pound squat and pound power clean ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

pound squat and pound power clean ?

fastball83

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Could anybody tell me what's this ? and for what attributes (strengh legs or others). I have found this stats in combine result and I would like know what's this.
thanks ;)

fastball83 said:
Could anybody tell me what's this ? and for what attributes (strengh legs or others). I have found this stats in combine result and I would like know what's this.
thanks ;)

Pound squat looks to me like its the weight that a player can squat lift, which is a measure of mostly leg and glut strength. Squats are a good overall lower and torso strengthening exercise.

Power clean is the movement of the barbell from the floor to the chest. It is the initial movement of the olympic clean and jerk event. It is a good measure of overall strength and explosiveness. The weight must be lifted from the floor in an explosive movement and the body must be dropped below the weight to catch it at chest level. The weight you can power clean reflects your strenght in the lower and upper body and your quickness. It is not an excercise that can be "muscled" like the squat.

Does anyone know what the NFL olineman are power cleaning. Im a 6'3 295lbs freshman Right Tackle at appalachian state and am going to set a new power clean record before I even get to see the field @ 335 to 340 range. Wondering how far I am off of what the big boys are doing. All you ever here about is 40's and 225 bench for reps.

How is vertical leap measured? I have never been tested for that, observed it, or read a description of how it is done. Obviously it reads leg strength and spring (and has to be negatively affected by overall bodyweight), but there are a number of ways one could gauge that.

What's the deal on how the feet are set -- or is there a step or more involved? What specific dimension is measured? Does this involve a crossbar? I'm assuming this involves bending the knees, as opposed to a stretched-out vertical reach.

How, exactly, is it measured?

P4E...I think I know that one....there are measurements running up a wall or something like that....The player first measures how high he can reach.....then standing with both feet on the floor he jumps straight up to reach as high as he can....the vertical jump is the difference between the two.

:hmmm: at least that's how they could do it...

P4E said:
How is vertical leap measured? I have never been tested for that, observed it, or read a description of how it is done. Obviously it reads leg strength and spring (and has to be negatively affected by overall bodyweight), but there are a number of ways one could gauge that.

What's the deal on how the feet are set -- or is there a step or more involved? What specific dimension is measured? Does this involve a crossbar? I'm assuming this involves bending the knees, as opposed to a stretched-out vertical reach.

Check out this cool video of the Texas Pro Day. It shows Roy Williams (and other players) doing a bunch of drills, including the vert. It'll answer your question.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/multimediatours/videoclips.html

Click on--- 3/24 Pro Timing Day

P4E said:

I've seen photos where the player stands flat footed next to a pole that has markers on it every inch or so. When they are hit with the hand, they move around the pole. The player first stands and reaches as high as possible to move the markers for his standing height. They then jump from the flatfooted position and swipe at the highest point they can reach. The difference between the original marker and the highest one they could move is their verticle leap.

theres a guy who graduated a few years ago from my high school who could squat 500, hes not even that big. guys ripped though

im 14 and im doing 230, maybe im on the way too.

Interesting story. Pros are tested on benching 225 for reps. It seems like the high numbers you always hear are in the upper 20's, some in the 30's. And this is for guys who weigh up to 300-350 pounds (linemen). Well I witnessed something truly impressive this year at the Arnold Classic Fitness Expo. The Animal company, which makes Animal Stack, had a contest for benching your bodyweight for as many reps as possible. I saw a 250 lb. guy do his bodyweight 52 times. It was crazy, and one of the most mpressive things i saw there that weekend.

Back
Top Bottom