different set of surrounding circumstances then the professional level.

Sarnics13 likes this.
  14. ReppinThe941

Major revenue comes from the viewership of said games.

How has the "Off Beat" football market worked out for all of these fly by night leagues that have come and gone over the years?

Also, you think with football running 4 nights a week as is, even IF people were interested, when would you televise?

Would you just run the D-League during the off season, but then the coaches are no "developing & educating" the players when they really need them to - during the season.

I think I have proved my point, all you did was backtrack from your quote of college football being trash.

And I kept it about the $$$$$$, which is what the NFL does.

I'm done with you today SOS. Peace Out.

15. Sons Of Shula

No it does not. Even fan attendance and ticket sales mean very little for revenue purposes when compared to TV revenue.

The issue is that besides NFL Europe, none have been associated. NFL Europe was also successful in helping players train and develop for the NFL but it's experimental location proved to be the detriment.

Absolutely not. That's utter BS.

16. ReppinThe941

Get the last word big boy :)

Ikema likes this.
  17. Sons Of Shula

[​IMG]

Ikema likes this.
  18. ReppinThe941

HAHAH

this is almost as funny as you thinking people are going to watch D-league football when the real damn thing is already on 4 times a week for the NFL and 3 times a week for College.

19. Sons Of Shula

Some one could really benefit from a reading comprehension course.

20. ReppinThe941

I don't understand you man.

Attack my rational, but the childish i'm right - your wrong, you cant read, your uneducated.

I mean, if you are going to be "that guy" on this site. Then don't result to personal attack when someone has a different perspective then you do.

Don't be the Kiko Alonso to my Leveon Bell. Rise above brother.

21. Sons Of Shula

It's not a personal attack, it's an observation to how you have responded to the information that is available to you.

I never said a large amount of people would watch a NFL D-league or even be interested in it. I said the purpose would be for the betterment of the league in developing fringe players and in turn raising the quality of the game and it's players. Fundamentals like tackling and blocking are severely lacking in today's game due to depth players not getting the proper training time.

Yet, your tangents are focused on your personal agendas that I never alluded to such as college coaches being idiots or that fans would not be interested in a minor league organization. I never said such things.

*you're

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Sarnics13 and lurking like this.
  22. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Talk about childish. You're proudly wearing that hat.

23. ReppinThe941

Dude I know your point, you are missing mine.

I agreed it would help development / education.

I said the NFL wouldn't pony up because its an investment they do not need to make. Because of what the NCAA currently offers.

and you are the individual trying to knock someone else's reading comprehension?

Your end of the banter is already taking us in circles...

So I will now, officially, bid you adieu.

24. Sons Of Shula

Again, the NCAA does not and cannot offer what a minor league could. The NCAA is a farm league for underage athletes; nothing more. It doesn't provide players with any further development after they step off their college campus and into the professional realm.

25. Njphinsfan

Njphinsfan A True Fan

Thinking this thread needs a new title. I'm sorry I clicked on it. Lol

26. Sons Of Shula

With the massive amount of players that are about to be cut this weekend, a discussion on what to do with and how to utilize the approximate 1,100 players that will soon hit the market is valid.

27. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Is this thread about the upcoming 1200 cuts or revenue all of a sudden? I'm confused.

28. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Go over it slowly, you'll figure it out.

29. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Sometimes we get a little off topic. It happens. We could have a thread on how to bake a cake and once we start talking about eggs we might get two or three pages on if the chicken or egg comes first.

Always Next Year likes this.
  30. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

A farm system for the NFL would be interesting and enable teams to develop players. That's really the piece that is missing with the NFL. Baseball obviously does a great job with player development and you often see players emerge 3-4 years down the line and a lot of unexpected types who end up in the majors. I guess Canadian football is kind of the alternative.

I think it would be a money maker for the NFL as well with teams in cities that couldn't otherwise see a professional NFL team.

31. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Just increase the practice squad by a additional 12 plus players and add 5 players to the roster 3 more active for game day. You could finance part of it by decreasing players salary marginaly.

32. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Get back on topic folks

fishfanmiami likes this.
  33. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

I moved this to the NFL forum since it's general discussion and not entirely Fins related

nick1 and Sons Of Shula like this.
  34. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

I like the idea of a D-League... I agree with everything SoS says in regards to it... but it wont get televised. It wont make money that way.

35. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

Egg was before the chicken, no doubt about it

:thumbsup

36. Sons Of Shula

Probably right in that it wouldn't receive nearly the same support by TV revenue. It would take some sort of re-branding or marketing scheme to even make it a viable venture in that aspect. Though if it were an offseason type program I know I would tune in just for the fact that there would be football on in the dead months of the NFL season.

37. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Logic suggests :

Chickens and all birds are the descendants of dinosaurs - dinosaurs were hatched from eggs - thus the egg must predate the chicken.

Next time the question is asked tell them they didn't say the chicken egg, just the egg. Thus the obvious answer is there were eggs before the chicken.

38. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

and THAT my friends, is how we completely end a thread.

39. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

Eggsactly!

40. Phinz1972

Phinz1972 Make me a sammich

It could perhaps. I mean ESPN airs arena football league on ESPN2 I believe it is. Pair that with ESPN is grasping to hang on/get viewers, it wouldn't be amazing views but there would be enough to warrant airing it & I would watch a D-League over the Arena Football craziness any day of the week. I think it would be great, not just for fans during the dead months of no football, not just the players in it, but also teams could do something like allow head of scouting be the mini-GM of the team, break in aspiring ex players that want to be coaches, etc... and you set up yourself up with knowledge as a franchise player wise, staff wise if ever need to make moves/hires.