Pouncey making ROY push?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinAtic8480, Oct 6, 2011.

1. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

2. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

Offensive linemen don't win that award,however if anyone should ever it'd be Pouncey. I honestly saw 3 of the 4 games this year,and haven't facepalmed once

Hope he keeps it up.

3. dFinsRule

dFinsRule Scout Team

Pouncey and Fields are our Mvp's so far this year , How depressing!,Pouncey looks like the real deal!

4. jlfin

jlfin old pro

And yet some of the more uninformed members of FH have referred to Pouncey as just a 'decent player' in their lame attempts to attack Jeff Ireland's procurement of talent.
    Ireland may have made some mistakes, but Pouncey isn't one of them

5. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

Its Newtons to lose.

6. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Finheaven VIP Donator

This Pouncey guy, is he the same one that couldn't snap a ball in college, the same high 'wasted No 15' draft pick of the fins, the same 'he is a guard, not a centre' Pouncey?

If this guy goes on to be an all pro, which he very well could, then No 15 wasn;t too high a spot after all.

7. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Next offseason is huge to find two more O-linemen to add to this line. With Long and Pouncey, there are some lynchpins in place for a while. Hitting on another interior guy in the mid rounds will be huge. I would swing for the fences and snag a FA Right Tackle in FA.

8. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Cam Newton has OROY locked up.

9. FinsBR

FinsBR Dolfan from São Paulo - Brazil

As I said before, We still need to draft a LG, a RG and a RT on the first round. Just keep the same FO and coach and it will happen! Unfortunately by then Long will start to get old, so we can start all over.

That´s it! Why try and fail drafting a skill position on the first round when we can draft lineman and be safe?

C´mon guys. No matter how many Pro-Bowls Long has, he still wasn´t worth passing on Ryan.

10. Pennington's Rocket Arm

Pennington's Rocket Arm Sucking for Luck Since 2004

Long is an All-Pro player. Ryan is a Bad Player.

what

11. KingNick88

KingNick88 Ray Finkle

Just because Ryan has done well in Atlanta, doesn't mean that he would have done well in Miami....

12. Pennington's Rocket Arm

but...he HASN'T done well. what the hell are people looking at? he's beyond mediocre.

13. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Amazing.

We are only scoring a single touchdown per game. Our pass defense is non-existant. We cant consistently get to the other teams quarterback. We haven't won a game and are legitimate contenders for the first overall pick in next years draft. Oh, and our starting quarterback was (probably) knocked out for the year.

And yet, people still feel that center was the way to go because Pouncey is playing adequately. Despite him playing at a "rookie of the year level", we still cant win a game. Thats the impact of a center. Thats our 15th overall picks impact on this team.
    "Safe" picks like Pouncey are the exact reason why we are in this mess.

14. Pennington's Rocket Arm

what player could we have taken that has played as well as Pouncey has that would prevent us from being 0-4?

15. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Probably none would have allowed us to run the table.

But 1-3? Perhaps Ryan Kerrigan. Prince Amukamara. Maybe even Andy Dalton(who i did not like, but who is also a offensive rookie of the year contender).

16. Pennington's Rocket Arm

Dalton would not be playing better than Henne right now. Kerrigan maybe?

but, guess what? you don't draft players to win the first 4 games of their rookie season! Pouncey is very very good.

fun fact: Henne and Dalton both have 4 TDs, 4 INTs and 868 yards passing. really makes you think......................or not.

17. FinsBR

FinsBR Dolfan from São Paulo - Brazil

Henne reached his peak, the same can´t be said about Dalton.

18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

pounceys got no shot at oroy if cam newton keeps playin anywhere near the level he's playin thru 4 weeks...forget about it

19. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

so by that logic any good qb would do bad here possibly

20. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

maybe Phil taylor or prince but really who cares one player is not goign to keep us from being 0-4 unless he is a helluva qb. maybe Mark Ingram would have here but has not been dominant yet,
    pouncey has no chance at rookie fo the year, he is on a horrible team and nobody that votes for rookie of the year is going to pay that much attention to the line. So far its Came Newton in a runaway and its not even close although phil taylor is looking very good at a position that is also quite overlooked

21. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

If Pouncey keeps it up I will gladly admit that I was wrong about him playing center (although I still think he would be better at guard as we have multiple centers and nothing at LG), but I still don't necessarily think he was the best pick there.

22. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

IMO, with the way the interior o-line was after last year, grabbing a stud center was a smart pick.
    settling on Colombo at RT? not so smart

23. islandah

islandah FinHeaven VIP

Whether it was the right pick or not doesn't matter now, what matters is that at least he's playing his position at a high level. Having the 2 most important positions on an offensive line locked down with young talented players gives us an advantage when trying to lure a new hc and gm here. Those are 2 positions that won't have to be addressed for years (barring injury).

24. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

or till Big Jakes contract is up which I believe is 2013

25. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

Oh God :bobdole:

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

he keeps playin the way he's playin right now and money won't be much of an issue with jake...right now he's gulp average at left tackle

27. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

This is year 4 of our same philosophy. And we still aren't winning. Oh, and we are drafting players that are expected to start right away. When we drafted Pouncey he was immediately named starter. So if they aren't expected to win right away, if the team isn't winning 4 years in, then at what point do you expect those players to perform well enough to win? Especially when those picks are "playing so great!"

Fun fact: Andy Dalton has won games this year. Chad Henne has not. And i would imagine a 2-2 record compared to a 0-4 record does make people think.

Pouncey could be the best center to ever play(he's not, hes not even the best center named Pouncey), and you are still seeing exactly what sort of impact that makes.

28. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

Ya, so what. You could say that about any player.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

if andy dalton wins rookie of the year i'm orville redenbacher...

30. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Ayatollah of rock and rolla

Agreed. He's the best rookie QB I've ever seen. I've watched every snap he's taken so far, and it's been beyond impressive. He's where I thought he might be three years from now.

As for DROY, I would vote for JJ Watt but I think Von Miller is going to end up winning it. The guy has four sacks and two forced fumbles already.

31. Pennington's Rocket Arm

it's almost like they're on two totally different teams or something

32. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Your right, one of those teams went 4-12, the other 7-9.

Not to mention one is working with a first time coordinator(at any level outside of Arena or UFL). Plus its a well known fact that Marvin Lewis is one of the best coaches in the history of the game, right?

33. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Thank you. I, for one, was thrilled with the pick. We got a great player to fill a position of need.

34. Pennington's Rocket Arm

Total Defense YPG
    Miami: 30th
    Cincinnati: 1st

uhh. i think there's a slight difference.

35. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Ah, so total yards per game is the problem. So we should have drafted a defensive player instead of Pouncey?

Got it.

People can keep coming up with reasons as to why Pouncey is some all-world pick that every other team in the draft was a fool for passing on. At the end of the day, its still the same: we aren't winning games. With the 15th overall pick we could have had just as talented a player at a position of more value. I said it then and i have yet to see anything to change my opinion, we didnt get enough value for what we spent on that draft pick. That our team just didnt improve that much with that draft pick. And an 0-4 record seems prove that logic.
    I suppose thats how this regime will be eulogized: Could have taken someone more valuable.

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

no doubt...we didn't get good value for that pick...interior oline in the top 20 is never good value...but it appears we got a good player at least

37. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Actually if he keeps playing like he is right now we will have problems
    The question is will money be an issue for Ross?

38. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I got no problem with the Pouncey pick. He's a good player and there's nobody we could have picked in his stead who would have miraculously saved this abysmal defense.

39. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

GREAT PLAYER:err:
    after 4 games and he's a great player...what the he** has happened to us as fans

40. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

That award belongs to Cam Newton who by the way I wanted the Fins to draft badly!!!!!!!

41. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Again, when we fire this regime thats the best thing that we could say about them.

Heck, you summed them up perfectly in a sentence "never good value, but it appears we got a good player at least". Look at our drafts and apply that sentence, its damn apt.
    And as we are seeing, just getting "good players" is not nearly good enough. We are in this mess because of that philosophy, because we are so ready and willing to settle for "good".

42. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

But everyone knows that Newton can't throw. He's a run-1st QB. He'll be lucky to break 200 yards in a game during his first 5 seasons in the NFL.

43. circumstances

circumstances Starter

after the ronnie browns at #2, tedd ginns at #9, jason allens at #16, can you seriously knock a mid-first round pick that looks like he may have the potential to be a perennial pro-bowl quality starter? regardless of position? i'm not sure about the huge impact any of you expect out of a 15th overall pick, but teams (not just the dolphins) can also BLOW IT.

44. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

I cry every time I see him play. What could have been, what could have been.
    Chubbs

45. CharlieTheTuna

CharlieTheTuna Well-Known Member

Its great that we seem to have hit on both our 1st round oline picks with this regime. I refuse to view Long as anything other than a top 2-3 LT in this league. He would be sitting out on any team where the coach isnt desperatly playing guys to save his job.

What this really shows is how limited the upside of picking multiple lineman with such high picks can be for a rebuilding team. Those are the types of picks you make to solidify a team. You pick Long to protect your Tom Brady and you grab Pouncey to block for your Adrian Peterson (Not that the QB or RB has to be #1 in the league). Instead we are picking these guys to block for nobodies.

Just like in basketball, there is only one ball. Having guys that can make plays without the rock is vital, but you don't go try to build your team around a Dennis Rodman no matter how great he is at his job. First you get your Jordan, and then its your job to get guys that makes that guys job easier. Right now, we're trying to win by drafting a team full of Rodman's.

Football teams are no longer solely built from the line-of-scrimmage and out. Playmakers on both sides of the ball are what win games, but besides Vontae, we haven't used a 1st on anyone that could have become that type of guy.

We're still trying to win the LOS (and failing) while forgetting that there's this whole scoreboard thing thats pretty important too.

TedSlimmJr and FinsBR like this.
  46. Pennington's Rocket Arm

i'm enjoying this current meme of Finheaven posting of seriously blaming the team for actually drafting a potential perennial Pro Bowl player, one of the best in his league at his position.

we're staring deep into the abyss now.

47. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

If we have Dwight Stevenson here.......I'm happy.

48. hoops

hoops exited stage left

absolutely...this regime has always gone the safe route imo in the draft with the top pick at least...and while jake long was the safe pick he was at least the most talented at his position and you can see where teams find value in a left tackle with the top pick given its a premium position and paid as such by the league...

but in 2010 trading down for odrick and misi when we had a talent like dez bryant staring us in the face screamed quantity over quality and not surprisingly its played out that way...and pouncey at #15 was a safe pick also this year...

but i also have to admit that i can only hold ireland responsible for the 2011 draft and thus far i think we've gotten good value from the 4 early picks we made and ireland must be at least given some love for that...but his existing nfl personnel evals and add ons to this roster this offseason at least when i know it was him pulling all the strings have been horrid...

49. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

Dwight was amazing, but he was even more amazing because of who he was blocking for.
    Chubbs

50. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Looks that way, but there is a lot of things that could happen between now and the end of the season.....If it ended now, Newtin would be 1st by quite a bit, and Miami would have 2 reps in the top 5 vote for OROY.