PR & Special teams points. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PR & Special teams points.

MizzouG

More sweat n peace, the less blood n war
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time we ran a kickoff or punt return back. These are points we really need especially with our offense only playing one quarter of good football per game.
So the question I ask right now...

Is Wes Welker the best man on our team for this job?:confused:

Everytime he gets the ball he'll might challenge the return, or falls down right when he should be hitting his hole and using his blocks.:tantrum:

Make a switch and see what happends.

Didn't Welker return one last year??
Or was it 04?
Anyways, I think we should keep Welker where he is
He may not get TD's but he can make plays that hopefully lead to TD's:dolphins:

A returned kick for a TD rarely happens, a KR for a TD has happened twice this year and there have been 5 returned punts for TD's.

MizzouG said:
I can't remember the last time we ran a kickoff or punt return back. These are points we really need especially with our offense only playing one quarter of good football per game.

Everytime he gets the ball he'll might challenge the return, or falls down right when he should be hitting his hole and using his blocks.:tantrum:

In the future, Welker may very well be limited in some of his special team duties, but not for performance reasons. Wes Welker does a more than sufficient job on special teams and it is one of the reasons he is still on this team even though everyone was writing him off the roster this last preseason. As far as limiting his sp. teams play, I believe it would most likely be to preserve him now that he has a larger role offensively. He is actually 7th in the NFL in punt return average and although he is 23rd in kick return, I think he is better suited for those duties rather than punt return. He can get a better head of steam on kos than he can punts and sometimes he scares me on punts with the occasional muff, even though he usually gets it back.

As far as scoring points on kick and punt return, like byroan said above, td returns are rare. They should be viewed as a bonus, not something you can depend on. Good field position should be the realistic goal.

I also noticed Welker leads the league in fair catches, what kind of analysis can be made from that statistic?

MizzouG said:

Hopefully based on his sure hands on offense he will see a reduced role on ST's. They are not getting it done on KO's so something has to change. He has done a decent job on PR but you have to have a speedster returning the ball with break away ability. Wes has been commendable but he is not the break away threat we need.

Welker is doing a very good job. He also holds the records for most punt returns for a TD in his NCAA career....gotta be patient. I think it might be good to try Vick on the kick returns every now and then, but Wes is the man on punts....he rarely muffs or fumbles a punt, and he makes good fair catch decisions.

Back
Top Bottom