practice update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

practice update

dolphan78

Scout Team
Reaction score
Besides the obvious bad news, any reports on yesterdays practice?

NFL: View from the Texans side of workout 8/7/04@7:34 a.m.
Aug. 7, 2004, 1:09AM

TEXANS NOTEBOOK
Capers, players like results of joint workout

There's no such thing as a win or loss in a practice setting, but the general feeling is the Texans' offense got the best of Miami's defense during the morning session.

The offensive line seemed to win in the trenches, the passing game was crisp and quarterbacks David Carr and Tony Banks were decisive.

"I was really excited today," Carr said. "You kind of get a feeling for your team as you go along. Our first year, if we had been playing this Miami team, there would have been some nerves.

"We beat this team in the first game last year, and there could have been something in them that said, 'They're not going to do that to us in practice for two days,' but we stepped up."

Anderson impresses
Because they use a 3-4 defense, the Texans always are looking for undersized defensive ends who might be able to make the transition to outside linebacker.

That's why the Texans used a pair of late-round draft picks on Charlie Anderson and Raheem Orr. Anderson's progress has created a buzz around camp.

"The coaches have been working with me really hard on my drops," Anderson said of his pass-rush techniques. "I don't know if it's a natural position for me, but I think I'm making a nice adjustment. I'm just trying to get better every day.

"The speed has been the biggest adjustment for me. I'm not a big guy (6-4, 243), but the strength of these guys and the intensity they have every day, that's a transition. You have to come ready to play every
day."

Injury update
Two Texans were hurt during Friday's combined workouts with the Dolphins.

Center Dennis O'Sullivan suffered what is being diagnosed as a sprained right knee and had to be carted off the field during the afternoon session.

"Until they go in and examine it, I don't know how significant it is," Texans coach Dom Capers said.

Tight end Deitan Dubuc severely sprained his ankle during the morning workout.

Offensive lineman Garrick Jones (back spasms) and linebacker Shantee Orr (sick) did not complete the afternoon workout.

Linebacker Kailee Wong missed his third straight workout to be with his pregnant wife, Marissa, who is about to deliver.

Good feelings all around
The Texans and Dolphins managed to complete two workouts Friday with no fights.

"(Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt) and I talked about, 'Hey, we're not here to fight,' " Texans coach Dom Capers said.

Drop city
Texans coach Dom Capers preaches protecting the football, so he wasn't pleased with a few turnovers during Friday's workouts.

During the morning session, wide receiver Albert Johnson had the ball stripped from behind by Dolphins cornerback Will Poole.

Poole then collected the ball and returned it 30 yards.

Fullback Ed Stansbury fumbled a screen pass, and it was recovered by the Dolphins.

On another play, there appeared to be some confusion in a snap exchange between center Luke Butkus and quarterback Tony Banks.

"Protecting the ball has to be a mind-set," Capers said. "There's no statistic that influences the outcome of the game more than the takeaway-giveaway ratio.

"If you want to be a good team, it has to start with not beating yourself."

--------

ROBINSON GOES BACK TO SCHOOL
Texans rookie cornerback Dunta Robinson said he was more anxious than nervous about Friday's practices with the Miami Dolphins.

It was the first time in his brief professional career that he has faced enemy fire.

He admitted being a little awestruck by Dolphins linebacker Junior Seau, whom Robinson can remember watching while he was a young football fan.

Robinson said he had a good day, particularly during the afternoon workout when he cleaned up some of his mental errors from the morning sessions.

"There are a lot of tricks in this game, and you have to recognize the tricks and get where you're supposed to be," Robinson said.

Read the rest at:

http://insite.chron.com/user_regist...DA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/2723935

nice now our defense get pushed around by the texans offense, oh well

It's the Texans' local report. They're not gonna say anything different.

Thanks for the quick update! Will Poole continues to create turnovers!!!

Back
Top Bottom